Louisiana to Colorado...trying to get on some birds!

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Louisiana to Colorado...trying to get on some birds!

Postby TakeEm84 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:23 pm

Hey, any tips on hunting public land up here in Northeastern Colorado. I'm from South Louisiana, and down there we are hunting out of blinds in the swamps and flooded timber, that is almost always private property, very little public land to hunt down there. Now living in Boulder and would like to get on some birds. I'm guessing layout blinds are a necessity up here? How big of spreads are y'all using? And what areas at what times of the year are y'all seeing birds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
TakeEm84
Newb

Re: Louisiana to Colorado...trying to get on some birds!

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

TakeEm84 wrote:Hey, any tips on hunting public land up here in Northeastern Colorado. I'm from South Louisiana, and down there we are hunting out of blinds in the swamps and flooded timber, that is almost always private property, very little public land to hunt down there. Now living in Boulder and would like to get on some birds. I'm guessing layout blinds are a necessity up here? How big of spreads are y'all using? And what areas at what times of the year are y'all seeing birds? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mostly layout blinds and pits. Northern Colorado is loaded with geese, If your in the right place. Although we won't be seeing any big numbers untill the snow hits. Same goes for ducks. Off course there's allways locals around as well. In the early season, we typically use 1-2 dozen full body goose decoys. Then by the end of the season we are near 10 or so dozen.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Louisiana to Colorado...trying to get on some birds!

Postby mattgflco » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

I moved out here from FL about 2 years ago. Last season was my first duck season.. Def different than hunting in the south. Also everyplace i went you didnt need a layout blind. I am sure they could be helpful in some places but not necessary at all on the public SWA's i hunted...

Scout. Go out and scout the areas you are looking at before showing up to hunt. Also if reservations are NOT required, then get there early. Also dont be afraid to call out some other hunters that show up and try to get on your spot. There are some real idiots out there regarding courtesy to other folks...

All i used last year was anywhere from 1-1.5 doz decoys and did just fine. I got a nice mixed bag on different public SWA's; teal, mallards, gadwalls, wood ducks, red heads...

Also hunt in the week anytime you can. Also learn about the fields and rivers. I didnt get into them last year, just pond hunting, but this year will focus more efforts on learning to hunt rivers and fields late season.
mattgflco
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting