Roll call

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Hi everyone

Postby rstrong » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:18 pm

Hello, I am new to this forum. I live in central Texas, but I come from Northeast Louisiana. I have hunted ducks for many years and would like to find a place in the local area to get my fix. I had a place last year in the Taylor area, but lost it. I have hunted all over,including Stuttgart and saw last year that when central Texas has rainfall, the ducks are here. I also would like to find somewhere to do some deer hunting. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I do have a pirogue if any one wants to get together this coming season and do some hunting. I look forward to visiting with everyone.
rstrong
Newb

Re: Roll call

Postby depeschke » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Howdy, my name is Eric and I am from Giddings and a junior at Texas A&M. This was my first year duck hunting and me and a couple buddies tried to learn ourselves. We had our bad days at first but got a lot better as the season started winding down. I hunt mainly family land near Smithville and have a place on the Colorado that was pretty good this year. The lack of water has really made it hard to hunt the majority of our places. Im all ears if anyone wants to teach me something.
depeschke
hunter

Postby hardtimes » Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 am

Howdy, Jerrod Hancock, Stephenville, TX. Just moved back after a couple years in Arkansas. I really took up the sport when I lived up there and can't wait for duck season to come back around. I am an electrician, and have pretty flexible schedule in the winter (great for hunting). Anybody in the Stephenville area wants to get together sometime, let me know I have a boat, blind, and a dog I trained myself who seems to be coming along pretty well. I don't think she is going to be in the SRS but she hunts well and is a great companion.
Times are Hard
hardtimes
hunter

Postby CCducker » Fri May 15, 2009 6:21 am

:welcome:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby Caudillo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am

Hello, My name is Paul and i am 26 years old engineer for weatherford. i just moved to Corpus Christi from Farmington, New Mexico. I have hunted ducks and geese since i was 10 all over new mexico. While i was in college i bought a yellow lab who has turned out to be a great hunting dog. If anyone is around the area at all hit me up sometime to go hunting.
Caudillo
hunter

Postby Broussard5 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Hello friends,
I'm a newbie to this. I am a lifelong duck hunter, unfortunately for the past 10 years+ I haven't been able to go nearly enough to even be considered a hunter. I've been married 7 years and have three awesome kids. My boy's 6 now so I've decided that we are going to start duck hunting again no matter what it takes. I grew up hunting South LA (Pecan Island) but when my grandpa passed the lease got buried with him, then my Dad decided duck hunting was too much work. So there I was 17, no place to hunt, and no money to find somewhere else to hunt. So that's where the 10+ years started. I live in La Porte (SE Houston) and am wanting to try out public hunting Anahuac or somewhere on this side of Houston. Can anyone fill me in a little about hunting there? I've never been, is it worth it?
Broussard5
Newb

Postby Decoy man » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 am

Hello
My name is Doug. I have hunted ducks for 51 years. Lived and hunted in Michgan for 40 years then moved to Flower Mound Tx. Bought a one of a kind boat and is now a duck boat but I'm in the process of making some changes to it. Plan to hunt Texas and Oklahoma this year. I will probably hunt every week end some where. I have hunted all over the world for big game but "ducks" is where it is at!
Decoy man
hunter

Postby mudduck72 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:22 pm

my name is john burns,iam married with three kids.i live in northeast texas.new to duck huntin,but iam a duckaholic &proud of it. :biggrin:
mudduck72
Newb

Postby Marsh bandit » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:33 am

Whatsup whatsup whatsup!
My name is Charlie I live in pearland. 21 yrs old. Been huntin duck huntin for a longtime now and deer huntin since I got off the tit. Usually hunt the coast near Freeport and matagorda and head to Baffin every weekend I can. Enjoying the site.
Marsh bandit
Newb

Postby redneckpilot » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Names cody. I live in Sulphur Springs which is by Lake Fork and Cooper lake. Im 18 years old and hunt anything with hair, scales and feathers. Pm me if you want to hunt
redneckpilot
hunter

Postby jdblack234 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Hi my ame is James and I live in Grapevine Tx. I hunt mainly Ray Roberts and Richland Chambers and a couple other public properties. I've hunted and fished my whole life, but only got into waterfowl hunting about 12 years ago while in the military in Northern California. I usually take a couple trips to northern Ca a year to hammer some Honkers and I really miss the duck hunting there. The CA Parks and Wildlife really manage thier refuges well and they hold a ton of birds.

TAKE 'EM
jdblack234
Newb

Postby oneshot-duckdown » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey, my name is Kevin Iam from a small SETX town called Old River. I am 41 years old and have been hunting practically my entire life, specifically ducks for about 30years. Single dad of a 12 year old son who loves hunting as much as I do. Season has been over less than a week and I already am having withdrawls
oneshot-duckdown
hunter

Postby cajundan » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:27 pm

What up Foo's!!!!!!

G, Jason, Sammy, Gene, JJ, Kevin, Joe, etc

Some familiar faces round these parts. :beer:

D
cajundan
hunter

Postby oneshot-duckdown » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:03 am

cajundan, as i live and breathe.I'm tellin ya what guy's.... they will let ANYONE on here :yes: :hi: ,

glad to have ya Dan!! :beer:
oneshot-duckdown
hunter

Postby Gauge17 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:01 pm

My name is Andrew Leal and I from San Antonio, TX. I am an avid outdoorsmen and just recently turned duck hunter. I also love to fish, cook, and play a little guiptar. I was a former commercial banker and am now a bank examiner with the Texas Department of Banking. I am engaged to a beautiful lady who loves the outdoors as much as I do. I look forward to chatting with ya'll and thanks for having me.
"Even a blind squirrel can find an acorn." - Al D.
Gauge17
hunter

Postby JamesH28 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey Everyone I am James from Austin by way of Bend Oregon. I have been hunting Ducks and Geese about 2 years pheasent, quail, chukar, grouse, turkey, and doves since i was 14. I am looking forward to killing some snows, and Texas ducks as well as whitetail and turkey.
JamesH28
hunter

Postby Send'em » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Afternoon fellas...

New to the forum not the whole forum experience tho. im 23 live south of houston. Ive been chasin waterfowl all up and down the flyway for the past 10 years ever since I got the sickness. I guide some and hunt w friends new and old alike whenever im not runnin trips. Have dog ready to travel. Im always down. Period. Lookin forward to a bang-up season. :hi: :beer:

Dense Patterns & Heavy Straps
Cody
Send'em
Newb

Postby MurphyMID » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Brandon here,

San Angelo native and current resident. I am currently working on a small boat to hunt ducks with, and also looking for someone to hunt with around San Angelo...
2012:
Birds 76
MurphyMID
hunter

Postby cordsig79 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Cord, 30s, living in Central Texas/Austin. Grew up duck hunting near rice farms in NorthEastern Arkansas. Moved to Texas in 86. Continued hunting North of DFW........up to Red river. Then went to SFA, duck hunted most of east texas soggy bottom bayous, and sloughy rivers, and a few of the type 2 fields. Got a few Lake Cherokee duck hunts in, Richland Chambers, and private leases from Longview up to Dekalb.........duckiest stuff I have seen compared to Ark. always went back to ark on thanksgiving or xmas and got in a hunt or 2.....still have alot acreage up there the family owns, pasture, and flooded timber near white and black rivers.

Had a duck boat, got stolen........got a bit out of whack the past few years with work and sold my wake board boat, found new employment, and really wanting to ramp back into everything.

Love to get a decent open water boat and a laydown boat as well or kayak. Got the dekes, same gun since I was 16.....shoot 20 gauge, prefer to not Hail call at ducks as they work, appreciate using cover and not standing out in the open.......and really like a good 200 yards from each hunting party if forced to be next to each other.....very old schooler.

Old school trained....but not a good feed caller :sad:
Last edited by cordsig79 on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cordsig79
hunter

Location: Just now tryingAustin Tx, grew up hunting Red River, DFW, East Tx, and North Eastern Arkansas

Postby txcstquackwkr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:46 pm

Hi i'm Preston been huntin the matagorda area coast since I was 10, I'm 25 now.
I'm new to the site, never owned a bird dog but shot alot of ducks
txcstquackwkr
hunter

Postby flightdoc84 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Howdy everyone. My name is Charles and I am currently on Active duty in the Army. Been doing the Army thing for almost 8 years now and I will retire from it. Currently finishing up a tour in the ole sandbox. I got hopelessly addicted to quack about 4 years ago and cannot stop. Got a new sweet rig on midtour this year and cant wait to try her out. I grew up in Hallsville in East Texas but am stationed in Kansas and let me tell ya there is some mighty fine hunting up that way. When I am home I frequent Jefferson and Fork mainly.
Charles Galloway
Only number that matters is lives saved
DUSTOFF!!
flightdoc84
hunter

Postby RShockley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 pm

:welcome: to the site! Put some pics of that new rig up!
RShockley
hunter

Postby SoQuacked » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:18 am

Hello everyone, names Brendin..21 years old, currently active duty military stationed in Germany. Been in the Army for 3 years. Originally from South Louisiana, Franklin to be exact. I was raised in the marsh and swamp, it's where my heart is. I moved to Houston during my high school years and only got to hunt during christmas and thanksgiving time. Ever since I have joined the military I haven’t been able to hunt at all. I look forward to getting out and moving back to the League City, Baytown, Texas City area so I will be able to hunt the coast, but also close enough to Houston incase job opportunities arise.
SoQuacked
Newb

Postby bjepsen85 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:15 pm

Welcome to the site Brendon, thanks for your service.
bjepsen85
hunter

Postby spiky208 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm

hi y'all, im ray,19 i live in Texarkana and love it here. been hunting since my grandpa took me when i was 12. I hunt some of our private land as well as the red river and lake wright pat man. hunted patman this year for the first time and did pretty good, shot a good bit of teal. iv got a new pup named sophie, she's 6months old and has already been retrieving some blue wing and dove for me. i duck hunt with a browning maxus with a ext patternmaster, seams to be a deadly combo as of last year.
glad to meet y'all and learn what i can.
spiky208
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Texas Duck Hunting