Do you shoot em on the water or only in the air?

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

Do you shoot em on the water or only in the air?

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:46 pm

Is it unethical to shoot ducks on the water? Or should you always scare them up before you shoot?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby VTduckman » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:09 am

Most would say it is unethical. It is harder to hit em flying, of course, but They have more of there vitals open. I have shot a few on the water, but it is more fun when they are flying.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:46 am

for the most part we give them a "YAH DUCK YAH!!!!!"... if they dont take off right away, we'll shoot them for being stupid... :getdown:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:30 am

Shooting a duck on the water, in my opinion, is poor sportsmanship. I have shoot em right before their feet touched the surface of the water, but I still think thats cheap. Just my 2 cents. :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:08 pm

The only ones that I shoot on the water are cripples. It is easy enough I think to scare them off the water.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:06 pm

goosecaller wrote:The only ones that I shoot on the water are cripples. It is easy enough I think to scare them off the water.

AMEN!! We hunt ducks with shotguns....not .22's.....for a reason!! :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:21 pm

Do you only Decoy them, or is jump shooting fair game?
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:37 pm

yellodog1 wrote:Do you only Decoy them, or is jump shooting fair game?

Mainly decoy the birds in but sometimes, if it is an option, we will jump shoot duck/geese. I would rather decoy birds in, over jump shooting them, any day!! A lot more fun seeing them work the dekes. :salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:34 pm

I agree with you, there is nothing like watching them work the Dekes as the sun comes up.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ronvt » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:59 pm

I remember listening to either ely haydel or phil robertson where he says"fellas if were hunting wood ducks in louisiana...times are hard. I recomend you groundswat the suckers right where they sit"
ronvt
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 pm

I dont care who said it...shooting a duck on the water is not sportsman like at all!!! I would expect more from a "professional" :thumbsup:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby qwakwhaker883 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:46 pm

I refuse to shoot a bird on the water unless its a cripple. I think its completely stupid to shoot a bird on the water. If you cant hit them in the air, you shouldnt be hunting them. Put the time in and practice shooting at the trap range.
Waterfowl hunters are alot like birdwatchers, except after watching for awhile we start shooting!

-Bob
qwakwhaker883
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:44 am

It not a sportmans licence, it's a hunting license. While I don't shoot them on the water or ground I see nothing wrong with it. As long as you don't make it a habit. There are many newcomers to duck hunting especially with our deer population. If you want to take a few birds a season, so be it. I find that the same ones who shot them on the water, if they continue with duck hunting, will only shoot them in the air later on. If I see or hear someone say they shoot them on the water, I take a few minutes to talk to them, without going into a tirade or being judgemental. Most of the time they are new to duck hunting.
ronvt
hunter

Postby ohsobad_hunter » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:33 pm

Ronvt,
I agree with shooting them on the water for young or very inexperienced
hunters. I shot my first duck on the water when I was about 10. :thumbsup:
But for an experienced waterfowler to shoot ducks/geese on the water or the ground is not sportsmans like in any way, shape, or form.
:salude:
>>---Mat---->
ohsobad_hunter
hunter

Postby ronvt » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:59 am

Again, I want to reiterate that i don't shoot them on the water. But I think we have become a society that what we do ...everyone should do. If you want to put a few birds on the table..whats the harm. Is it less sportman to shoot them on the water or ground...yes. Is it any less than shooting mergansers, which you won't eat. Or cormorants, which are protected, that many people shoot? I don't know. What about shooting a spike horn? Or a buck, with a high powered rifle at a 100 yards from a tree stand? Or under apple trees or corn fields? What about shooting ducks for the sake of mounting? Or hunting animals that you don not intend to eat...I can't be responsible for what other people do. I am responsible for what I do. I choose to shoot birds in the air, but I also shoot 3-4K rounds a year . I practice weekly at the skeet club. What about people who can't afford it. Is it wrong for them to shoot 1 bird on the water to put wild duck on the table. I don't know. What about shocking your dog with an e-collar. Would you shock your kids. They trained dogs for hundreds of years without them. I don't mean to ramble on..just to stimulate thought. In conclusion, I AGREE WITH YOU THAT ITS LESS SPORTMAN TO SHOOT BIRDS ON THE WATER THAN IN AIR. There is an underlying theme hear..and that is..Are meat hunters sportman!
ronvt
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:51 pm

RonVT, very well articulated message. You bring up a lot of valid points.
Thanks Yellodog1
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting