Roll call

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

just started

Postby txluke » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:22 am

Howdy yall. My name is Luke and I am 31 and origionaly from the Valley. I got hitched about a year and a half ago and moved with my wife to Victoria. My in-laws are into duck hunting so I decided to join them (got tired of beating them) My wifes cousin just married a feller that is so into duck hunting they tied decoys to the back of his truck instead of cans. His grooms cake was a set up with a blind and ducks on a pond. I guess it is good because that means there is another boat in the family. I was mostly dove and quail hunter in the valley but now I am lookin to get a boat and dog. One of my friends from the Valley moved to Victoria also and breeds labs. Helped him move so I get one for free. (lucky me) I am a student and have lots of time to hunt. If anyone hunts around here let me know and perhpas we can slay the ducks together.
txluke
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:40 am

:welcome: Luke
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby BacksloooBob » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:11 am

:welcome:
BacksloooBob
hunter

Postby mossyjoke » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you got yourself a heck of a situation. It won't take long for you to become addicted. :welcome:
" I ain't got time to bleed. "
mossyjoke
hunter

hey

Postby J Loves Huntin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:33 pm

So far teal season has not been Awsome but it has been fun. I am a little new to it but I do understand that ducks, no ducks, or one duck are all possible hunting scenarios. :biggrin:
Jonathan
Jesus Saves!!!
Season 2010-2011
2 Specks
1 Dove
J Loves Huntin
hunter

Postby Whack 'em, stack 'em » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 am

A newbie to the forum. Name's Darren....grew up in Port Neches, and now live in Nacogdoches. Guided in Winnie for 9+ years, and pulled enough money hunting folks to pay my way through LSU. I'm now a lawyer, been married 12 years to a wonderful women and we have 3 boys: one 7 y/o, one 4 y/o, and the baby is 1 y/o this past August.

I tell folks that with the arrival of the youngest I've now got a full duck blind.

Haven't been able to hunt like I used to these past few year with the kids being as young as they are, the constant chores that come with owning a home, and I gave up my old lease in Winnie (the birds have simply stopped using the area for some 7 years now; I've got my theories why, but that's for another thread) leaving me homeless and at the mercy of invitations. I've got an open invite to some land outside Sargent, but it's such a long haul that I only get to go some 2 times per year.

I swore I'd never avail myself to public hunting once I found a home w/ decent hunting and good ducks, and for years I didn't set one foot in McFaddin, Sea Rim, Texas Point, Murphrees, or Anahuac, the very places where I learned how to hunt. But now, I've got to go back to the public side of things for reasons not anticipated at the time I pronounced myself no longer subject to the 4:00 am rat race, though in a different venue.

My 7 y/o has the fever just as bad as his daddy's had it (and still has it) upon first sitting in that cold, November sleet in a blind located some 5 miles west Sabine Pass some 33 years ago. And not only does he provide insulation from the wife and give me an excuse to kick it up again, it's actually the truth. There's a lot to learn about life in a duck blind, much less teaching him the ins and outs of everything it takes to tap some birds in and around Nacogdoches so he can fend for himself here in another 9 years or so. But not knowing how it works up here I'm afraid we're in for a couple of frustrating seasons, and I hope it doesn't curtail my son's present enthusiasm. But it'll give me the opportunity to teach him that duck hunting is so much more than full straps, something I didn't learn for quite some time.

Just cut the stock down on my 870 .410 to fit him and took him to shoot some skeet...after burning a couple boxes of shells he began to catch on...the ol' " pretend that you're pointing a waterhose at a dog running through the yard" works everytime. Even found a guy who reloads .410 steel, so he's in bidness. Of course, I'll be shooting back-up like I've been doing for God knows how long.

But that's okay...that's what it's all about.

Nice forum, btw.
Whack 'em, stack 'em
hunter

HOWDY YALL

Postby CULTURED REDNECK » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:00 pm

HOWDY YALL!! IM KINDA NEW TO THIS FORUM STUFF, BUT I LIKE WHAT I'VE READ SO FAR. THERE IS LOTS IN INFO ON THIS DUCK HUNTING DESEASE I GOT OUT THERE!!! MY NAME IS JOSH, I LIVE IN HOUSTON NEAR THE BIG AIRPORT (IAH). I LIKE TO SAY "THE REST OF THE WORLD IS A 10 MIN. DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE." THE BEST DUCK HUNTING SPOT I HAVE FOUND IS ANAHUAC, 60 MILES OR A ONE HOUR DRIVE. NOT TOO SHABBY HUH? ALTHOUGH GETTING AROUND ON THE MUD FLATS PRESENTS A CHALLENGE FROM TIME TO TIME, I HAVE GOT A COUPLE REAL GOOD HUNTING BUDDYS WITH PLENTY OF PERSEVERANCE, STRONG BACKS AND WEAK WILLS. GIVE ME A SHOUT IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ANAHUAC MUD FLATS OR ANY ADVICE ON HOT SPOTS NEARBY...
CULTURED REDNECK
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:32 pm

:welcome: to this site Josh, great to have you here.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby BacksloooBob » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:45 pm

:welcome:
BacksloooBob
hunter

Howdy

Postby billgina81 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:57 pm

Well, my name is Gina and I live in Bryan, TX by way of East Texas. Only been here about 6 months. I grew up in a duck hunting family, married a duck hunter and recently became one myself. I have my own gear and gun and my husband and I have our once fishing boat all camo'd out! :thumbsup:

We usually hunt on teh Sulfur River near New Boston, but are really looking for places near us to hunt. Anywhere within 50 miles of Bryan/College Station. Anybody have any suggestions?

Love this site! Just found it, but already love it!

Gina
Yeah, I'm a Girl!
billgina81
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:45 pm

:welcome: Gina and I assume Bill. Get him signed up and posting too.

Very glad to have you aboard.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby okfastball99 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:50 pm

I'm Wes, an Okie now living in Plano, TX. 34 yrs old, married, 2 girls. Started duck hunting a few years ago, but just now getting serious about it.

I have only hunted/fished in OK - Lake Eufaula area (lifetime license) and would like to start scouting some areas around N. Texas (Lewisville, Ray Roberts, Texoma) to do some duck hunting and crappie fishing.

This hunting season has been okay so far -- got a doe during bowseason and a buck during muzzleloading season. (4 hunting trips on public corp land). Went duck hunting twice this season - shutout the first time and got 3 the second time (1 teal, 1 gadwall, 1 mallard).

Would like to find someone to go hunting with in N Dallas area that knows the area. Gas prices are taking a toll on my hunting trips to OK!

okfastball99
Newb

Postby DoubleBayou » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:17 am

Great to have you here Wes! :thumbsup:
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Hey!

Postby CCducker » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:54 pm

Hey everybody, my names Taylor im 21 Ive been Duck hunting about 10 years now. I am living in Corpus Christi at the moment attending the fine school of Texas A&M CC. Got every duck hunting amenity you could think of with the exception of a boat with a motor :smile:. Got a couple of good buddies who are always up for a hunt. We have incredible duck hunting down this way with an incredible number of species we have shot 13-14 species this season so far!. If you hunt and dont whine then your welcome to come along. Im up for trading hunts or just coming along for the ride. Just looking for a couple of new hunting buddies and some new places to hunt. So send me a message if you live near me or head my way and we will bust some quack.

-Taylor

Last edited by CCducker on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:46 pm

:welcome: to the site Taylor and thank you for graciously inviting others to share in your good times!
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby txtacoma » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:26 pm

My name is Jonathan I live in Waxahachie (30m south ofDallas).This is my first season duck hunting. I normally deer hunt down in Junction, and decided to broaden my hunting. I have a GSP that will be 1 yr end of Nov, her name is Sam. I did not shoot anything the first round, I am still working on gear inventory: dekes, guns, wet weather gear,etc, andhopefully a newer boat in Jan.
txtacoma
hunter

Postby DoubleBayou » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Welcome to the site Jonathan and to the world of duck hunting!!

Its a disease.
DoubleBayou
State Moderator

Postby lordone » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:50 pm

hi, my name is Lani. i am 37 an am originally from south east louisiana. i hunted alot growing up in la and have been in texas for over 10 years now. i have just started duck hunting here over the past year with my brother. my family has a place on south toledo bend where we have gone on a couple hunts so far. not much luck getting on ducks there so far, last weekend the game warden told us that they very seldomly see duck hunters. planning a trip to b.a. steinhagen next week. my brother and i have our gear pretty much together and have an older boat. i am new to the site, so if anyone has any advice on toledo, steinhagen, or any areas near houston, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! i am happy to share any info that i have, and willing to trade toledo bend bass fishing info!!!! thanks
lordone
Newb

Postby heatdabeat » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:07 pm

please allow myself to introduce.........myself. hey everybody, my name's heath. i live in austin, grew up in the small town of taylor. just started hunting with a buddy of mine about 3 years ago. started out tank jumping, but went to east texas to hunt with a cousin and got hooked once he showed us the real way to hunt......out of a boat!! this being said, i went out and got crazy on gear: bought waders, calls, gloves, jackets, bags, coys (that's our own term since everyone else calls em dekes), mojos, benelli sbe, rigged out a 10' jon boat w/ 6hp motor, not big enough, bought 14 footer w/ 20hp mariner, built my own blind for it, camoed it, rigged lights and switches and compartments on it.....still want bigger...... we've had average success hunting since we we're both rookies without an experienced person to show us the ropes. we are essentially 100% self-taught, trial and error, learn from our own mistakes- hunters, which is good AND bad.

we mainly hunt lake granger since we both know the lake like the back of our hands. i used to fish the lake weekly as a kid, but i'm just figuring out the duck hunting holes out there to this very day. i just never paid attention to the ducks on the lake.....ever. we would really like to hunt other places, like stillhouse, belton, the colorado, or others in the area, but have no ideas on where to even start on those lakes. we make an annual trip to east texas and hunt jacksonville, fork, and/or stryker once a year.

we would be more than happy to take anyone out and hunt with/make new friends and show what we've found to be decent. wouldn't mind hunting with a true veteran to pick his brain and learn some different strategies. always willing to give a report on my hunts if anyone wants the info.

i've been reading and soaking all the info possible on this sight for a while now. i absolutely hate the guys who always think that when you ask for a scouting report, you're trying to steal their "super secret spot"!! we DO do some of our own scouting, but it's just impossible to find the time to scout like we would like!! my biggest pet pieve!! get over that crap!! i'm just trying to LEARN!! CAN I GET AN AMEN??? anyway, good to introduce myself and get to know some of you.
heatdabeat
hunter

Postby heatdabeat » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:14 pm

my best hunt so far..... taken off lake palestine

heatdabeat
hunter

Postby CCducker » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:15 am

:welcome: Hit me up if you head south our season has been incredible so far!
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby heatdabeat » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 am

thanks ducker....we're actually thinking about a trip down there the wknd after x-mas!! we were thinking about a getting a hotel room and staying a couple days. i guess we could hit up the cc area. we both have been dying to check out what coast hunting is all about. i can bring my boat and all my gear!! should have lots of new coys after x-mas!!
heatdabeat
hunter

New to the site....

Postby JustHunt... » Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:53 pm

Names; Jamie hunting Trinity Bay, Anahuac, and the North Conroe areas...
Shoot a 12GA Benelli Nova with recoil reducer 2 3/4" mags #2s and #4s run a 1448 with a 15 Johnny in the process of building a shorty tail right now for next season...
Have'nt got to even pull the trigger this season :no: due to the fact that I have been working in Kansas for the past year and thats where my truck is 2007 crew cab short wheel base 4x4 DirtyAx (Duramax) and my boat dont run to well on the asphalt and the wife did'nt find it the least bit ammusing when i told her i was going to tie it on top the family car....
((Anyone in my area up for some Huntin have a Helluva honey hole if the ducks are there like shootem in a pen :skeet: ))
Three things I look for in a shotgun
""BOOM"""BOOM"""BOOM""

Quoted from the Duck Commander...
JustHunt...
hunter

Hi

Postby J Loves Huntin » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:17 am

Hi,
I Jonathan. I am currently going to school in Dallas, but am originally from Burleson. Lookin forward to a great weekend of hunting. Goose, Duck and Dove. :thumbsup:
Jesus Saves!!!
Season 2010-2011
2 Specks
1 Dove
J Loves Huntin
hunter

Postby matt gorman20387 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:21 am

How are yall doin my name is matt i live in Burleson tx hunt up near decator. been duck hunting for 2 years now and I don't see how I've lived without it for so long.
matt gorman20387
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Texas Duck Hunting