Flute or Short reed for Canadas

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Flute or Short reed for Canadas

Postby agd68 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:33 am

Hey All
I'm mostly a duck hunter but budding out into geese. What is the difference between the short reed and the flute calls ? Which is better ? Which is easier to use ?
agd68
hunter

Re: Flute or Short reed for Canadas

Postby cknapp37 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:49 am

flutes are generally easier to run but the sky is the limit with short reeds. They will give you the ability to mimic the whole range of goose sounds. Go with a short reed if you are willing to put in the time to become proficient.
cknapp37
Newb

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:52 pm

cknapp37 wrote:flutes are generally easier to run but the sky is the limit with short reeds. They will give you the ability to mimic the whole range of goose sounds. Go with a short reed if you are willing to put in the time to become proficient.

X2
Anything is possible with a short reed. Flute are rather limited.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:29 am

shootable Goose wrote:
cknapp37 wrote:flutes are generally easier to run but the sky is the limit with short reeds. They will give you the ability to mimic the whole range of goose sounds. Go with a short reed if you are willing to put in the time to become proficient.

X2

Most flutes maybe, but there are some that can do everything a short reed can
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby tripleb » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:

X2

The flute that Trevor is making ...... eventually :lol3: .... is one of the few that I would even consider. The only reasons I haven't sprung for one is that I've had air volume issues with earlier flutes I've used and I've not tried Trevor's to see if it's as easy to run as a short reed. It sounds darn good, though.

Trevor: If you have a link to the video demonstrating your flute, post it up for reference. I couldn't find it.
tripleb
hunter

Postby tripleb » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 am

tripleb
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:16 am

Both will call in geese , but the short reed is the best in my opion. Thats if you put in time to learn it.But once you get the hang of it youll never go back to a flute..I took mine every day fishing in the summer and it drove my dad nuts, but now he is happy cause im the only one in my group that uses a short reed.It takes some time but youll get the hang of it..I started off with a cheap short reed and once i got the hang of it i moved up to a expensive one..Start cheap and move up, thats just my two cents..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:20 pm

When I started goose hunting flutes were the norm. That is what I learned on and my old flute has killed lots of geese. The birds still seem to like my old flute with my limited abilities. I have seen guys learn to make good sounds on a flute in less than an hour. Short reeds seem to take guys a lot longer. Some guys never master either style of call.

You can buy a HS short reed for $6.00 or a Grounds poly super mag for $30.00 at Wing Supply. At this point in time you don't have a whole summer to learn to blow a short reed. I like Big River Long Honker flute calls. They are made by Flambeau now. I don't think they are always tuned the best coming out of the shop now days. However, they are easy to tune and instruction are on the package. If you can find a copy of Mick Lacey's instructional cassette tape you could be making good sounds in a short time . I don't know who has the best price on flutes right now. The Long Honker is an easy call to learn to blow.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby WoodDuck21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:

X2

Where does the Field Proven AFtershock fall in this spectrum? Dont call or really see a TON of canadians and would care to spend the majority of time calling specks and ducks anyway, but would like something that is farily easy to blow and goosey, that sounds realistic when the opportunity a rises. I do have a Goozilla, and can get some OK sounds from it, but find myself "looking" for the correct hand placemnt far to often to get the sounds im looking for. Input appreciated. :biggrin:
WoodDuck21
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:06 pm

"Where does the Field Proven AFtershock fall in this spectrum? "

Short reed.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

noweil wrote:"Where does the Field Proven AFtershock fall in this spectrum? "

Short reed.

X2
Although I have heard that the aftershock is one of the easiest calls to learn on when switching form flute to short read. It can be operated closed handed.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby tripleb » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 am

WoodDuck21 wrote:
Trevor Shannahan wrote:
shootable Goose wrote:

X2

Where does the Field Proven AFtershock fall in this spectrum? Dont call or really see a TON of canadians and would care to spend the majority of time calling specks and ducks anyway, but would like something that is farily easy to blow and goosey, that sounds realistic when the opportunity a rises. I do have a Goozilla, and can get some OK sounds from it, but find myself "looking" for the correct hand placemnt far to often to get the sounds im looking for. Input appreciated. :biggrin:

The only real solution to that problem is building muscle memory, so you can pick up the call in the dark and put your hands where they need to be to make the notes you want to make ..... and the same applies to the operation of your tongue and air pressure. Pick up the call, look where your hands are located, blow a note or two, put down the call, then pick up the call and try to blow the same note(s) ..... over and over again, several times a day, over the space of several weeks (months). And .... even if you don't make the exact note you want, you will be able to immediately switch your hand position, air presentation, etc. to correct that.

BTW, Trevor Shannahan has a youtube video where he test runs a Field Proven poly Rapter. It's only $30. You might take a look at that one, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYrMthg0AUs
tripleb
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum