decoy numbers?

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

decoy numbers?

Postby timmer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

whats a good amount of diver decoys to have out, ive heard more the better but just wandering whats a good amount i have betweeen 65-80 decoys ..but im going otu on lake superior so what do you think is a good number
timmer
hunter

Re: decoy numbers?

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:32 pm

Simple question. I was coming back to the ramp and passed a guy picking up decoys. I slowed down and ask him if he had any luck. He said he had a few. I then asked him how many dekes he had put out. He said about "2 hours worth". :hammer:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby timmer » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:38 pm

yeah welll last year we had a good day on the lake we out out 3 dozen and shot 17 ducks but the guy next to us had about 300 and shot about 25 but the place were at we scouted it last weekend and seen just under probably 500 ducsk and mergansers.
timmer
hunter

Postby obxbufflehead » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:40 pm

We run about 250 decoys when diver hunting.
Underradar wrote:Let me in on this.

There!

I flicked a booger at my computer.

teddysberna wrote:Sometimes I think that you think I'm retarded, Swamp...

bighop wrote:I've had movements with more brains than you.
obxbufflehead
hunter

Postby Smith » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:01 pm

The bit about more being better generally is true about divers. There are a few practical limitations, though. One is the number of deeks you can fit within shotgun range of your boat. I would love to be in a layout boat nestled among 18,000 decoys, but I suspect I'd be doing a lot more watching than shooting. The real limitation for me, and probably a lot of other guys, is the number of decoys I can fit in my boat. My layout tender, when occupied by hunters, guns, anchors, lunches, etc., can only hold about 120 oversize blocks handily, and perhaps 140 if I really want to make things tight. My sneak rig, on the other hand, consists of only 72 life-size deeks, and the sneak boat is about as full as I care to have it. Another factor comes into play as well, and that is the amount of time and effort you want to put into setting and retrieving a rig each day, considering the limits we have nowadays. We can rather routinely shoot limits of birds using the 120 decoys in the layout rig, so what is really gained by putting out the world's biggest decoy spread?
Smith
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:23 pm

i hunt on the mississippi river and i usally run 3 to 4 dozen of mag size decoys . I usally set blue bills , canvasbacks, goldeneyes,redheads most all are ghg oversized and they are on gang rigs works really well .
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby blackened89 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 pm

Do you guys think that you could ever have too many decoys when hunting smaller lakes?
blackened89
hunter

Postby Smith » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:51 pm

For mallards or woodies, sure, you could have too many. But for divers? I don't think so. I've seen pictures of small ponds absolutely covered with divers while flocks poured in on top of them. I think they love huge numbers.
Smith
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Location location location! You only need 1-2 dozen if you are where they want to be or in their flight pattern and you definitely don't need more than what you have. I have set up plenty of times next to the guys with the big water triple digit spreads and had limits before they had a couple ducks because I was were the ducks wanted to be and had the right species set up in a good coy layout. Don't let people tell you that you need a lot of decoys to shoot divers. We usually set 3-5 dozen and we stack em up fine when the birds are in. Good luck!

I hunt Superior as well so PM me if you want to get together for a hunt.
Feathers
hunter

Postby wstober » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:59 pm

Feathers wrote:Location location location! You only need 1-2 dozen if you are where they want to be or in their flight pattern and you definitely don't need more than what you have. I have set up plenty of times next to the guys with the big water triple digit spreads and had limits before they had a couple ducks because I was were the ducks wanted to be and had the right species set up in a good coy layout. Don't let people tell you that you need a lot of decoys to shoot divers. We usually set 3-5 dozen and we stack em up fine when the birds are in. Good luck!

Yes and No. When hunting BIG groups, location is not enough. Sometimes it takes the right numbers in the right location. Which is why so many people say "More is better". The extra decoys can also compensate for being slightly off the "X".
wstober
hunter

Postby timmer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 am

thanks guys so i just bout one more dozen actually got a good deal on them 12 bluebills for 30$ this actually puts me at 100 exactly no i just gotta rig'em up!
timmer
hunter

Postby loon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Out in the Green Bay a lot of guys put out 100 decoys we have rafts of bluebills that might be in the thousands. now when I hunt on a small lake in northern Wisconsin I put out 100 decoys with phenomenal results. Large flocks of 20 and 30 bluebills pitching directly into the decoys without circling. The more decoys the better in my opinion but at some point he gets to be too much to do
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Postby ringneckslayer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:55 am

Go big or go home for divers! Or at least thatss what I've heard
ringneckslayer
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 am

Do you guys think around 60 diver dekes on a smaller lake will work good. I dont see huge amounts of divers but i see some and the lake isnt huge so we were gona run around 60 or so. Whats your thoughts on this?
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:02 am

The first time my friends and I killed canvasbacks we had out 1 dozen bluebills as well as a puddler spread. This was a number of years ago and we had very little knowledge about diver hunting. The reason we were successful that day is because there were very few divers on that lake and we were the only ones that had out diver decoys. Basically we got lucky. Now we typically run between 80-175 diver decoys. The 80 decoy spread works well on lakes that hold fewer divers and the 175 spread is what we use on lakes with large numbers of birds (rafts in the thousands). Why use only 175 on those lakes? Thats all the decoys I can carry and sometimes it definitely isn't enough. Several folks on that lake will set spreads of 500+ and it makes a world of difference. So in my opinion the key to determining a diver spread size hinges on a couple factors. First how many birds are on that body of water (which must be determined through scouting). Second, how many decoys you have and can safely transport. By taking these two factors into consideration you can adjust your spread accordingly to give yourself the best opportunity to kill birds.

HBD
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 pm

HighBrassDivers wrote:The first time my friends and I killed canvasbacks we had out 1 dozen bluebills as well as a puddler spread. This was a number of years ago and we had very little knowledge about diver hunting. The reason we were successful that day is because there were very few divers on that lake and we were the only ones that had out diver decoys. Basically we got lucky. Now we typically run between 80-175 diver decoys. The 80 decoy spread works well on lakes that hold fewer divers and the 175 spread is what we use on lakes with large numbers of birds (rafts in the thousands). Why use only 175 on those lakes? Thats all the decoys I can carry and sometimes it definitely isn't enough. Several folks on that lake will set spreads of 500+ and it makes a world of difference. So in my opinion the key to determining a diver spread size hinges on a couple factors. First how many birds are on that body of water (which must be determined through scouting). Second, how many decoys you have and can safely transport. By taking these two factors into consideration you can adjust your spread accordingly to give yourself the best opportunity to kill birds.

HBD

Well i never saw thousands of ducks here in PA period. PA is a rough state for duck hunting.. not to mention we have the most huters. Honestly i never see more than a few handfuls of divers heregive r take deending onw the day. Its bogus...but i want to kill some. So me and my friends are gonna paint up and buy about 50 or so buffies and BBs. When i do see divers here they are usuall buffies, ringnecks, and well idk if i shuld even list them but unfortunately mergansers. It seems to me we have moe mergs here than anything... wishwe had good duck hunting like some places do. I always here about thee thousands of rafts of divers and stuff am like man id die to see that.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby HighBrassDivers » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:57 am

If you typically are only seeing a handful then I think you'd be fine using 3-4 dozen decoys. You need to try to match what you see on the lake to the best of your ability so if there are only small groups of 10-15 birds you should be able to get them decoying with several dozen decoys. Good luck and hopefully you'll be able to kill some this year. By the way I wouldn't waste my time with the mergs. Just my opinion, but try to focus on the other species.
HighBrassDivers
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting