Draw length help

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Draw length help

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:14 pm

Ok so my old bow i had was a #1 cam 26" max draw length and when i went in yesterday to get my new bow they put me in #2 cam 27" minimum draw length. The problem i am having is that when i try to pull back, i have to pull up and to the left. Can anyone give me tips on how to get back to pulling normal? Thanks.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town


Re: Draw length help

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:07 pm

can you explain a little better? it sounds like you do have a draw length that is too long though from what I'm getting.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Draw length help

Postby Duck Collector » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Ya the length is like 1/2 an inch too long for me. When i got the bow i told them im only 15 so the put me in the next size cam so that theres a little growing room.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Draw length help

Postby jberg440 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:28 am

What kind of bow is it? Im assuming a Hoyt because they have #1, 2, and 3 cams, and if 27" is the minimum on a #2 cam its probably a 35" A2A? Honestly I'm wondering why they did not put you in a bow that fits you now and in the future? For instance a 32" A2A #2 cam would go 26"-28".

Back to the question, from your post it sounds like you are having trouble pulling the bow straight back without "sky drawing" up and to the left? If this is the case there is only a couple of options for you.

1. Lower the draw weight, 90% of guys pull more weight than they can handle because the macho card gets played. More weight=less accuracy, whats more important? speed or accuracy? obviously accuracy is more important.

2. Hit the gym :wink: . I say this in case the bow is a minimal draw weight.

Hope this helps!
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
User avatar
jberg440
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Draw length help

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 am

jberg440 wrote:

1. Lower the draw weight, 90% of guys pull more weight than they can handle because the macho card gets played. More weight=less accuracy, whats more important? speed or accuracy? obviously accuracy is more important.

BINGO, I've killed a few deer when I was 13-14 YO with an alpine micro at 50lbs and still got complete pass through shots at 30 yards. I now shoot 62lbs out of a Quest hammer with a 27 1/2in draw.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3227
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Draw length help

Postby Duck Collector » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm

jberg440 wrote:What kind of bow is it? Im assuming a Hoyt because they have #1, 2, and 3 cams, and if 27" is the minimum on a #2 cam its probably a 35" A2A? Honestly I'm wondering why they did not put you in a bow that fits you now and in the future? For instance a 32" A2A #2 cam would go 26"-28".

Back to the question, from your post it sounds like you are having trouble pulling the bow straight back without "sky drawing" up and to the left? If this is the case there is only a couple of options for you.

1. Lower the draw weight, 90% of guys pull more weight than they can handle because the macho card gets played. More weight=less accuracy, whats more important? speed or accuracy? obviously accuracy is more important.

2. Hit the gym :wink: . I say this in case the bow is a minimal draw weight.

Hope this helps!

Actually its the new element. The bow i had before was a alphamax 32 and it was at 26" and just about perfect length. I had it maxed at 60 pounds so when i got my new bow they gave me a 60-70 pound bow but got it down to 57. The reason they gave me the 27" bow is because im still growing pretty fast.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Draw length help

Postby jberg440 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:45 pm

The element with #2 cams will go to 26" with a-mods. http://issuu.com/grayloon/docs/2012_hoyt_catalog_web/1?mode=a_p (see page 59 for specs.)

A full inch is a huge difference when it comes to draw length, if 27" is too long take it in to your pro shop and have them switch out the mods to your length. When you out grow them than start adjusting the length. As far as weight, I wouldn't be scared to drop it down to 55lb's, if it still feels too stout at a shorter draw length.
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
User avatar
jberg440
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:41 am
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Draw length help

Postby Duck Collector » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:17 am

I think i kinda got it figured out. When i was pulling back i was raising my pulling arm to so it was eventually starting hurt after about 10 shots. I got it to where i could pull straight back but i was lifting my front hand a little. Shot close too around 75 arrows last night no problems.
1860 Go Devil boat draging a 35GDSD
Hooked on Quack
User avatar
Duck Collector
hunter
 
Posts: 983
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: H Town

Re: Draw length help

Postby monjorrow » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Have them put a few twists in your buss cables, and switch to a thumb release. That should make the 27" DL feel more like a 26" until you can grow into it.
User avatar
monjorrow
hunter
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:17 pm
Location: Johnson City, Tn


Return to Archery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest