Duck Hunting Forum banner

best goose u will ever eat.

17K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  gundog1 
#1 ·
this is the best way to cook a goose.
fully puck out a goose.
put bacon, whole onion, potatos, carrots inside the goose .
salt pepper the goose
put him on a cedar plank
put in the oven at 400F for 4 hours
that to goose out
throw the goose away and eat the board.
:lol:

#2 ·
That recipe is from MY great-grandparents day.

If you want to eat something edible...try slicing goose breasts into 1/4" thick slices.
Grill them 2 minutes on each side and eat. Will taste like steak and will be the best goose you ever ate.
If you insist on eating lumber...be my guest.

#3 ·
aunt betty said:
That recipe is from MY great-grandparents day.

If you want to eat something edible...try slicing goose breasts into 1/4" thick slices.
Grill them 2 minutes on each side and eat. Will taste like steak and will be the best goose you ever ate.
If you insist on eating lumber...be my guest.
Eating lumber sounds better that your recipe.

#4 ·
Try it. You will be shocked. I was. I took a couple buddies duck hunting and we shot two geese. There were some younger hunters hanging around wanting to drink by our fire so we let them in.

They suggested cooking the geese the way I described. Considering how little work it takes...is really good. Soaking the pieces in teriaki sauce is even better.
Duck is really good grilled in this way too.

I tried roasting geese and it's greasy. (yeah, throw away the bird, board, and all)

Tried smoking them too and it's pretty good if you let the meat cool and then slice it like beef for sandwiches but if you try eating it hot...sucks.

Tried eating geese lots of ways and to slice 'em thin and grill is the way I prefer.

If you want to eat wood. Treated or untreated?

#5 ·
aunt betty said:
Try it. You will be shocked. I was. I took a couple buddies duck hunting and we shot two geese. There were some younger hunters hanging around wanting to drink by our fire so we let them in.

They suggested cooking the geese the way I described. Considering how little work it takes...is really good. Soaking the pieces in teriaki sauce is even better.
Duck is really good grilled in this way too.

I tried roasting geese and it's greasy. (yeah, throw away the bird, board, and all)

Tried smoking them too and it's pretty good if you let the meat cool and then slice it like beef for sandwiches but if you try eating it hot...sucks.

Tried eating geese lots of ways and to slice 'em thin and grill is the way I prefer.

If you want to eat wood. Treated or untreated?
Every way I've ever tried cooking geese they have not tasted good, always a gamey taste to them. All my geese go to jerky or sausage its the only I've found them to taste good. I just save all my ducks for the frying pan or grill, much better tasting.

I prefer untreated pine, the sap seems to give it alot of extra taste. :huh: :lol3:

#10 ·
deep fried with a wild berry jam is where its at. the crispy skin is killer. next would have to be goose prosucto (spelling?) confit is also great and braising to make pulled goose pasta aint bad either... its obnoxious seeing people killing these taste birds and throwing em out. to each their own. i just dont find the humor in it. let em pass if your not gonna eat em

#12 ·
i like liver so i can eat merganser no problem too. ill only shoot them when its slow and the dog has the itch but most times dont shoot them. i soak merganser in either oj or butter milk and cook as i would liver... saute onions , flour the meat then cook it to medium and finish with balsamic reduction and precooked bacon

#13 ·
daffy... said:
deep fried with a wild berry jam is where its at. the crispy skin is killer. next would have to be goose prosucto (spelling?) confit is also great and braising to make pulled goose pasta aint bad either... its obnoxious seeing people killing these taste birds and throwing em out. to each their own. i just dont find the humor in it. let em pass if your not gonna eat em
I don't post often because of the sort of uninformed comments made by hunters who are either poor cooks or... the other option is too personal to put on this forum. It uses the word "disrespect."
In my view daffy's observation is right on. Waterfowl are as good and mostly better than any red meat you'll find in any restaurant. Not utilizing all of it is throwing away not good but great eating. daffy, I like your style! :thumbsup:
P.S. Merganser is fine the way you suggest. If you really love to eat waterfowl, try Surf Scoter. If you like it, you've achieved journey trencherman status, and not in the archaic way.

#15 ·
Ive had goose fried rolled in egg and bread crumbs thats good. Slice real thin. I also have had goose chessteaks where you basically take goose breast slice it very very thin with the eat slicer and brown up your onions then throw the goose in then cook ntil done and at the very end throw sum coopers cheese on top to melt. Ive had goose meatballs... ( nixed with some beef tho) but was awesome. I have had pulled BBQ goose sandwiches... ( they were awesome). Ive had grilled goose. My greandmom gave me hr london broil marinade recipe and it turns out great. Ive also had goose hamburgers.. .yezs :) lol. Crock pot goose ( ewww) and oven baked goose ( eww). Hands down... thee best way to make goose is take the breast slice it into small cubes. Then take bacon and wrap the chunks then stick a toothpick in them and the grill them. When cooking goose do not overcook it ... the key is to have it sligthly undercooked and it can be so goood. I also love slicing them in 1/4" pieces and breading and frying. Its so good! And i love hunting geese, nothing like laying in your layout blidn and having geese cupped up 10 yds away from you its awesome. Plus the duck hunting around here is bogus. :( But NO goose... beats a wooducks or a teal!!

#16 ·
faaisal said:
Are you a fan of Buffalo Wild Wings? If so, you might be interested in learning a bit more about some recipes for some of the restaurant chain's more popular menu items.You can able to make From classic buffalo wings to elaborate sauces, including Parmesan garlic, Blazin' Hot and Asian Zing.
Do they serve goose wings at BWW yet?
WEIRDEST POST ONE....EVER!

#18 ·
if you aint grilln em like a steak u aint eatin em right!cut breast in filet mignon size chunks,wrap in bacon then season with montreal steak seasoning,grill to medium/medium rare,enjoy your fly mignon!absolutly as good as ribeye.awsome!another awsome receipe for duck as well.also try a plucked duck on a rotteserie(i have a table top electric one)with a dry rub it is awsome as well.

#19 ·
william costa said:
if you aint grilln em like a steak u aint eatin em right!cut breast in filet mignon size chunks,wrap in bacon then season with montreal steak seasoning,grill to medium/medium rare,enjoy your fly mignon!absolutly as good as ribeye.awsome!.
You must have some messed up taste buds. Comapring a ribeye to a goose. :fingerpt: :huh:

#22 ·
I dont know if anyone would want to try this, but what I do is make Goose Pot Stickers.

We soak the goose breast in a brine solution for 36 hrs. Then we rinse them off and soak it in a Teriyaki marinade for 24 hours. Once that is done, we grind up the meat and mix it with garlic, water chestnut, green onions, and wrap it in pot sticker wrappers. You can either steam them or fry them and they tasted fine to me.

#23 ·
wow some of you guys realy dont like canadas :lol3: i have never had one that taste bad or greasy... must be the way you guys are cooking them :rolleyes:

#26 ·
fillet the breast open em up put apple and orange slices and jalapenos wrap in bacon bake throw out in inners and bacon sprinkle with parmision cheese slice into bite size pieces yum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.