Dream sheet for active duty air force

For those with military experience to hang out.

Moderators: badandy970, MIKE J., k9horseluvr, duck slayR

Dream sheet for active duty air force

Postby click » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Ok guy's im in the airforce on active duty, i work in aircraft maintenance.
I will be reenlisting this winter from the sand box, thanks uncle sam for giving 18 days to hunt before i leave. I have been to arkansas for 3 years and im in AK now ( been here for close too 2 years now ).
what would be your top 5 states to get stationed in for waterfowl hunting? I wasn't super impressed with AR, i am from KS originaly and have killed more birds here in ak last year than KS or AR.
The wife doesn't agree that my dream sheet should be filled out according to the duck hunting near by ...but what she don't know won't hurt me. :beer:
What are your thoughts on your top 5 states to stationed in for waterfowl hunting. Im thinking of extending here for another 3 so i would like some opinions. I have heard california is great for ducks but it is mostly off some sort of draw system for the public ground.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Re: Dream sheet for active duty air force

Postby hunter05 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 am

i was in ak for 3 yrs if you can stay there i would in a heart beat. but if you have no choice i would have mt home # 1 then beale for duck hunting. i am at beale and it is not bad and hunting on base is pertty good.
hunter05
Newb

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 am

For CONUS bases I would have to say my #1 Minot. Why? I'm from there and know how good it can be. I did 3 years at Barksdale, and the hunting can be good, just gotta bust your ass and know people. I can't really say much beyond that since I don't know how other bases are.

I'd also stay up in AK as long as possible. I'm in the UK now and can't do the hunting I want to unless I want to pay huge money. Not going to happen. Soak up what you can up there and live it up outdoor wise while you can.

I'll be back stateside for good this spring, so if you want to test out ND hunting before pulling the trigger on assignments let me know.

H2OfowlND
MH
Crew Chief
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby grayfield4 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Im at kirtland if you dont mind an aetc mission the duck hunting is pretty good here and endless possibality with colorado being right above us
grayfield4
Newb

Postby Hawkeye76 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:39 pm

H2OfowlND wrote:For CONUS bases I would have to say my #1 Minot. Why? I'm from there and know how good it can be. I did 3 years at Barksdale, and the hunting can be good, just gotta bust your ass and know people. I can't really say much beyond that since I don't know how other bases are.

I'd also stay up in AK as long as possible. I'm in the UK now and can't do the hunting I want to unless I want to pay huge money. Not going to happen. Soak up what you can up there and live it up outdoor wise while you can.

I'll be back stateside for good this spring, so if you want to test out ND hunting before pulling the trigger on assignments let me know.

H2OfowlND
MH
Crew Chief

I'm at Barksdale right now and he's right on about havin' to bust your tail to hunt. I would think AK would be awesome to duck hunt. Minot would be a close second. I've been lookin' into it.....
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby benelliquackerstacker » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:32 pm

hunter05 wrote:i was in ak for 3 yrs if you can stay there i would in a heart beat. but if you have no choice i would have mt home # 1 then beale for duck hunting. i am at beale and it is not bad and hunting on base is pertty good.

I would choose Beale over any bbase to duck hunt. I was there in January of this year for a class, and i was truly astonished by the number of birds. Every field I saw or drove past was literally black from all the birds.Tens of thousands of birds up there.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

You can tell MOJO to suck it.... This jerk-a-spread sucks. Effff it. Splooosh (Hawkeye76)

blackrhino wrote:
I don't wear underwear and I would trade my best skillet to get rid of a bad woman.
benelliquackerstacker
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 am

Having the fields black with birds is awesome. Not getting access is the other part of the equation. No access=No birds.

Getting land access should be a big factor when deciding where you want to hunt. If you can't get on, what's the point.

My .02

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby AnasAmericana » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:50 pm

what bases can you go to? heavy? fighter? im in oklahoma now and it aint bad duck hunting. weather sucks and i think oklahomans get there drivers license beating grand theft auto 4 but they are generally nice people and hunting is good
" A Duck would never win a Duck calling competition"
AnasAmericana
hunter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:15 pm

I was stationed at Minot for 2 years. I honestly can say I would not recommend it unless you either know people there with some private land, or you are from near by. The hunting there is pretty crowded, and while their snow goose hunting was more abundant, I shoot a lot more ducks here in NY than I ever did in Minot. Now if you are willing to travel a few hours to hunt, than Bismarck is much better from the limited experience I had there.

I would either stay at Elmendorf, or try for beale. But being in aircraft maint. I'm not sure if they even have your airframe there, very doubtful. They only have a few, mainly U-2 and the Global Hawk. Alaska is still probably your best bet...wish I could have got up there.

And also, I've never gotten a base on my dream sheet, lol. It's called the dream sheet for a reason...keep dreaming haha. I had all east coast on it, I got Camp Darby, Italy. From there I requested Korea, ended up in Minot. From there I again requested Korea, got Andersen so then I put USAFE back down, ended up in Minot again. All it was for me was a dream. Some are luckier than others.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby click » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01 am

I can go to any base with aircraft, im a 2R. maintenance management and database management. I started in little rock for two years on C130E/H/J's and have been working on F22's here at elmo. I realy like it here but man do i gotta work for it, I think AETC spoiled me at little rock.

the duck hunting in arkansas was good but unless you have money or a boat your not gonna real well.
It's kinda the same here. you really need a boat. I drive 2 hours from base at 1 AM to get to where we park at. then walk in about 3-4 miles with usually 1 other guy carrying 3-6 dozen decoys, layout blinds, and MOJO's / Pulsators. ya it sucks but the hunting is good. last year i killed 146 ducks, perty good for my first year ( SEPT 1 - NOV 3 ) here from what is see. I don't want to be one of those guys that brags about numbers , last year was the first time i actually kept a hunt log :beer: . ya it was worth it.

I come from a farm family , and married one so i have tons of ground in centeral KS. Should i put whichita down? it's only about 2 hours from home.
The thing about hunting ducks here is ....NO BODY HAS A CLUE. the locals where i hunt treat it like a dam upland hunt. they line up and walk. too each their own but thats not my idea of duck hunting. I love to pull em in tight, landing gear down , and shoot em in the face :nana:
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Tall Timber
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby LunaticFringeInc » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:19 am

Stay out of California! Not gun friendly and not hunter friendly. While there are some public hunting available you likely find your best results on private hunting perserves and leases = big stupid dollars! Dont even get me started about the insane cost of living there!!! Uncle Sam couldnt PCS me outta there fast enough!
LunaticFringeInc
hunter

Postby hunter05 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm

LunaticFringeInc wrote:Stay out of California! Not gun friendly and not hunter friendly. While there are some public hunting available you likely find your best results on private hunting perserves and leases = big stupid dollars! Dont even get me started about the insane cost of living there!!! Uncle Sam couldnt PCS me outta there fast enough!

californa is not that bad i dont know what part you where in but beale is not that bad. yes there are private clubs that cost a lot but with all rthe wma and rivers and refuges there is plenty of good hunting just like any where place its all about scouting.
hunter05
Newb

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:41 pm

My .02...

Offutt, McConnell, Tinker

I'm at Vance now, but nor 2R positions available.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:10 pm

benelliquackerstacker wrote:
hunter05 wrote:i was in ak for 3 yrs if you can stay there i would in a heart beat. but if you have no choice i would have mt home # 1 then beale for duck hunting. i am at beale and it is not bad and hunting on base is pertty good.

I would choose Beale over any bbase to duck hunt. I was there in January of this year for a class, and i was truly astonished by the number of birds. Every field I saw or drove past was literally black from all the birds.Tens of thousands of birds up there.

you haven't seen the rainwater basin in Nebraska or the easy of access into the Duck factory in ND!

If I had to do it all over again ND all the way!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Re: Re: Dream sheet for active duty air force

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm

BoB_25 wrote:
benelliquackerstacker wrote:

you haven't seen the rainwater basin in Nebraska or the easy of access into the Duck factory in ND!

If I had to do it all over again ND all the way!

Minot is a terrible option IMO. I was there for two years and the duck hunting wasnt nearly as good as here. Land is leased out everywhere. Now, if you want to drive a couple hours to hunt every morning, then it could be a good deal.
Eric Haynes
hunter

Postby richyrich307 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:32 pm

Just got to Hill working with a deployable comm unit and I think it is going to be a good season. Im from Wyoming and there is plenty of good duck hunting to be had there but honestly Hill is in a better part of the flyway so I am really looking forward to this season. There is good duck hunting to be had all over the country so I would take into account a few other things about the state before deciding. Good luck
richyrich307
hunter

Postby DUCKINout » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Being that we have no air frames except for 3 helos. Malmstrom is not a bad place you might be able to get a special duty to here duck and goose hunting is good and lots of public land around the base. One of the better spots we is 10 mins from base.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
DUCKINout
hunter

Return to Military Forum