Opening Day Saskatchewan

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Opening Day Saskatchewan

Postby Outlaw1 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:32 pm

I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and knocked down my first mallard of the season with the new SX3.

Anyone else go out?

:thumbsup:
Outlaw1
hunter

Re: Opening Day Saskatchewan

Postby Erie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:24 pm

pictures or it didnt happen
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Outlaw1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Erie wrote:pictures or it didnt happen

:biggrin:

I did some more scouting this afternoon, but it looks like all the places I'd like to hunt will need to be accessed by canoe/kayak. There are small flocks of birds here and there, but nothing substantial. Looking forward to seeing more birds when the migration starts.
Outlaw1
hunter

Postby Erie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:03 pm

Nice!!!
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Feathers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Do mallards have blue beaks in Canada? They must change color when they cross the border. :wink:

Looks like a pinner to me but good work anyhow. Wish I could be wacking ducks already, couple more weeks!
Feathers
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Looks like a pintail to me, I could be worong. Either way it's a duck, they all eat up pretty well.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Erie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:57 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Looks like a pintail to me, I could be worong. Either way it's a duck, they all eat up pretty well.

yeah I thought the same thing but wasn't going to crush his dream.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Outlaw1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:56 pm

It's funny you mention that...

Today I was talking to someone at work about duck hunting and he asked me if I had seen any pintail around the area. I was telling him about the pintail hen I shot opening day and it made me think about this thread. Don't ask me why I typed 'mallard' instead of 'pintail', I have no idea why.

If it makes you feel any better I knocked down two teal hens yesterday. The hen on the right got plucked on the way back to the truck. :biggrin:

Outlaw1
hunter

Postby Erie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:38 am

Most of the duck still pretty brown up there?
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Feathers » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:09 am

Just out of curiousity how did you know the BWT were hens? Most male teal do not have their plumage this time of year so just wondering if you sexed it to know for sure?
Feathers
hunter

Postby Outlaw1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:42 pm

All the teal that I've seen here are still in eclipse plumage.

The only way I know how to tell the difference between a drake/hen teal in eclipse plumage is by the white/grey bar on the wings.

This evening's hunt went well. I limited out in less than 15 minutes and with only six shells. The teal in the picture below are mine.

Outlaw1
hunter

Postby tilley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:33 am

I see 8 Blue wings and a gadwall..I thought the limit was 8. Also you must have gound pounded them?? 9 bird in 6 shots or just lucky?
Also Erie, This business of thinking somehow if you go north the birds are in full plumage is just such silliness. The age of the bird and how long after molt determines this just as it would in Texas or wherever.There is no sub species called "northern" mallards that are fully plumed all year round and bigger.
tilley
hunter

Postby Outlaw1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:58 am

tilley wrote:I see 8 Blue wings and a gadwall..I thought the limit was 8. Also you must have gound pounded them?? 9 bird in 6 shots or just lucky?
Also Erie, This business of thinking somehow if you go north the birds are in full plumage is just such silliness. The age of the bird and how long after molt determines this just as it would in Texas or wherever.There is no sub species called "northern" mallards that are fully plumed all year round and bigger.

Well, that's an interesting post. You managed to insult two people with one post. Condescending much?

You suggested I killed more than my limit and I shot them off of the ground. Neither of those two comments are true and neither are well received by me.

With feedback like the above comments, it explains why I typically don't bother sharing my experiences with hunters online.
Outlaw1
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:40 pm

Dont stop posting pic's some of us enjoy hunting in Canada. Lot of these guys have never been there or will ever go there. :fingerpt: They rip anyboby that can hunt up there. :crying:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:59 am

Outlaw1 wrote:It's funny you mention that...

Today I was talking to someone at work about duck hunting and he asked me if I had seen any pintail around the area. I was telling him about the pintail hen I shot opening day and it made me think about this thread. Don't ask me why I typed 'mallard' instead of 'pintail', I have no idea why.

If it makes you feel any better I knocked down two teal hens yesterday. The hen on the right got plucked on the way back to the truck. :biggrin:

I'll do that, pick birds while I wait between flights. Saves time at the end of the day.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 am

I just got a email from my buddy up in sask. He said the geese are just starting to show up. They didn't have manyt residents this year. Might be a little slim where we hunt.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby gus » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Outlaw 1
Thanks for your post looks like you all had a good hunt
gus
Newb

Return to Canada Duck Hunting