Safety Harness

From big game to target practice to 3d shoots

Moderators: LaRedneck, birddog crazy, buffleheadnc2

Safety Harness

Postby cONG » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm new to bow-hunting, and wont to get me a good safety harness. So what dose everyone like?
cONG
hunter

Re: Safety Harness

Postby quackhead38 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:29 am

tree spider looks to be pretty comfortable and safe
i use a hunter safety system and its really comfortable and i also have an ameristep safety vest from walmart that aint bad either
i think i saw a gorrilla safety vest at wally world for like 70 bucks
:thumbsup:
"we kill things we don't understand"
quackhead38
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 pm

I love the hunter safety system vest. Piece of cake to put on and comfy. Beats dealing with tons of straps and buckles on some full body harnesses.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Safety Harness

Postby whisperin' duck » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:57 pm

I prefer good balance and common sense as my safety harness. For some its hard to come by, I'm just blessed...
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:17 am

whisperin' duck wrote:I prefer good balance and common sense as my safety harness. For some its hard to come by, I'm just blessed...

Your certainly not lacking confidence, but as far as common sense goes, you should exercise a little more. It only takes one mishap, and you could be paralyzed for life or worse dead. :huh:

For the original poster, I use the hunters safety system ultra lite harness. It only has three easy buckles, and its very comfortable. Whatever your choice is, its good to have one rather than not. :thumbsup:
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:51 pm

no joke^ only take a little dew, muddy boot, wind shaking the tree to knock you off balance enough.

I use a gorilla standard strap system and its comfortable enough
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby cONG » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Aim pretty set on buying the tree spider speed vest, with looking at every harness, I like this one the best.
cONG
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:26 am

waterdogds wrote:Your certainly not lacking confidence, but as far as common sense goes, you should exercise a little more. It only takes one mishap, and you could be paralyzed for life or worse dead. :huh:

Look at it like this; you are hunting and have your harness on, you fall, the harness slaps your body against the tree, that you have driven giant nails into to climb, you have one nail through a lung and another through a thigh. Now, you're dangling helplessly while bleeding. What do you do here? Or, you don't get jabbed by the nails and you just dangle there until coyotes come and munch on your feet while you're dangling there.

Me, I have faith that I'm going to die when I die. It don't matter if I wear a helmet riding a fourwheeler or a searbelt in a truck. What is the difference in those and a harness in a tree stand? You just keep thinking that a harness is going to save your life and I'll keep knowing that as long as I don't do somthing completely stupid, like you obviously worry about doing :huh:, and I'll be fine.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterdogds » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:51 am

whisperin' duck wrote:
waterdogds wrote:Your certainly not lacking confidence, but as far as common sense goes, you should exercise a little more. It only takes one mishap, and you could be paralyzed for life or worse dead. :huh:

You just keep thinking that a harness is going to save your life and I'll keep knowing that as long as I don't do somthing completely stupid, like you obviously worry about doing :huh:, and I'll be fine.

I'm not worried the least little bit. Why? Because, I'm not going to be completely stupid, and climb up into a tree 20' without my safety harness. Fact is, I have never heard of anyone dying from using a safety harness. I have however, heard of more than a few that have been severely injured or died from a fall without one.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:50 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:

Look at it like this; you are hunting and have your harness on, you fall, the harness slaps your body against the tree, that you have driven giant nails into to climb, you have one nail through a lung and another through a thigh. Now, you're dangling helplessly while bleeding. What do you do here? Or, you don't get jabbed by the nails and you just dangle there until coyotes come and munch on your feet while you're dangling there.

what about guys using climbers and ladders? the chance of you getting impaled by a spike on a fall is much less likely than the chance of getting injured from falling all the way down....... and if you have your stand set up right you wont fall on to or near the spikes.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:35 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

what about guys using climbers and ladders? the chance of you getting impaled by a spike on a fall is much less likely than the chance of getting injured from falling all the way down....... and if you have your stand set up right you wont fall on to or near the spikes.

I use a climber with a fold up bar. That way I don't have anything in front of me to hinder my movement.

To each his own. I'm going to die when I die. Not a day sooner, or later for that matter. All a safety harness will do is scare off a deer or make me miss a shot.

I feel comfortable in knowing my limitations. For those of you who choose to wear a harness, wear it. You know my opinion. Be prepared to meet God and have a good life insurance policy for your family.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby peteyg2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:32 pm

You remind me of an old joke.

A flood was coming, and a man ignored warnings to leave his house. As the water reached his door, the fire dept came by in a truck and said, "come with us." The man responded, "no, I'm staying. The Lord will provide." When the water reached the second floor, a police boat arrived. Again, the man refused to leave. "The Lord will provide." When the water reached the roof, the coast guard sent a helicopter to save him. Again, the man responded, "I'm not leaving. The Lord will provide."

Finally, the man drowned. When he reached heaven, he asked the Lord, "Lord, I faithfully believed you would save me. What happened." The Lord responded, "I sent a truck, a boat, and a helicopter, you idiot!"

You may die when you're going to die, and the Lord may provide, but I'm wearing a harness.

Top the OP...I use the harness that comes with the stand. As long as TMA certified, it's fine. Others are more comfortable, but I wear mine under the outerlayer, and it's never been a problem.
peteyg2
hunter

Postby b_walte15 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 am

Definetly go with a Hunter Safety System. A little bit pricey but definitely worth it!
b_walte15
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Stay on the ground.... you don't have to worry about falling............................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby DanJeffandJack » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:22 am

Don't listen to Whispering Duck. He's a modern day james bond. His middle name is dangerous.

I wear my harness religiously. Only takes one mistake and in my opinion to not wear one is incredibly stupid. Especially if you have kids or a wife who depend on you.

I wear the Hunter Safety Ultra Lite.

Would I get it again? Eh, I think there are better options out there like the spider harnesses. But it does its job well.
vincentpa wrote:The southern boys get it all. It's not right.
DanJeffandJack
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:16 pm

I dont go in a tree without one! I have had 2 friends get hurt.... One broke his hip ( Was feeling bad in the stand and was fixing to get down and fell out) The other guy broke his back ( same case feeling bad or passed out). Wear one! I have never not been able to make a shot bc of one!
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:39 pm

I love my tree spyder. My wife has the spyder lite. I have taken care of patients that have fallen from a tree stand. Most break there back or neck. I don't get in a treestand without one. Why take a chance.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Archery