boat project complete

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

boat project complete

Postby foggyhunt » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:44 am

Anyone want to see pics of how my duck boat project went? Just picture a 16' alumaweld center console sled converted to shadow grass camo heaven.

Had some trouble with the first go around with some peeling off. Thanks to AK Ray, he turned me onto a link with the guy at Waterfowl decals and that guy gave me some tips that were not even in the camoclad directions.
Last edited by foggyhunt on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby casey_714 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:17 am

That's pretty crappy :thumbsdown:

Hope it turns out all right
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby AK Ray » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:01 am

Foggy, here are some tips from a professional installer of vinyl decals. All the links go to The Refuge.

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=263225

You will have to make that boat really clean with a water wash and then a rubbing alcohol wash. If there is any staining on the boat after the water wash you will have to use something like Lime Away to get it off the paint before the alcohol wash.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:43 am

thanks for that link Ray. I better get it right this go around. I looked over my post and I thought I had mentioned that I etched the boat then washed it but it appears I didn't say that. I etched the boat with that bottled stuff and boy did it work. cleaned that aluminum big time. Then I washed it but must have made a mistake somewhere before applying the vinyl. The instructions didn't say to add a primer but I spoke with the guy on that site and he told me I need to add primer so the vinyl adhesive has something to stick to. Heck, I thought after cleaning the boat with that sulfuric acid "Etching" and washing it I would be good to go. Guess not. so the primer is now about dry and I'll try applying the shadow grass clad this evening or tomorrow.

Fished the river today 9 hrs. all in tact. fishing alone sucks. Lost 2 kings, grabbed a K16 plug floating downriver and after I cut up 1 sardine, I turn to let the line out and to set the rod in the holder and when I turned back, the dog ate the freshly sliced sardine. Good thing I had one left. At least she licked the top of the small coleman bait cooler clean
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:52 pm

Here ya go foggy.

I cant believe I didnt even see this thread. I wudda chimed in for shure.

And that looks like a VERY nice set up you have. Im thoroughly jealous, lol :salude:

And appears to be yer new truk in the back ground. She looks pretty nice too.... Just feel bad youv had to play musical trucks :thumbsdown:

Do you know where yer gunna hunt on opener yet? I dont, lol. I have a few ideas, but nothing for shure.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 pm

thanks matt, the flats in Kenai hasn't had water all summer and the guys are saying it looks like no tides before opening day will be to help. There are blinds out there that you walk to but now that I have my boat I'll try the fingers along the kenai closer to the mouth. I might hunt the river or if weather permitting hunt a spot i hunted with a buddie out on skilak lake.

i hope and pray I just don't die out there. i'll have to pick my days and if i can't get across to come home because of the wind, then it looks like me and my lab will have to rough it overnight and camp out. a boat that goes down out there means who ever is or was in it will also die when we're dealing with 100 % glacier water. Plus, I hope mr. or ms. grizzly doesn't come by looking for a big meal before they head to their den if I have to sleep over night. Like the sign says..."It's better to come home late than not at all"

My real season will start in Dec if I can get back home to calif this winter for all of dec & jan. 5 months of duck hunting...between ak and in the L48? wow, now that's some serious duck hunting :cool:
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:56 pm

I don't understand why people put consoles on 35 horse boats its such a waste of weight and manuverability, plus with hand trim and tilt the motor will tilt if you hit something hopefully saving it, nice paint job though.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:00 pm

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php?t=4200

BTW - this boat is now for sale as listed on another website. See the link.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Foggy..... Not cool :thumbsdown:

Edited for the 2nd time by Stouff.

-Stouff
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby ak_powder_monkey » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:19 pm

dude what the hell are you talking about? What bear, yea I took some pictures of a blacky with 10x zoom at about 50 yards whats wrong with that I then left the area and didn't fish that bank of the river. ALumaweld makes their boats that way because idiots on the kenai buy them, I for one would not buy an alumaweld for that reason, plus if I ever fished the keani below skilak I would outrun everyone by a lot because I would have a boat motor combo that actually go together, so I say go idiots. And I never said anything about not staying and fishing where theres a bear infact i think you should do the oppisite and if a bear comes up on you and if he notices you you should charge him. Call me stupid but I haven't gotten mauled yet, and I've seen a lot of bears, a lot a lot of bears. I may be 19 but I've been a fishing guide, and commercial fisherman. I hope your camo turns out allright I didn't know that boat pictured was your boat.
ak_powder_monkey
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:30 pm

The pizzing contest is going to stop or else. I am dead serious, knock it off. And I mean everybody involved :pissed:

Please abide by our Terms and Conditions that can be found at the bottom of every page, and that includeds no personal bashing or profanity.

This site was set up to have fun, learn from others, help others, and in general have a good time. So evrybody lets get back on track. :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting