HI guys

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

HI guys

Postby goin4smallies » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:54 am

Ive been lurking for a few months and I like what ive seen, you all been a big help to me in one way shape or form

My youngest son recently bought a boat with a 25 tiller prop on the back .... it looked pretty rough but its getting there , he got a Avery frame with it and is looking at material to cover it also want to make a flip back roof for it .. we looked at several sites and cant seem to find a God material thats water proof
Also what recommendations would you give to making the roof
Im going to add some pictures of what the boat looked like when we bought and how far he has gotten
we tore it down and put 1/8" aluminum diamond plating for flooring put 2 inches of foam under it

goin4smallies
hunter

Re: HI guys

Postby canderso » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Congrats on the boat. The paint is looking good. Any chance that is a SeaArk? What size is it?

As far as fabric, the skies the limit. You could buy the material from Avery to fit the blind. You could pick up some camoflage tarps from Harbor Freight and then cover in some type of military surplus die cut camo material. Add some raffia grass or local vegetation with plastic zip ties (local vegetation is free).

Depends on where and how you are hunting. And of course budget.

You are off to a great start.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:13 pm

As a matter of fact it is a Sea Ark , its a 16ft with a 50" bottom .... it has a 25 prop on the back . he is bugging me to let him sell that and put a 50/30 jet tiller on the back

We were hoping to find an old military tarp and use that as material for the blind and just stencil n paint it and add loops to veggie it out deoending on where and what we are hunting

Thanks for the compliment on the paint ... its a low budget job right now , he started his freshman year at Penn State for Mechanical Engieering
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:40 pm

I have a 1650 Alumacraft. One of the guys in my hunting group has a 2072 SeaArk. It is one hell of a boat. I think at times mine looks like a decent size boat. Then I pull up next to him and mine looks like a little toy. I think I would really like an 1872 SeaArk, but tht is a few years down the road.

I use military surplus camo and it works great. Spray an extra dusting of paint on it and tie on your vegetation and you will be set. Low budget builds are the way to go. Making a payment on something during the off season is no fun! Besides, give your son one year under his belt while studying to be an ME and he will have some grand plans to execute next summer!
canderso
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:14 pm

That is nice hull should last a long time. Jet outboards are cool and can run shallow but I would get one if u encounter weeds at all there good for hard bottom waters. I'd get a old military tent and camo netting to cover the blind the paint looks good.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm

We hunt the susquehanna river , you almost need a jet unless its abive 4.5 ft at Harrisburg
I have a 18ft with a 72" wide bottom with plastic on the hull powered by a 135 jet , and its ideal for that river !!!

Josh grew up on jets since its basically all i ever owned since he was a baby and all he has ever really been in
There is a section LOADED with Woodies and he realk wants to get after them as well as the later season is full of MAllards and Buffle heads and an occacasional Canvas back as well as Black Ducks

So IM hoping in a year or 2 he will be able to afford one if he can sell the 25 prop
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby redrover44 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:59 pm

i just built a blind for my jet boat and i bought a roll of 500d Cordura fabric from magnafabrics.com.. somthing like $2 a linear yard.. waterproof, windproof, works great!
redrover44
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:13 pm

If you wanna get real cheap about it, just buy the frame for the blind, the connect the blind frames with plastic garden fence. (Like chain link fence, only plastic).
This is durable enough for my use, and make ziptie-ing vegetation and/or grass mats a breeze.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Getting there ........
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:26 pm

That looks fantastic! I just realized after reading some of your other posts that you are from Reading. Small world. As soon as I saw the part about the jet engine, i figured you were hanging out in the Susquehanna. Crazy shallow river with lots of rocks. Great hunting. I hunt with two guys on the Susquehanna and one runs a jet on a 16 jon boat. The other runs a big SeaArk with a prop. He uses a Mac's River Runner skeg protector to keep the prop from getting banged up. Pretty cheap insurance if you were looking to save some wear and tear until the jet was a possibility.
canderso
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:03 pm

Yea .... its a rock garden to say the least .... this is my boat we use to fish the river
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby ZMan079 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Goin4smallies,

Looks awesome, makes me want to paint mine up (maybe next year)...
My cousin used to run mine on the Susquehanna until I bought it off of him. He ran a Yamaha 40/50 (or a 30/40)..

lots of places on-line to buy camo material, etc.

I'm in the process of doing info finishing up my pre-season updates, so ill post the updated picss then, here is a link to my build I did last year... Duck Xpress

Keep posting the updates...

ZMan079
Duck Xpress - My Boat Blind Project
ZMan079
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:46 pm

I was hoping we would have finished up sooner but with Jr starting College and my oldest playing Football at College and goin to games and work and such .... we FINALLY have the paint done

Not bad for a couple of amatuers ......

Now to get the blind together !
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:09 pm

That's looking really good. Nice work! :thumbsup:
Keep us posted
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby canderso » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:07 pm

Smallies- that paint turned out awesome. I would be proud to say I painted that!
canderso
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:20 am

Maiden voyage ..... the motor hasnt run in 2 years , changed the lower unit oil, put new gas in thetank with a little extra oil and stabil .... took a little bit but it started and ran like a champ !!!!!!

Was kinda worried the camo pattern would be a tad dark , but it looks like it will blend in fine
Jr was more excited than a fat kid in a candy store !!! I made him back the trailer in the water load and unload the boat off the trailer .... drove it right up on on the 1st shot .. little Sheets head !!!
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:23 am

NOW IF HE WOULD JUST PAINT THAT DARN MOTOR !!!!!!! :mad:

:biggrin:
goin4smallies
hunter

Postby bulletman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:03 am

goin4smallies wrote:NOW IF HE WOULD JUST PAINT THAT DARN MOTOR !!!!!!! :mad:

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
bulletman
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:10 am

goin4smallies wrote:NOW IF HE WOULD JUST PAINT THAT DARN MOTOR !!!!!!! :mad:

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby goin4smallies » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi guys , I haven't been around in quite awhile ... a lot going on
Been a FANTASTIC summer , my youngest and I have been tearing up smallies all summer long !!
But we finally got to getting his boat 100% ready for the duck season

we had an avery frame that came with the boat , so after a lot of thinking of what we were gonna make that blind out of , he decided on tent /tarpcanvas .... so I asked him and how do you plan on fastening it to the frame ??

He answered , "I sew it !!" .... aaaaaaaaaah ... ok ... Have you ever sewn ?? His response ... Hell pop .. If granmom can I sew I can figure it out ! :no:

So he bought a 1960 something singer sewing machine off craigslist , went to a fabric store asked what do I need to sew this material .... I never saw sooo many women bend over backwards to help this kid out ..... ok .... maybe I used the wrong wording , but you guys know what I mean !!!

Anyway he cut and sewed this entire thing pretty much by himself !!!! I was impressed to say the least !!

But he is a Mechanical Engineering Major !! LOL

Anyway here is his finished product ... not too shabby for a 19 year old !

goin4smallies
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:31 pm

Darn good looking rig. A man that can create his blind is way better off than anyone that goes to the store and purchase a pre-made job. Sewing your own blind will make it stronger than anything he will ever purchase, especially if it was made in China. I did the same thing. Here you go. Again, excellent looking rig! If you ever want to a leafy type pattern for timber style hunting. Cut burlap strips about 12-16 inches long 1.5-2.5 inches wide and tie them into your grass. Looks good and breaks up the straight grass look.
Attachments
IMG_20130622_174343.jpg
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Postby handyandy » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:31 am

Thats some good looking work on the boat and I can understand wanting the jet there. Earlier I was just saying that cause lots of people think they need one cause one little area they go to it would be good for. Glad the boat turned out well it sure looks great. I gotta give your son credit I'm usually willing to try and tackle learning how to do anything new to make something I want but sewing is one thing I have never persued.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds