what do you think is the best gun to carry?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:34 pm

I just turned 21 and I'm about to get my concealed carry permit, but I'm not sure what I should carry. What are some guns you guys would suggest? I would like to get a 45 but I'm open to any suggestions. Any input is appreciated thanks again.
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Re: what do you think is the best gun to carry?

Postby SPAR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:39 pm

Im a 9mm guy... sure i like the big 45 to.. but i think that the more magazine capacity and less recoil so you can get back on target faster is more important to me. plus its a lot cheaper to shoot. and to all those guys that say a 9mm won't take a man down, please stand in front of me and let me shoot you :yes:
SPAR
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm

.45 is the best caliber for conceal and carry IMO.
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:52 pm

yeah the capacity thing is my only hang up withs 45s the 8 shots what if theres 9 bad guys kinda thing. but yeah most guys will die when you shoot them no matter caliber it is I agree with ya. what gun do you actually carry?
Bass,Bucks,andplentyofDucks
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:49 pm

archerykid13 wrote:.45 is the best caliber for conceal and carry IMO.

You're like 15 years old dude. How would you know? :lol: Seriously, it depends on first what FITS you, second where and when you expect to carry Thirdly, how comfortable you ar with recoils from a pistol can you hit the broad side of a barn with it. if you were stanind in one and fourth, but certainly not the last factor, how much do you want to spend? All of these factors are totally and completely controlable by YOU the owner/shooter. Try a bunch of handguns for fit, pick the best one that fits you and fits your style of carry, practice, practice, and practice some more, and buy what you can afford, but I don't recommend skimping on a pistol that you may rely upon to save your life some day. As far as caliber....45 ACP is king. Big melpat, heavy bullet at modest velocity and a wide range of styles and bullet design choices. The .40 cal is a beautiful "intermediate" round with plenty of punch and a big enough round to make a nice big hole. It also has a vast aray of load choices. The 9mm is at the low end of what I consider a "man stopper" round a moderately light wight bullet traveling reasonably fast will still be better than nothing at all and a "nine" will usually be much more comfortable to carry than the bigger guns and is generally much more controlable for fast follow up shots with accuracy.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 am

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a 1911 myself for some time, mostly because I like classic designs of most anything. I did consider the capacity issue as well, but then again the carry gun I use now is a six shot .38 snubbie, so a 1911 will still offer a slight increase. In any case, the younger you are the more likely you imagine facing situations seen on TV, the movies or in some dumb video game, which isn't going to happen. Anything you are comfortable carrying and can shoot well will serve you just fine. Forget the term "best". There is no such beast, just opinions.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby OhioCatter » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:55 pm

The best carry gun is the gun that you are most comfortable with and shoot most accuratly. Find a local gun store and handle as many guns as you can, see what seems to fit your hand the best. The next thing is to rent as many possible types of guns as you can and shoot the heck out of them. See which one fits your bill and that is the gun for you. As far as rcoil goes throw that out the window, everyone percieves recoil differently. Weight of the gun will affect the way you feel recoil as well.

Now for magazine capacity you can have 17+1 or 8+1 or whatever other configuration you come up with. It's not how many you have in the magazine, but how well you place your shots. Shot placement is the key to everything. If you can't hit what your shooting at it doesnt matter how many rnds you have on hand.

I know people who carry a .22mag for self defense, I also know people who carry your other popular calibers. The most important thing is they are comfortable with their ability to put the rounds on target when needed. I don't care if it's a .22 or a 45acp it's gonna hurt when you get shot.

I personally carry a 4" 1911, it's not because I think it's a big boy gun or big boy caliber but its what feels best in hand and I shoot most accuratly. My buddy has a 9mm which I have shot, and he has shot my .45acp as well, and we both agree my .45acp is a softer shooting gun. So look around, see what fits your needs and go with it. Good luck.
OhioCatter
Newb

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Carry whatever you are comfortable carrying that you can hit with. If the gun isn't something you can carry comfortably, the truth is you won't carry it all the time. You'll catch yourself becoming burdened by it because it's too bulky and uncomfortable. If its a gun that you can conceal and honestly forget you have it on you, thats the gun you need to get. Here is my everyday carry.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348083254.230236.jpg
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum