Early Season Geese need pointers

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Early Season Geese need pointers

Postby NodakHunter » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:49 pm

I live in Nodak and my party and I are having a hard time with the early season. Basically we scout hard, find the X, then set up and no birds are coming when there was 350 there the day before. This has happened several times so far and we have been skunked twice. Any advice? We are hunting over 3 doz, and light calling and flagging if we do at all. Geese just dont want to decoy with us when we do have geese. Only twice have we had small flocks of 4 or 5 decoy with us. Any suggestions?

As much as a pain as it has been, it sure feels good to be back in the blind. Cant wait until I can see all the pics from around the country as Early Season opens.
NodakHunter
hunter

Re: Early Season Geese need pointers

Postby Bull Can » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:26 am

Hey man I go to und. It's been a difficult early season as the numbers just aren't here yet. Are you scouting the same time you intend to hunt? For example, if you wanna hunt the morning your best bet is to scout mornings. Also, try to find where they are coming from or where they roost. If you can find an area they constantly fly over going to or from, chances are you get pull some flocks your way. Best of luck man!
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:14 pm

How big are the groups you are seeing? You might try and only use about 1-2 dozen deeks instead of 3. Down here the size of most flocks is fairly small untill the migrators come.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby NodakHunter » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 am

Bull Can wrote:Hey man I go to und. It's been a difficult early season as the numbers just aren't here yet. Are you scouting the same time you intend to hunt? For example, if you wanna hunt the morning your best bet is to scout mornings. Also, try to find where they are coming from or where they roost. If you can find an area they constantly fly over going to or from, chances are you get pull some flocks your way. Best of luck man!

We try as much as possible to scout/hunt the same times, of course with work that doesnt always happen but even when it does, we still have had these problems. We have tried to pull numbers, and had a few work that way, but nothing.

Thats the thing, our flocks are big. Like 20-30+?? Are we the only ones with this issue? Every once in a while we will get a flock of 4-10 birds and that is typically when we have the most luck. I agree the birds are not here yet. Hopefully when this weather finally cools down we can start to see some migrators in the mix.
NodakHunter
hunter

Postby 3200 man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:01 am

Out here in the West , we use a different method . Knowing the birds go out 2 times each day to feed but , not knowing
where they are going ,we set-up near the Golf Course where they stay . They come right in every time ,we don't use decoys
because after the first group there are enough dead birds on the ground to bring in the rest for a limit . This technique works
really well and takes the guess work out of driving around looking for them . These are Park Birds and they aren't to Smart .
3200 man
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 pm

I was out in ND for 4 days last week and we killed birds every day. We hunted small grain fields and day roosts. Our best luck was in swathed barley over 12 decoys. On water we hunted over 6 floaters. In the fields the geese just did it to the decoys. Most the geese were in groups of 4-6-10-12. On the water early shooting was best. The mid-morning flocks did not like the decoys as much but would often give a good pass at 15-20 yards. The combines were opening up new fields everyday and the birds seemed to be changing fields daily.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby imaduckin up north » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:29 pm

shootable Goose wrote:How big are the groups you are seeing? You might try and only use about 1-2 dozen deeks instead of 3. Down here the size of most flocks is fairly small untill the migrators come.

X2, downsize your spread, place them in small family groups 4 or5 in a group placed bout 25 yards apart. and remember concealment
,IS IT DUCK SEASON YET
THERE AINT NO DUCKS IN VA, dicks sporting goods told me so
you can educate ignorance
you can medicate crazy
but you cant fix stupid
imaduckin up north
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:30 am

Here is a tipical goose field in the early season. I just took this the other day,note how even on land feeding they still stay in family groups. Set your deaks like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdcfn_xK-c&feature=plcp
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:07 am

If you took a snapshot of that video with the whole field in it, that would be the absolute PERFECT example of how to set up for an early season hunt. I would even spread them out a bit further as it looks like the only reason those groups are even that close to each other is because of the pasture fence. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby NodakHunter » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:47 pm

Wow guys thanks for the tips! We are limited on early season geese in our area, found one field with huntable numbers. Another party beat us there. So since grouse opened yesterday we hunted them and doves. Migrators are around the corner, and I will have to try out some of your ideas next time we head out in the early season.
NodakHunter
hunter

Postby Blackfoot down » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 pm

imaduckin gave some great advice that applies not only to early season but also in the regular season beginning as well. The early season geese are usually families of mated pairs with their young so 4-6 geese groups set about should be fairly realistic for local geese. Also, if it has been as dry where you are at as the lower midwest is, try to find small loafing ponds that draw them after their morning feeding. Light calling should coax them down. I like to hunt floaters during the early season as much as possible because it is so warm. The geese like to "cool down" as the day heats up so you may try a mid-morning hunt as they work back towards parks and golf courses. Also, I have had some fair luck around lakes with decent resident populations by finding a cove close to a dock. Instead of getting all the way tucked into the cove, I try to find the shaded side closer toward the mouth of the cove for visibility.... Good luck!
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum