Decoy Paint

A place for people to discuss "do it yourself" projects from building blinds, to boats and everything in between.

Moderator: Botiz630

Decoy Paint

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Does anyone know where to get decoy paint for a reasonable cost?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Just buy the $.94 acrylics from walmart then clear coat with a matte clear afterward.Image

I airbrushed this mallard with those acrylics then clear coated the decoy.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Re: Decoy Paint

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:15 pm

My divers I did a bedliner for the base and then .97 acrylics for the colors. The mallards, I just did the heads and a blue speculum. I sanded the heads, sprayed bedliner, and then painted on the acrylics. My mallards look a lot better in person than the picture. I just wanted a big fat shiney green head on the deeks. The bottom one is a Buck Gardner decoy and they look the best with the paint job I did. Forgot to add that I sprayed 3 light coats of matte clear coat after I was done. All paint was applied with sponge brushes. Great filler deeks!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Nice work! Especially if it looks even better in person. I don't have an airbrush so I will try my red heads and canvas backs by hand. Looks time consuming, i bet by hand atleast lol. Thanks for the help!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby lovedd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm

yareelohim wrote:Just buy the $.94 acrylics from walmart then clear coat with a matte clear afterward.Image

How did airbrush with acrlic paints
If I'm not here check OUTSIDE
lovedd
hunter

Postby lovedd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm

yareelohim wrote:Just buy the $.94 acrylics from walmart then clear coat with a matte clear afterward.Image

lovedd
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:10 pm

lovedd wrote:

I'm not sure what your asking.
"For the High and Exalted One who lives forever, whose name is Holy says this: 'I live in a high and holy place, and with the oppressed and lowly of spirit, to revive the spirit of the lowly and revive the heart of the oppressed." - Isaiah57:15
yareelohim
hunter

Postby coach63 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:11 pm

I just used krylon spray paint. Redid some old flambeau mallards in to redheads. What yall think?
Attachments
Duck2012-09-03_14-15-25_383-1.jpg
coach63
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:17 pm

Not that mine are the ones to compare to, but yours look a lot better than mine. I think you got the colors right on.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby coach63 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks, i just used krylon grey auto primer for the body and bill, rust color primer for the head and flat black. Still need to put on a matte clearcoat.
coach63
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

Looks good. The clear coat with definitely help enhance the look as well as protect the paint.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby lovedd » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:32 am

yareelohim wrote:
lovedd wrote:

I have been looking for info on airbrushing using acylic paint and am unable to find mix ratios ,type of guns to use and, resonably price mixing mediam. If you have any info or were I could find it that would help
lovedd
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:15 pm

Its really not brain surgery. I picked up a cheap air brush from harbor freight. Cost me $9.99 on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-kit-47791.html

Bought the walmart acrylic paints. You just need to water down it enough that it will spray through your individual gun. I air brushed this mallard with the acrylics from walmart, with the airbrush kit above.

muskrat24
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:42 pm

lovedd wrote:
yareelohim wrote:
lovedd wrote:

I have been looking for info on airbrushing using acylic paint and am unable to find mix ratios ,type of guns to use and, resonably price mixing mediam. If you have any info or were I could find it that would help

Like muskrat24 said...it's not too hard.

I plan to make a tutorial at some point.

The harbor freight brush will work just fine for $10-15. For $30 you can get the Veda 180 which amazing and will save you stress when changing colors.

As for ratios when mixing: I use acrylic from walmart and pour a few drops in a squeeze bottle. I then put a few drops of windex or rubbing alcohol in the squeeze bottle. Shake it up and make sure the consistency is slightly thicker than water.

There are a ton of stress saving tips but in all, it's not too hard.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby jeepman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:05 am

Wow, decoys look great. The acrylic paint from walmart is good to know as well as how to cut it with windex for an air brush. I plan on redoing some of my flambeaus i got as a gift a few years back. They have that UV paint and it is super brittle and chips like crazy. Also i don't think they sanded or primed the plastic which further contributes to the poor quality paint job.
jeepman
hunter

Postby lovedd » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks for the tip on airbrushing I have a gun I just wasn't sure about all th eother stuff. So what works best windex or water. And how long can each mix set before it dries out if waiting for a second coat.
lovedd
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:48 am

For the guys that use clear coat, do you notice any glare at all with a flat matte clear? And what brand do you prefer?

I am about to do some goose decoys that i picked up and am wanting to protect my hard work, but I am getting mixed reviews on to add clear or not.

Thanks
Nerdwick
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 pm

lovedd wrote:Thanks for the tip on airbrushing I have a gun I just wasn't sure about all th eother stuff. So what works best windex or water. And how long can each mix set before it dries out if waiting for a second coat.

I you mix with windex or alcohol, the paint will dry in a matter of minutes or less depending on how thick you lay it on. I do several light coats to build up to a thick dark coat.
yareelohim
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:35 pm

Nerdwick wrote:For the guys that use clear coat, do you notice any glare at all with a flat matte clear? And what brand do you prefer?

I am about to do some goose decoys that i picked up and am wanting to protect my hard work, but I am getting mixed reviews on to add clear or not.

Thanks

I use Krylon flat matte. Ducks have a natural sheen to them due to their oils and preening. This is why I use "matte," it gives them a more natural look in my opinion.

You can try a flat clear I your worried. I would most definitely use a clear coat. The paint is unprotected if you don't.
yareelohim
hunter

Postby Nerdwick » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Thank you for the input my man.
Nerdwick
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:45 am

Am then only one that uses Rustoleum enamel?
I paint them and then flock the paint while it's still wet.
Seems to be holding up really well and I've been doing it for years.
Anybody else? I just touch them up. This is a very old decoy.
fuelpump 003.jpg
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:54 pm

aunt betty wrote:Am then only one that uses Rustoleum enamel?
I paint them and then flock the paint while it's still wet.
Seems to be holding up really well and I've been doing it for years.
Anybody else? I just touch them up. This is a very old decoy.
fuelpump 003.jpg

Nope, I use it as well. Here's some Full Curls I refurbished a couple weeks ago:

The Rustoleum enamel is great: flocking sticks like iron. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby holtspur » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 pm

2 questions:
1. Can you get the acrylic paints so they are irradecent?
2. Where can you get the flocking?
holtspur
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:46 am

holtspur wrote:2 questions:
1. Can you get the acrylic paints so they are irradecent?
2. Where can you get the flocking?

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/products/fl ... bulk.shtml
Mean Gene
hunter

Decoy Paint

Postby yareelohim » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 am

For the acrylics: I use a metallic green, blue a purple which will create an irradescent effect on the head and speculums.

Personally, I prefer the metallic paint on the ducks instead of flocking because of the irradescent effects...flocking doesn't produce that effect.

For geese, I prefer flocking.

You can the difference in the pics posted. Mine are with metallic paint.

I really like those Rustoleum hens which were lasted posted too.
yareelohim
hunter

Next

Return to Do It Yourself Hunting