shipping to ak

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

shipping to ak

Postby foggyhunt » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:10 pm

I'm thinking of getting a boat blind kit from Cabela's but leave it to UPS and their obsurd contracts I would have to pay $96.00 to have it shipped up here. I've always said what the hell is the difference in shipping a pkg from NY to CA as to the Midwest to AK? I'm not seeing a huge difference in air miles.

Without the blind, at least my boat will be entirely camo'd with spray paint and stencils and the outer camo clad but there is nothing like being cozy during duck hunting season in a real blind with marsh grass mats. Would you guys pay 95 bucks? I can't afford to buy one from sportsman's whse as I don't have a credit card. I use the easy pay plans from cabela's so I can pay it off in 6 month installments with my visa check card. i.e. cash

I'm sure some of you guys do hunt from a boat without this kind of concealment and I could always beach the boat and set up my material blind 100 or so yds away but Much rather sit in the boat I guess. I also thought of just buying some of that material but either I go with the boat blind or I buy nothing
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:03 am

I guess it just comes down to how bad do you want it. To be out of the elements, i'd pay it.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby foggyhunt » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:21 pm

if I were able to hunt where cattails are and tules I would have no problem. wouldn't need to make the purchase but hunting the Kenai and skilak, there isn't much cover. plus, if no blind the dog or myself could spook incoming birds if I don't see them. I'd feel aweful stupid sitting in a boat at the edge of the water in open view.
Last edited by foggyhunt on Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:11 am

Foggy, nearly all of UPS state side shipping is still by truck so it is cheaper. They fly everything up here so they will always charge more for less service. There are always consequences for living at the end of the earth.

You have a jon style boat so save the money and make your own blind frame with condiut (EMT) and then drape it in camo cloth. You will come out way ahead. Next year if you don't like it you can get the fancy pants blind.

You can make a scissor type blind frame that pops up and down or you can make a rigid frame with doors.

Here is a good link with some of the best drawings I have seen on the subject of homemade boat blinds.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopi ... ight=blind
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=7979&highlight=blind
AK Ray
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:03 pm

geez, looks like you don't miss a thing. thank you sir
"Blend in or go hungry"

foggyhunt
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting