Need a new goose call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Need a new goose call

Postby btw574 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:59 pm

looking for a new goose call this year. Currently I have an original Winglock derlin short reed that will never come off of my lanyard. I love the sound of my Winglock which is great on calm days and low flyers but I am looking for something with a higher pitch and more voulme for those windy days and migrators. I had a Zink but never really liked it and gave it to my brother who loves it.
I am looking at a few possible calls. Any input on these would be great to help me decided.
Molt Gear ex3
GK Calls Canuck
Big Sean Mr Big
Field Proven Calls Adrenaline
Gander Valley Triple X
btw574
hunter

Re: Need a new goose call

Postby berganser » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:50 pm

Check out Committed Custom Calls--Gary makes some fine Handcrafted Calls. He can make and tune up what you need.
Hey, Let's go Huntin'!!
Committed Custom Calls! Try one out!!
berganser
hunter

Postby Marcus Riley » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:41 am

btw574 wrote:looking for a new goose call this year. Currently I have an original Winglock derlin short reed that will never come off of my lanyard. I love the sound of my Winglock which is great on calm days and low flyers but I am looking for something with a higher pitch and more voulme for those windy days and migrators. I had a Zink but never really liked it and gave it to my brother who loves it.
I am looking at a few possible calls. Any input on these would be great to help me decided.
Molt Gear ex3
GK Calls Canuck
Big Sean Mr Big
Field Proven Calls Adrenaline
Gander Valley Triple X

I have owned all of the calls on your list and the only one that is still on the lanyard is the Gander Valley TripleX. This call was just built right in my opinion. I have always gravitated to the shorter calls but most just don't have a solid "natural goose" low end. The XXX sure does and then some...I can see someone winning Live Goose with this call.
Teach your children to hunt.... and you won't have to hunt for your children.
Marcus Riley
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 am

I haven't tried the other calls, but have two of the Triple X's. You could do far worse in buying a goose call than getting a Triple X. It's a very good call ..... goosey on the low end, yet can be tuned to be higher pitched, too, if you desire.
tripleb
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:17 pm

The XXX is the way to go. It's has a sharp, loud crack and also has a nasty low end. All around good call. Depending on the tuning it can get very fast to.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:26 pm

LCC Mayhem...still have not found another call like it. Very responsive, awesome range and crack, and a nasty "turn geese and get the judges scores attention" low-end.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:29 pm

Of those calls you list IMHO the Canuck
One other call you might look at from FP calls is the Matrix,that call flat out rocks,great range high to low,volume that is awesome as well.
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:40 pm

I would also look at the Field Proven Matrix, it will be my next goose call for sure I ran one at Cabelas and Rogers and loved it. It is just another call to keep in mind.
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Only two on your list that I've tried are the Canuck and the XXX. I hunt with the XXX, and the Canuck is for sale.

But your mileage may vary.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:54 pm

The Field Proven Matrix blows all of those calls you listed out of the water to me. It has EVERYTHING from top to bottom. I know you listed the Adrenaline but I would look at the Matrix or Raptor for what you described before the Adrenaline.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:31 am

I really enjoy the TripleX goose call that Mark puts out. I have to say out of the calls you have listed I have tried most, and the XXX is leaps and bounds ahead of that pack. It has ANYTHING and EVERYTHING top to bottom, we all have our opinions I suggest buying one and trying it out for yourself. If you do not like it send it back, Mark is the best to work with from all my experiences.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby justinduckman7 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:09 am

Mafia Crew Calls or Hayes these are my favorite
(IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND IF IT SITS THEIR IT STILL DIES ) Let's go shoot their faces off
justinduckman7
hunter

Postby rkeenan25 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:13 pm

Not a local (NC) call, but from the eastern shore of Maryland, check out the Bay County calls made by John Taylor. I have the 'Shorething" and its just what you are looking for. He hand makes most of them, i have a hand made wooden one. the o rings somehow came out of the insides a few years back and I sent it back to him. He hand wrote a letter saying that if anything ever happens to it again, please send it back and ill take care of it.. Real quality guy, check it out
rkeenan25
Newb

Postby Gunnysway » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:27 am

Of the calls you listed, the one I would choose is the Big Seans, Mr. Big. Very good call...
Setting up meetings between geese and God since 1992...

Gud till ära, oss till gagn...
Gunnysway
hunter

Postby North » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:51 am

I just bought a Canuck... so far it's been great. My buddy has a XXX and it also seems to be a great call. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the calls on that list...
North
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum