Benelli Super Vinci vs Browning A5

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Benelli Super Vinci vs Browning A5

Postby Can'tCallEm'45 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am

I am going to buy a new shotgun before season and I am torn between the Super Vinci and the A5. I currently shoot a SBE1, and love it. Never a problem. I only like inertia guns. I am asking advice from only those who have shot either one or both. The only comments I've heard is the on 3-1/2" shells the Benelli can bust your knuckles because of the trigger guard being big. Someone has also said the A5 was not as balanced as they hoped. Can anyone give me some of their reviews since there isn't a way to shoot the guns before purchase. Thank you.
Can'tCallEm'45
Newb

Re: Benelli Super Vinci vs Browning A5

Postby BenellisbeII » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 am

Can'tCallEm'45 wrote: The only comments I've heard is the on 3-1/2" shells the Benelli can bust your knuckles because of the trigger guard being big.

Im still trying to figure out how people are doing this, I've had my SBE2 for 4 years now and over 10,000 rounds through it and have never once had this problem. Also have 3 other buddies that shoot SBE2 and they say the same thing, never happen to them. Only thing I can think of is there not holding the gun tight enough.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 am

BenellisbeII wrote:
Can'tCallEm'45 wrote: The only comments I've heard is the on 3-1/2" shells the Benelli can bust your knuckles because of the trigger guard being big.

Im still trying to figure out how people are doing this, I've had my SBE2 for 4 years now and over 10,000 rounds through it and have never once had this problem. Also have 3 other buddies that shoot SBE2 and they say the same thing, never happen to them. Only thing I can think of is there not holding the gun tight enough.
It could have something to do, with the Super Vinci not being a SBE2.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby monjorrow » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:21 pm

I've shot 3.5"s out of my buddies super vinci and never once had a problem with my knuckles being busted. Just make sure you hang on when your shooting them.
monjorrow
hunter

Postby opus72 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:39 pm

The Vinci was the gun busting knuckles. According to what I heard, the trigger guard was redesigned for the Super Vinci to get around the issue.
opus72
Newb

Postby B-Boy » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:52 pm

opus72 wrote:The Vinci was the gun busting knuckles. According to what I heard, the trigger guard was redesigned for the Super Vinci to get around the issue.

I've head the same thing.

Back to the OP. If you don't NEED to shoot 3.5" shells, take a look at the M2. It's not as ugly as the Vinci/Super Vinci, and it's a proven design, unlike the new A-5. The new A-5 has an MSRP of $1400-$1560. The Super Vinci has an MSRP of $1700-$1800. The M2 has an MSRP of $1360. Purchasing the M2 would give you extra $$$ for other stuff. I can't think of anything I would like to hunt (Duck, Pheasant, Geese, Turkey) that can't be taken with a 3" shell, or even a 2 3/4" shell for that matter.

If you just want a new gun, sell the SBE1 and get an SBEII. It's the ultimate waterfowl gun.
Benelli - Cordoba (20 ga. & 12 ga.)
Browning - 725 Sporting (12 ga.), Maxus Hunter
B-Boy
hunter

Postby jlusk » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 pm

I just bought the vinci and so far i like it alot. I also shoot the SBE1 , until now, and i am impressed with benelli products. I am Interested to know what you come up with bc the commercial on you tube about the A5 is pretty intriguing.
jlusk
hunter

Postby Can'tCallEm'45 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:13 am

I couldn't agree more about the commercial. One thing Browning definitely has over Benelli is marketing the products. The A5 video is a lot sweeter than the Super Vinci. I just wished I knew where I could shoulder an A5. We have 4 premier sporting goods stores. All on back order.
Can'tCallEm'45
Newb

Postby everythings ducky » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:11 pm

Can'tCallEm'45 wrote:I couldn't agree more about the commercial. One thing Browning definitely has over Benelli is marketing the products. The A5 video is a lot sweeter than the Super Vinci. I just wished I knew where I could shoulder an A5. We have 4 premier sporting goods stores. All on back order.

Are you kidding me! Benelli and Beretta have the best marketing out of all the gun companies. They work these forums relentlessly. I hear such BS from pro-staffers and biased owners like the M2 and SBE2 never malfunction (downplay the Benelli click, seen it in the duck blind) to the A400 doesn't kick at all (gun reviews say it kicks more than the Vinci and Maxus). They are good guns but they have faults/negatives to consider in comparison to the competing guns. These same people trash the Maxus and SX3 and Remington Versamax and others putting false information out there. There are Versamax folks get on here and trash back. The hype is unreal. But it works. There is a new post on here where the guy discovered that the A400 kicks more than what was said. He was mislead. He should have tried them before buying and not listened to the BS. I rarely see Browning pro-staffers doing this. The Brownings have their faults too but not like what is said on this forum. I go to shotgunworld for an honest opinion and review on guns. The people on that forum call them on their BS. A couple of people on this forum posting misinformation were called on their BS when they tried their BS on Shotgunworld forum. You know who you are.

That said the new Browning A5 looks promising. I like to see improved designs and better competition hitting the market. It brings the prices down and give us better choices. I hope the new A5 is everything Browning says it is. My gunsmith (retired police officer and top competition shooter) loved the gun and said it shot well for him. I would like to try it.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 am

I was talking to one of our local gun dealers who has several benellis about the new A5. He said he shot it and will buy one as soon as it comes out. I remain skeptical. The Benelli click was just pointed out, and since Browning is basing their new A5 off of the benelli design, I can see it being a problem for them. Did they take the Benelli design and make it better? Maybe, Maybe not. Only time will tell, but until then I would stick to the Benelli if you are wanting an Inertia gun, they have at least had 10+ years to work out the kinks.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Can'tCallEm'45 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:08 am

I couldn't agree more, Benelli has the interia operation down! One other thing that plays in my head is that I'm about to spend this money on a gun and if I choose an A-5 it wont shoot 3-1/2 shells. You'd think for that much money it would.
Can'tCallEm'45
Newb

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:52 pm

Can'tCallEm'45 wrote:I couldn't agree more, Benelli has the interia operation down! One other thing that plays in my head is that I'm about to spend this money on a gun and if I choose an A-5 it wont shoot 3-1/2 shells. You'd think for that much money it would.

3 1/2" shells arent worth the money. Ive killed just about everything that flies in the state of Kansas and never shot a 3 1/2" shell. Personal opinion
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby BenellisbeII » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:22 pm

T Man wrote:
Can'tCallEm'45 wrote:I couldn't agree more, Benelli has the interia operation down! One other thing that plays in my head is that I'm about to spend this money on a gun and if I choose an A-5 it wont shoot 3-1/2 shells. You'd think for that much money it would.

3 1/2" shells arent worth the money. Ive killed just about everything that flies in the state of Kansas and never shot a 3 1/2" shell. Personal opinion

Theres no such thing as to dead, if you got the extra money why not use them. But I do agree with you partly, I only like using the 3.5" for the bigger birds like geese and turkey. Everything else I usually just shoot 3" at. But it is nice knowing you can shoot the 3.5" shells if need be.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:39 am

My brother bought a Super Vinci last year and it is a good shooting gun. ComforTech does work and it mounts and points like the Benelli of old. The trigger guard was redone to give more space between it and the grip to prevent finger hammering but the damned safety is in the FRONT of the guard. Granted with enough practice one will become accostomed to it but it is in a very strange position...suitable for the gun itself. My main concern is the durability of the plastic tab on the bolt stop on the rear of the bolt assembly. When I stripped his SV I found this to be somewhat chinsy of design and subject to breakage with routine (read: after every time shooting) stripping for cleaning.

The new A5 does borrow much fromt he original Benelli design and appears and feels like a good piece. I've held one and the ergonomics are very nice and it mounts and swings very well. Haven't shot it but the owner of the shop where I held one said he has put a few hundred rounds through his and loves the gun.

having owned a M1-S90 for over 20 years I am somewhat torn between the Vinci/Super Vinci and the A5 but the more I hold and shoot my brother's SV I will probably keep my old M1 and get the A5...after all it has been 20+ years since I got a new duck gun.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby Weston81 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:27 am

opus72 wrote:The Vinci was the gun busting knuckles. According to what I heard, the trigger guard was redesigned for the Super Vinci to get around the issue.

That's correct, my Dad had the Vinci and got rid of it for this exact reason. He traded it in for the Super Vinci and they made some mod's to the trigger guard and it's no longer an issue.
Weston81
hunter

Postby Calikev » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Do yourself a favor and go try out a Beretta A400 or a Winchester SX3. I think once you do those other guns get dropped from your list.

Both the new Browning A5 and the Super Vinci are hard recoiling guns. Get you a gas autoloader and your shooting will improve from less felt recoil. In addition, those guns are super reliable, especially the a400 which can shoot the lightest loads you can find to put through it. The SV will hang up with some of the lighter loads out there.

My two cents....

Kevin
"It seems the harder I work the more luck I seem to have"
Calikev
hunter

Postby Can'tCallEm'45 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:07 pm

I personally do not care for gas operated guns. I've shot a Browning Maxus, SX2&3, and Bretta Xtrema. They are all good guns but I love my inertia Benelli. If my gun falls in the freezing water, all I have to do is pour lighter fluid and set it in flames and it will work again. Gas gun has to be taken apart. Guys I hunt with have dropped their gas guns in the water and couldn't hunt that day. That's why I don't care to hear about any gas guns or any other guns than a super Vinci or A-5.
Can'tCallEm'45
Newb

Postby T Man » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 am

Can'tCallEm'45 wrote:I personally do not care for gas operated guns. I've shot a Browning Maxus, SX2&3, and Bretta Xtrema. They are all good guns but I love my inertia Benelli. If my gun falls in the freezing water, all I have to do is pour lighter fluid and set it in flames and it will work again. Gas gun has to be taken apart. Guys I hunt with have dropped their gas guns in the water and couldn't hunt that day. That's why I don't care to hear about any gas guns or any other guns than a super Vinci or A-5.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

I prefer to not light my guns on fire. Frozen bolt or not, when I pull the trigger it will cycle.

I love my A5. It is a blast to shoot, and runs smooth as silk...but it is a real A5 from 1935, not a way for Browning to capitalize on an old nameplate that it has nothing in common with.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby BenellisbeII » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:59 am

Calikev wrote:Do yourself a favor and go try out a Beretta A400 or a Winchester SX3. I think once you do those other guns get dropped from your list.

Both the new Browning A5 and the Super Vinci are hard recoiling guns. Get you a gas autoloader and your shooting will improve from less felt recoil. In addition, those guns are not as reliable as inertia driven, especially the a400 which can shoot the lightest loads you can find to put through it. The SV will hang up with some of the lighter loads out there.

My two cents....

Kevin

Fixed it for you.

The SV has no problem shooting 1oz loads, theres no reason to shoot anything lighter.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby everythings ducky » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Can'tCallEm'45 wrote:I personally do not care for gas operated guns. I've shot a Browning Maxus, SX2&3, and Bretta Xtrema. They are all good guns but I love my inertia Benelli. If my gun falls in the freezing water, all I have to do is pour lighter fluid and set it in flames and it will work again. Gas gun has to be taken apart. Guys I hunt with have dropped their gas guns in the water and couldn't hunt that day. That's why I don't care to hear about any gas guns or any other guns than a super Vinci or A-5.

We're lucky today with all the good competition and new guns being released to have so many good choices. We can each pick what works best for us. The prices are coming down too. That's the part I like best.
everythings ducky
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:32 pm

Not trying to hijack the thread but after holding and finally shooting a few rounds through an A5 Stalker my mind was made up to get it versus the Vinci or Super Vinci. As mentioned before I do not want or need a 3-1/2" guns as I don't shoot geese regularly and 3" fodder is very sufficient for me so the SV was down a point. The Vinci feels good but I don't like finger bashing guns AND I abhor a front positioned safety so it was all but eliminated. Then yesterday a guy really wanted my old M1 Benelli (H&K era gun) and paid me way more than it was worth so I am now in the hunt for a new A5 Stalker. Hopefully the only one available within 80 miles will still be there on Sat so I can go pick it up.

To the OP: my reasons remained the same as my post last week but after shooting the A5 and considering the other factors of the Benelli's (and selling my old trusty M1) I am very happy with my decision on the A5 and it'll proudly join the several other Browning guns I own and shoot. Being the first new all-around 12 gauge I've purchased in 20 some odd years I just wasn't comfortable with either Benelli and the M2 is just too similar to what I just sold so the A5 is the logical and comfortable choice.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby MNWaterfowler22 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:18 pm

OK hornets nest will be stirred!!!

Just bought a Super Vinci after looking at both the SV and A5. I have had good success with Browning and Benelli and IMO they both make quality guns. OP get which ever one you feel is the best/most comfortable for you to shoulder and swing and don't listen to what every one else thinks and never look back.

On to the stirring...for those of you that think the SV is a knuckle smasher...no that was the Vinci and the SV has fixed the problem with the new trigger guard and you can shoot all day with out smashing your knuckles.

for those of you that think that the SV is worthless because of the safety being in the front of the trigger boo freaking hoo it just means you get to practice more with it to get use to it besides who the hell takes the gun off of saftey when the shotgun is already mounted.

for those of you that think the SV is ugly and would never be caught dead with one because of said ugliness "YOUR IN A DUCK BLIND" if you want to shoulder a "pretty" gun then go shoot pheasants at your local club leave the dirty business to the hunters that don't give a crap what their shotgun looks like as long as birds fall when they use it.
If that doesn't light your fire, your woods wet!
MNWaterfowler22
hunter

Postby cootlover » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:05 pm

I bought a vinci when they first came out I never hit my knuckles ounce. I thought it looked cool, best handling and shooting i ever owned are shot :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

copterdoc wrote:
BenellisbeII wrote:

As an owner of a Super Vinci I can honestly say the ONLY problems I've had with it is that if you haven't gone out and "broken it in" it will mis load. This has happened once, and I've shot well over 1000 rounds by now, I'd go as far to say I've probably shot over 5000 rounds between last duck season, light goose conservation season, and trap shooting competitions.
Well worth the purchase, I would recommend it to ANYONE interested in shelling out the cash for a nice autoloader.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby duckbones » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:53 pm

If you buy a vinci or an A5, you will wish you were shooting a SBE. Best gun ever made for duck hunting.
duckbones
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum