Duck Hunting Forum banner

just moved here from md

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  TopWop 
#1 ·
I just moved here from md 2 weeks ago. I brought a 14 jon boat with a 10hp, wheres there a good spot to get out and be successful. I got plenty of decs and mojo. How are freezeout lake, and Benton lake WMA.

#2 ·
on a normal water year you may be able to kinda use your setup in the locations you mentioned. But in dry years, and really every year, they are really shallow.

#3 ·
I just got off the phone with Benton Lake and you cannot use a motor on a boat there, probably because most years you will find it hard to float a boat except in the canals. Some folks use smaller jon and canoes to access some of the islands but you will find if you are set on using a boat a layout fits the bill. I would guess most of the good hunting in the restricted areas they allow hunting can be accessed by foot. Read the regs carefully!
Freezeout on the other hand does allow motors and I believe your 10 hp is below the hp restrictions. Rowing you can access some good hunting areas on the big lake, and the north ends of the lake, but again walking will get you some good hunting. Just bring along a good retriever.
Welcom to Montana, I think you will find the waterfowling more fun and less restricted than in MD. I am a NJ transplant and do not know if I could understand all the restrictions placed on those hunters, we have lots of birds here and plenty of room to hunt them, be safe. Wayne

#4 ·
Thank your for your imput. I looked up freeze out lake on there web site and it did said that motorized boat are not permitted. So are you sure that you can use a motor. What about areas that i would be able to use my boat. What about the Missouri river. My chessy didn't make the trip with me cause he was hit by a car and killed in December

#5 ·
You used to able to use a small hp motor on portions of freezeout. Maybe the changed the regs. It was always a pain in the rear to use one though. There are no developed boat launches, its shallow and muddy so the water pump tends to plug. You can run a prop on the Mo, but your asking for trouble in most areas from gravel bars and rocks. Also a 10hp is really small for the larger rivers here. Look at some of the standing bodies of water i.e lakes and resivors. But watch it, when the wind picks up it can go from flat calm to 4-5 foot waves in minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.