Hello all, help needed for a beginner

Share your opinions, reply to posts and meet others in the South Carolina duck hunting forum.

Hello all, help needed for a beginner

Postby Bpowell » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am

Hey guys, im completely new to duck hunting and in need of some advice. Actually a lot of advice is needed, and this post is sure to be loaded, so if anyone is up for it I would greatly appteciate it.

Basically I need to know what gear isabsolutely essential . I have a shotgun, a 13 foot jon boat and a whole lotta "want to"... Thats pretty much it. Is a dog an absolute must?

Where should I hunt(im not looking for specifics, I know that information is probably privy to family and close friends)? I live in Simpsonville but travel for work constantly. Im currently in Chattanooga and will be here through January off and on. Should I focus my attention here(chatt area/northern alabama), or come back to Upstate SC on the weekends? Obviously the Greenville area is no hotbed for duck hunting, but apparently this part of TN isnt either.

What about etiquette on the water? Last thing I want to do is disturb another hunter.

And last, how much am I looking to spend on decoys, camo, etc?

Again, I know this is a lot to answer, and if its too much I completely understand. But this seems like a reasonable forum with friendly folks so I figured I would give it a try. Thanks yall!
Bpowell
Newb

Re: Hello all, help needed for a beginner

Postby shorton » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Most essentials are waders, shotgun, shells, decoys, and a good place to hunt. (Not necessairly in that order either)

If you have a boat a dog isnt really necessary, but makes for great company and is awesome to watch them work. Wish i had one myself for those reasons

As far as location I am still trying to find that myself. I had access to some great woodie hunting on the black river in manning but we lost it this year due to farming situation.
shorton
Newb

Re: Hello all, help needed for a beginner

Postby bigsprig » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 am

Welcome to the forum, but do not expect too much advice here for a new hunter.

The best way for you to learn is to find an experienced hunter or hunters to teach you.

You do not just buy a gun and find some woods anywhere you want to deer hunt and you can not just put your boat in anywhere to duck hunt.

Join/volunteer with a local waterfowl organization and get to know some other hunters.

Read all the duck hunting how to books you can find and ask questions of others that hunt now.

Not trying to discourage you, glad you want to become a duck hunter, but posting questions on a forum is just the beginning of what should be a long learning process.

Read, listen, and research, you will find there are opportunities out there, just not going to find them on here.

Good luck and good hunting.
Pro staff: Pop Tarts, Little Debbie, Armour Vienna Sausage! Just an old duck hunter that grew up hunting from Moes lake to McGirts Lake in beautiful Sparkleberry Swamp.
bigsprig
hunter

Return to South Carolina Duck Hunting