My newest mounts: muskrat and wood duck hen

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

My newest mounts: muskrat and wood duck hen

Postby JustinNH » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Trying to catch up on my taxidermy (freezer is a little full) so I decided to take care of my muskrat and to do part one of my wood duck mount.

The muskrat still needs some finish work. I created the base myself and did the tanning. The shine is the flash, not oils on the fur. Really nice fur. I could see it passing for mink if the guard hairs were not so long.

That was my second small mammal mount. First was the mink I posted a year and a half ago. :thumbsup:
SEP12 muskrat.jpg

The wood duck hen is the start to a mount of a pair of ducks. I will have a drake standing on the top of the knot hole. Wood duck drakes are supposed to be one of the hardest to mount, so I'll probably go through a bird or two practicing.

This is my third duck (well, actually 2.5 haha).

Unfortunately, after tearing a huge hole in my first one, I had to use this pin feathered one that didn't have much of a crest or white around the eye like they (and my first one) normally do. I could have waited but I wanted to get more practice fleshing so that I can do an oldsquaw next.
SEP12 wood duck hen.jpg

Thanks for checking them out !
JustinNH
State Moderator

Re: My newest mounts: muskrat and wood duck hen

Postby Cigarz » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:38 pm

Very nice work- looking forward to seeing the pair when completed:)
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 pm

That hen woody looks very much alive.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 am

Thank you both, as a beginner, that is always good to hear :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HeritageHunter » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:23 am

Looks good Justin!!!!
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby poor_duck » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:52 am

That is awesome. Good job Justin :thumbsup:
poor_duck
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:13 am

Thank you HH and Poor duck! :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rickbr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:23 am

Nice work Justin. Hopefully I'll have a couple of woodies for you to practice with this year.
rickbr
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Thanks, I have three pre-skinned ones with huge crests from last season. If I go through those then I will just give up. :lol3:

Divers are much easier to mount... thicker skin so it is harder to burn a hole through them with the fleshing wheel. Good thing (except for wood ducks) that I prefer drake divers' looks to other types of waterfowl
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 am

Thats awesome. The muskrat looks great but I don't know what the heck you'd do with a mounted muskrat. :lol3: To each their own though, it does look really cool and the base is nice too.

That woody does look very alive. It came out awesome, and I love the idea of her coming out of that knot with a drake nearby. reminds me of the ever-popular hen in the duck house, drake on the roof mount. I like it a lot.

I was hunting with my dad a few years ago and he shot a massive drake woodie, he said he'd like to save it for a mount, so a little while later, we had a hen come in. Knowing my dad was getting the drake done, I thought how cool it would be to have a pair from the same hunt so I folded the hen.
when it came back it was one of the worst mounts I've ever seen, the drake is so big, and the guy really butchered the hen so it looks like its the size of a small robin. The neck is thinner then a pencil :lol3: Not sure whatever even happened to that thing.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:Thats awesome. The muskrat looks great but I don't know what the heck you'd do with a mounted muskrat. :lol3: To each their own though, it does look really cool and the base is nice too.

Thanks! haha yeah, it is an odd one to have, but they are cool little animals. Plus, practice for future small mammals/furbearers. I'd eventually like to do this as a side business so I aim to practice on what I can. Thanks on the base. I through it together last minute at night, so I'm happy it came out somewhat decent :lol3:

That woody does look very alive. It came out awesome, and I love the idea of her coming out of that knot with a drake nearby. reminds me of the ever-popular hen in the duck house, drake on the roof mount. I like it a lot.

Thank you! Yes, it is similar and I saw examples of both. This one was smaller, so easier to convince my wife to let me hang in the living room

I was hunting with my dad a few years ago and he shot a massive drake woodie, he said he'd like to save it for a mount, so a little while later, we had a hen come in. Knowing my dad was getting the drake done, I thought how cool it would be to have a pair from the same hunt so I folded the hen.
when it came back it was one of the worst mounts I've ever seen, the drake is so big, and the guy really butchered the hen so it looks like its the size of a small robin. The neck is thinner then a pencil :lol3: Not sure whatever even happened to that thing.

Ah, thats too bad. I am sure it would have looked great. I would hate for someone to feel that way about one I did, so I plan on practicing as much as I can before I even do them for friends, nevermind new clients, etc.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby killnkyle » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:06 am

Hey Justin the mounts look awesome. You said you're a beginner, and my cousin does taxidermy for a living. If you ever need help with something just let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.
When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first.
Ernest Hemingway
killnkyle
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:58 am

killnkyle wrote:Hey Justin the mounts look awesome. You said you're a beginner, and my cousin does taxidermy for a living. If you ever need help with something just let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.

That's cool, thanks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting