What to plant for ducks

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

What to plant for ducks

Postby colebyrob » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:27 pm

I have a beaver swamp in Alabama and was wondering what i could plant in it for the wood ducks. There is some spots where the water level is down and is just bare mud and the other is about 6 inch deep water. what could i plant here? Rice, Japanese Millet, Milo etc.
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Re: What to plant for ducks

Postby FowledReality » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I don't know of anything that'll grow in standing water. In the mud flat, I'd go with Golden Millet. It's advantage over regular millet is it's ability to grow in a shallow flood. If you get it planted and germinated it can handle a water level at half the plants height. We have some right now at 20 inches tall, then Isaac came and the hole was holding a foot of water. We pumped a bunch out and got the water level back under 8. We spread fertilizer on it right before 7 inches of rain last week and it's grown over 10 inches the past 7 days!
FowledReality
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 pm

smartweed!
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby dannosdoormats » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Great report Fowled!!! Glad to see some helpfull, accurate info being shared on this board. Thanx :smile:
dannosdoormats
hunter

Postby BoB_25 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

http://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identif ... smartweed/

Smartweed is a perennial plant that forms dense colonies in shallow water or moist soils and can grow to 3 feet tall. Stems are jointed or have swollen leaf nodes that are surrounded by a tubular sheath. Roots can develop from the leaf nodes. Leaves are alternate, lance-shaped up to 4 inches long but usually less than 1/2 inch wide. Flowers are on spikes at the end of stems (often numerous spikes on the same plant). Flowers begin as greenish then turn whitish or light pink in color as they mature. Fruits are flat, triangular (1/8 inch), dark brown to black.

Submerged portions of all aquatic plants provide habitats for many micro and macro invertebrates. These invertebrates in turn are used as food by fish and other wildlife species (e.g. amphibians, reptiles, ducks, etc). After aquatic plants die, their decomposition by bacteria and fungi provides food (called “detritus”) for many aquatic invertebrates. Smartweed seeds are heavily consumed by ducks, small birds, and small mammals.
RIP Ron Wieneke
BoB_25
hunter

Postby Timbergreen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:27 am

Hey if your looking to plant foods like Japanese millet, smartweed, milo, corn, buckwheat and rice for ducks, in swamps or natural habitats you need to check out SwampWreck.com. These guys kill a lot of ducks every year by planting their beaver swamps, cypress breaks, ponds, river bottoms and low grounds. They have figured out how to control water and grow duck food to turn natural habitats into impoundments. A lot of people don't have the ability to construct a 5-10 acre impoundment with flooded corn every year. But almost every duck hunter has a pond or beaver swamp they have access to. Manipulating natural habitats for ducks is a cheaper alternative than building an impoundment and anyone can do it. I went to Swampwreck.com over the spring and found out how to manage my beaver swamp and this summer planted it all in Japanese millet and Milo. I followed their general idea and i couldn't be more pleased. My crop is knee high and I have high hopes for this season!
Timbergreen
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting