Stripped screw holes in wood

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Stripped screw holes in wood

Postby StevenL » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:33 am

I have my own ideas but I'd like to hear from others about the subject.
I bought a used shotgun that has a full-length wooden stock. The hole for the sling swivel stud in the shotgun's butt is wallowed out and, needless to say, the original stud is gone.
How would I go about filling that hole to prepare it for installation of a new stud or would it be better to fill the bad spot and start a new spot slightly above or below?
Thanks in advance for all replies and ideas.
StevenL
hunter

Re: Stripped screw holes in wood

Postby fgdn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 am

you asked and answered you own question

let us know how it turns out

there is always the other option of using a longer screw in the existing hole if possible
fgdn
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:48 am

Never tried it on a sling swivel but for loose butt plate screw holes I usually try a few pieces of wooden tooth picks in the hole to snug it up. If its to wallered out I drill it and glue in a dowel to fill the hole and start over. One buddy of mine fills the hole with acra-glass dyed black and then mounts the stud into it. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:58 pm

I like the toothpick idea. Never tried it. Before you drill any new holes I would try it.

My method has been used many times. Pull of a small piece of steel wool off a pad and push it in the stripped hole. Then thread the stud back in. You will know of you put to much in if its too tight after the first couple turns. If it's too tight usea little less and try again. I have done this many times.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I like the toothpick idea. Never tried it. Before you drill any new holes I would try it.

My method has been used many times. Pull of a small piece of steel wool off a pad and push it in the stripped hole. Then thread the stud back in. You will know of you put to much in if its too tight after the first couple turns. If it's too tight usea little less and try again. I have done this many times.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Oops. Sorry about the double post.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Get yourself a piece of hardwood dowel rod ..... very slightly larger in OD than the wallowed out hole in the stock. Drill out the wallowed out hole with a drill bit the same size as the dowel and epoxy the dowel in the hole, with the grain of the dowel parallel to the grain of the stock. After the epoxy sets up, carefully trim the excess dowel from the surface of the stock, stain and drill with a proper sized drill bit for the sling screw stud. Screw the screw into the hole no more than necessary to bottom the head out on the stock. Unscrew the stud. Then, I will take some liquid superglue and squirt it into the hole, coat the sling swivel stud with a good gun oil and screw it into the hole. The superglue will be forced into the wood grain and harden it to hold the screw. Remove the screw immediately after fully seating it in the superglue treated wood, or it could set up permanently in place.

Be aware that there is good epoxy and not so good "epoxy". A lot of the stuff you buy at the hardware store in tubes is soft after setting up. Use Accraglas epoxy ... or a good boat builders epoxy resin .... not the stuff auto repair shops use ..... polyester resin or Accraglas gel.
tripleb
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:49 pm

tripleb wrote:Get yourself a piece of hardwood dowel rod ..... very slightly larger in OD than the wallowed out hole in the stock. Drill out the wallowed out hole with a drill bit the same size as the dowel and epoxy the dowel in the hole, with the grain of the dowel parallel to the grain of the stock. After the epoxy sets up, carefully trim the excess dowel from the surface of the stock, stain and drill with a proper sized drill bit for the sling screw stud. Screw the screw into the hole no more than necessary to bottom the head out on the stock. Unscrew the stud. Then, I will take some liquid superglue and squirt it into the hole, coat the sling swivel stud with a good gun oil and screw it into the hole. The superglue will be forced into the wood grain and harden it to hold the screw. Remove the screw immediately after fully seating it in the superglue treated wood, or it could set up permanently in place.

Be aware that there is good epoxy and not so good "epoxy". A lot of the stuff you buy at the hardware store in tubes is soft after setting up. Use Accraglas epoxy ... or a good boat builders epoxy resin .... not the stuff auto repair shops use ..... polyester resin or Accraglas gel.
x2 on what he said. The superglue to 'harden" the wood part is brilliant!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby edmund » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:23 am

I had a remy 1100 with the same problem, used a brown, plastic screw fix wall plug of the approprate size, glued in place. It couldn't be seen under the stud.
edmund
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:54 pm

clampdaddy wrote:Never tried it on a sling swivel but for loose butt plate screw holes I usually try a few pieces of wooden tooth picks in the hole to snug it up. If its to wallered out I drill it and glue in a dowel to fill the hole and start over. One buddy of mine fills the hole with acra-glass dyed black and then mounts the stud into it. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

x2
POKER1
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:45 am

Toothpicks work great, Been using them for many years on stripped out screws and have never has a failure. I add a bit of glue (now using gorilla glue but be careful as it expands) in the hole, break off a couple of tooth picks and then screw in the stud. You will not have to worry about it getting loose or falling out again.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:36 pm

My front door has seen many new door knobs/plates. Because of this, I had to use the toothpick trick, but because it's a door, and sees a lot of force on the parts, I added a bit of Gorilla Glue to the mix and have not had the problem at all.

Dowels are the better fix in the long run, just get 1/4 or 3/16 and drill out the old hole with 1/4 or 3/16 bit, add a bit of wood glue and pound it in.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby gunrunnerusmc03 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:35 pm

There are many ways to do this but the best way is to just drill out the hole and install a threaded insert ( if you can find the correct thread pitch). It will stronger than new.
gunrunnerusmc03
hunter

Postby StevenL » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:30 pm

Thanks for all the comments and ideas, guys. All the work in question was performed shortly after my first post. I'll post pictures as soon as my camera is repaired. I think there will be a surprise when you see the shotgun in question.
Thanks again for every response. You guys are GREAT.
StevenL
hunter

Postby mmayes » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:50 am

Why not fill the hole with Acroglass(sp) and then redrill the hole?

I have done that with synthetic stocs before and it was successful

Mayes
mmayes
hunter

Postby StevenL » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:45 pm

It's been a while since the original post but the new stud is in and the old hole was plugged. I used a piece of 1/4-inch diameter hardwood dowel, dressed the hole (crater was more like it) with a 17/64 drill, and cemented the plug in place with 1-1 mix of epoxy resin and hardener. Once the epoxy cured, I started sanding what was left of the protruding dowel and epoxy overflow. One thing led to another and I figured why not refinish the entire stock because it's mine and resale value doesn't matter to me. To that point the oil finish had yet to be applied but I'll post pics of the shotgun when it was fully assembled after that.
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
StevenL
hunter

Postby coupe1975 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 am

I've used wooden match sticks and wood glue. Drill the hole to clean it up. Soak match sticks in wood glue, fill hole about ¼ way full with glue. Insert wooden match sticks and pack as tightly as possible. Let dry and cut off end of sticks and sand smooth with stock. Redrill hole and install stud. Good as new.
coupe1975
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum