Jon boat for decoy sled?

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

Jon boat for decoy sled?

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:49 am

I was watching Fowl Life the other night on the sportsman channel and I saw those guys pulling a Jon boat with side wall extensions on it for a decoy sled.

If the Jon boat could withstand the abuse of being drug through a field, I think it would be a great idea. Gut out the inside of the boat, create sidewall extensions to put on the side of the boat to stack additional decoys inside it.

What are your thoughts on this idea?
"I'm just a young prick that lives in the hills that owns too many guns" -- Shooter
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Re: Jon boat for decoy sled?

Postby Duckassassin001! » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:02 pm

I saw that too and was thinkin the same thing ive done close to the same thing in the winters here in utah plenty of snow to slide on but didnt think to put side walls on it though good idea if you got an old 10 or 12 laying around dont see why it wouldnt work out just fine
Full time Hunter Part time Worker
Duckassassin001!
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Saw it too, don't see why it would not work just fine.....Looked like a 14 " boat to me....
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby NWiowaCutinGreen » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:41 pm

I was thinking that if you used 2 10' Jon boats, gutted them out and just stacked them inside of one another inside the enclosed trailer. Hang/pile decoys in around the Jon boat sleds. Put the 4 wheeler in the truck bed. As long as they could with stand the abuse of a chisel plowed field, I think it would be slick. I guess they don't have to be water tight. You may have to reinforce the eye bolt hook at the front of the bow. But I think two sleds could fit a few ground blinds, bags, shotguns, and then pile them up with decoys. Think it would be the ticket!
"I'm just a young prick that lives in the hills that owns too many guns" -- Shooter
NWiowaCutinGreen
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:26 pm

thats what we use at my buddies house when we hunt. he has a 14 foot jon and its plenty. and they seem to take the abuse.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

Postby slickerhater » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:31 pm

we have been using one for years, especially snow goose hunting load up most of silosocks in gutted 14 foot johnboat and push the whole thing in the enclosed trailer and stack stuff on sides of it
slickerhater
hunter

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum