Looking for help

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: Duck Runner, gotduck68415, k9horseluvr

Looking for help

Postby jaker » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:15 am

hello,

I'm looking to make my first trip to nebraska and am looking for a little help. Let me preface this by saying, I am not looking for specific information, and don't expect to recieve any. I am a broke young man who lives to duck hunt and luckily am able to hunt about 55 days a season. I have been goin to arkansas, kansas, and missouri for years, and am looking to expand further north. My plan at this point is for myself and three of my friends to leave out the first weekend in november and hunt for 5 days, then return. I have kansas down pat, but from my experience it is often slow and overcrowded this time of year. So, I am trying to educate myself on nebraska to have options when the time comes.

thus far, I have been mainly looking at the rainwater basin and the platte river areas. we are driving from georgia, so the more south or east the better. I have printed off information/maps/etc. on nearly all the public land I can find in these areas of the state. We will be bringing a small jon boat and motor strapped to the top of the vehicle, to allow hunting on some of the bigger reservoirs if needed. We should be set up to field hunt as well.

I guess my main questions are this, what is the water looking like out there? I've read that the rainfall has a huge impact on the quality of hunting. How is the hunting typically this time of year? Are there any other general areas I should be looking at?

Thanks for the responses, feel free to pm me if I can offer any help about states to the south of yall.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Re: Looking for help

Postby husker_hunter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:54 pm

Bad year to try and come to nebraska some say worst drought since the dirty 30's :sad:

if you can find water this year you will have birds thats the flip side of things
husker_hunter
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:44 am

You can check up the water conditions in the basin. Not looking good. The Platte is pretty dry too.

Fall Water Conditions as 9/24/2012:

East Areas
West Areas

Smith WPA: fair
Cottonwood WPA: poor

Mojer WPA: fair
Linder WPA: poor

Green Acres WPA: fair
Funk WPA: poor

Kenesaw WPA: poor
sharris
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm

preciate the response fellas, really just trying to keep my options open and do as much research as possible before hand. As you all know, there is no way to predict what will happen between now and then, or where the birds will be, so I'm trying to not limit myself to one general area.
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby jaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:44 pm

also how bad are the crowds out there in general? I know it varies, and with limited water it will crowd more people into less area, just curious how the pressur compares. Do you think it would compare to kansas? real crowded opening day, but not to bad after that away from bigger cities? Or is it pretty crowded everywhere?
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Postby YouMadBra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 pm

It really depends on if the birds are here or not. The non-die hard duck hunters will go out the first couple weekends then it will back off when deer and pheasent season opens up. But the guys that hunt mostly ducks will be out scouting and will know when the birds are here. So It just all depends on if the birds are here or not is what dictates the crowds.
TD Outfitters
Central, NE

Why cant it be Waterfowl season all year long?!!
YouMadBra
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting