Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Stish85 wrote:If that is the case then none of us should ever shoot at anything...EVER. Waterfowlers hunt in marshes, timber and rivers, etc. We also wear camo. We hunt in these low visibility areas shooting into the air, low passing shots and can never be certain where our pellets land. We can also often not be certain where other hunters are as we may never see them come out. Something to think about.

If people are getting hit and hurt then they are within 175 yards and whoever is shooting should not be taking that shot in the first place. I have been rained on several times never has it felt harder than small ice pellets. I have had shot spray across my decoy spread from hunters less than 150 yards away and bounce off decoys. I'm not saying what you say is impossible it is just highly unlikely if people use common sense when shooting.


This has to be the most stupid, irresponsible answer ever posted on this or any forum!!!!! Did you have to take a Sportsman's Ed class to get your license? It is the shooter's responsibility to know his target AND BEYOND!!!!! You're an accident waiting to happen, period.

Frank


Maybe next time you should pay attention when you read a comment. I never said don't worry about a what is beyond where you are shooting or who cares if you are shooting at someone, I never even hinted at that. I simply stated that in the environment waterfowl hunters typically hunt in there is absolutely no way to know 100% what is beyond your target at all times. A lot of times due to surrounding cover you can simply not see that far. And any waterfowler that says otherwise is simply lying or has only hunted fields. It is our responsiblity to try to ensure to every extent possible we know where our shot is going.

If you have ever hunted in a marsh or timber or on a river bend or even on the shore of a lake that has heavy cattails. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know what is beyond your target at all times, it is the inherent nature of our sport. That little cattail hole that you hunt in a marsh, you can't see what's on the other side of that, does that stop you from shooting at ducks coming in? I doubt it unless you heard someone walk in in that direction. When you are shooting in the air at any angle you do not know where your shot is going to fall or how far it is going to travel, does that stop us from shooting? Probably not unless you can see someone in that direction, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. Unless you are hunting in a wide open field the in the middle of a lake there is absolutely know what to know. Do you think when I had shot rain down on me in the marsh that hunter thought he was shooting in my direction or knew his shot would fall on me? I don't think so he simply could not see me due to the brush in the marsh.
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am


Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:44 pm

Perhaps you should pay more attention to comprehension. The sole purpose of your comments was to justify the potentially dangerous practice being discussed. Yes, there is an inherent danger in all forms of hunting. However, it is really irresponsible to dismiss that danger as being part of the sport. When one has a firearm in their hands, one should take every precaution to ensure that "accidents" don't happen. You took further steps to state that you've been rained on and it really doesn't amount to anything more than hail. I'll ask you again, how would you like to take one of those pellets in the eye? I'm quite sure you wouldn't care for it.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 pm

Again I never said that you should not take every precaution necessary, actually I said that you should do exactly that.

It is our responsiblity to try to ensure to every extent possible we know where our shot is going


All my reference to being rained on was doing was refuting your comment that pellets retain damaging affects after several hundered yards (typically taken as 300 to 500 yards). Even by your own admission the damage effects you have observed have been right around 200 yards or less. Which I also acknowledged could be damaging.

And no I wouldn't like to take one in the eye at any range. But like I said if that is the approach you want to take then you might as well stop hunting beacuse you can never know for 100% sure where one of your pellets will fall.
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't see the difference between shooting them back peddling and shooting them on the water.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
User avatar
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor
 
Posts: 12273
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:03 am
Location: Hunter, AR

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Cold » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:55 am

Yes, there is an inherent danger in all forms of hunting. However, it is really irresponsible to dismiss that danger as being part of the sport.


Can you explain those two sentences without contradiction?
Cold
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Rhock19 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 am

id like to hear that as well ^^
User avatar
Rhock19
hunter
 
Posts: 491
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 pm
Location: WI

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:01 am

Each and every time we as hunters take a shot there is a chance we are shooting in the direction of someone or something we can not see. This is especially true of waterfowling and any other hunting that requires us to be totally concealed from game. I believe as hunters it is as much our responsibility to know what it's around us as it is to make our position known to other hunters. You can't expect someone to not shoot your way if they don't know you are there for all they know it is a safe shot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby COYOTE JLR » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:44 am

I just chuckle that we have a guy who is simultaneously arguing that A) you shouldn't shoot a duck on the water at 30 yards because there's no way that the pellets could punch through it's "sloping tank armor" and B) You shouldn't shoot a bird on the water because the pellets might ricochet and somehow sink a boat or kill somebody who is hundreds of yards away.

Yes, you should know what's behind your target and you should always be mindful of where you shoot, but this argument is just silly.
COYOTE JLR
hunter
 
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Grays Harbor, WA

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby agengo02 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:16 am

Shot 2 on the water on friday on my way to a limit. One was a teal just after legal shooting time swimming around. No other groups looked to be approaching so I shot him, walked out and got him, and back tucked into my cover just in time for another group of teal to work. The other was a spoonie and I went back and forth on that decision hoping to wait for some big ducks; I had to get to work after the hunt so I opted for a quicker limit so I shot her. No big deal, clean quick kills, easy retrieves.

:beer:
agengo02
hunter
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: tx

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Stish85 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:29 am

With today's modern full chokes there is no reason you can't get a head shot every time on a sitting duck within 30 yards. Every bird I have ever shot on the water had been dead where it was sitting, cripples can be a bit tougher, especially if they are diving or can move fast

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Quackhead90 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am

ByersFarm wrote:I don't see the difference between shooting them back peddling and shooting them on the water.


Agreed
Quackhead90
hunter
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:02 pm

COYOTE JLR wrote:I just chuckle that we have a guy who is simultaneously arguing that A) you shouldn't shoot a duck on the water at 30 yards because there's no way that the pellets could punch through it's "sloping tank armor" and B) You shouldn't shoot a bird on the water because the pellets might ricochet and somehow sink a boat or kill somebody who is hundreds of yards away.


Well, your lack of reading comprehension and and poor problem solving skills is certainly evident! :eek: Just for the record, injury or damage does not mean "sink a boat or kill someone". The obvious one was pointed out, a pellet to the eye. How'd you like to fund legal defense if you were the one behind the trigger? Or, how'd you like to be the recipient of a steel BB to the eye at 200 yards?

I don't chuckle when I see posts like yours, I cringe.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby aunt betty » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
COYOTE JLR wrote:I just chuckle that we have a guy who is simultaneously arguing that A) you shouldn't shoot a duck on the water at 30 yards because there's no way that the pellets could punch through it's "sloping tank armor" and B) You shouldn't shoot a bird on the water because the pellets might ricochet and somehow sink a boat or kill somebody who is hundreds of yards away.


Well, your lack of reading comprehension and and poor problem solving skills is certainly evident! :eek: Just for the record, injury or damage does not mean "sink a boat or kill someone". The obvious one was pointed out, a pellet to the eye. How'd you like to fund legal defense if you were the one behind the trigger? Or, how'd you like to be the recipient of a steel BB to the eye at 200 yards?

I don't chuckle when I see posts like yours, I cringe.

Frank

Am pretty sure that proving which firearm shot a particular BB is impossible and you know it. 50/50

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
User avatar
aunt betty
hunter
 
Posts: 9910
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:09 pm
Location: Go HOGS!

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:02 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:
COYOTE JLR wrote:I just chuckle that we have a guy who is simultaneously arguing that A) you shouldn't shoot a duck on the water at 30 yards because there's no way that the pellets could punch through it's "sloping tank armor" and B) You shouldn't shoot a bird on the water because the pellets might ricochet and somehow sink a boat or kill somebody who is hundreds of yards away.


Well, your lack of reading comprehension and and poor problem solving skills is certainly evident! :eek: Just for the record, injury or damage does not mean "sink a boat or kill someone". The obvious one was pointed out, a pellet to the eye. How'd you like to fund legal defense if you were the one behind the trigger? Or, how'd you like to be the recipient of a steel BB to the eye at 200 yards?

I don't chuckle when I see posts like yours, I cringe.

Frank

Am pretty sure that proving which firearm shot a particular BB is impossible and you know it. 50/50

sent from my fancy phone that has a really cool kickstand via tapaskwawk


Just because ballistics cannot determine the exact firearm, there are other factors that come into play. Placing someone at the scene while carrying similar ammunition and no one else in the area? The law only requires that thing be proven beyond any reasonable doubt.

But, assuming your point is correct, would you be willing to take the chance in shooting a gun knowing that someone is in the line of fire and knowing that if anything happened, you could not be proven legally responsible?

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
User avatar
Frank Lopez
hunter
 
Posts: 2893
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:34 pm
Location: Long Island New York

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Cold » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Just because ballistics cannot determine the exact firearm, there are other factors that come into play. Placing someone at the scene while carrying similar ammunition and no one else in the area? The law only requires that thing be proven beyond any reasonable doubt.


Presence at the scene and posession of the means to commit a crime is nowhere even remotely close to "beyond a reasonable doubt". That you would imply otherwise calls into question your views on other matters being discussed as well.
Cold
hunter
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Re: Shooting Ducks/Geese on the water

Postby Feather Seeker » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:28 pm

my decoys and call create an illusion that"fool" real ducks into coming close to my setup,so i can shoot at them .if they land in my setup then i have perfected the illusion perfectly.
Feather Seeker
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:24 pm

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron