Seeing any birds??

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Seeing any birds??

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Anyone seeing birds starting to show? I have been out of state for work the past couple weeks. Plan to get out this weekend to see what is out. Also have a friend whose son we may take out for jr day. Before I left the mergs migrated in in force. Ducks are usuauly 2-4 weeks behind them. songbirds were pouring through too. makes passing time sitting in the deer stand easier with something to look at. New geese and teal were starting to show. Will finish dressing the old blind this weekend. Dug a new pit blind last time out. This way if the wind shifts I can simply move 50yds to the other side of the pond. Looking forward to opener. May be warm but the mornings are in the 20's along the river so hunt a few hours at least. Then maybe fish for a few hours. did read a birders report that more waterfowl are showing every week at warm springs so they are slowly trickleling in.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Re: Seeing any birds??

Postby Bulldog0156 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Dude it's september. The only birds migrating right now are the snowbirds from the midwest down to AZ or FL
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Dude it's september. The only birds migrating right now are the snowbirds from the midwest down to AZ or FL

Mid-late sept can see a big push of birds in some areas. In fact in some areas in the mountain west, this is the largest mass of birds that visit some areas all season. I suspect they are more localized inter-mountain birds grouping up and not birds from Canada or further north, but it also wouldn't surprise me if some mallards do trickle down early. But I have hunted flocks of 10,000+ mallards on opening day. The trick is finding them..but they are there in some areas.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:Dude it's september. The only birds migrating right now are the snowbirds from the midwest down to AZ or FL

The main snowbird migration is still a month away. My parents live in AZ so always dread the snowbird migration. I always joke I know it is elk rifle opener when every other rig on I-15 heading south is from alberta. Also the wall mart parking lot is filled each night with motorhomes.

As for waterfowl, we had hundreds if not thousands of geese come through the valley a couple weeks ago. One week nothing, the next on our way to town, saw some sandhills then the cut wheat fields had never ending geese taking off from them. hope they are still around and not early migrators on their way to UT or AZ (or even Mexico) Have been having new mallards every week showing up. My place has two groups of ducklings still waiting to fly this year. But new mallards are showing. Even odd things like coots. last weekend in august maybe 1000 on main pond at warm springs, next weekend up to 10,000 out there. Always a good sign birds are starting to migrate.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 am

I do not know about west of the divide, but east has lots of birds. I spent Sunday at Freezeout and the place is holding more Canada geese than usual, and the ducks are everywhere. Many of the fields on the way up that morning from Vaughn to the Lake held both ducks and geese in big numbers feeding. A few of the fields up on Bole Bench held huge numbers of ducks. I also visited with a biologist from Benton and they are banding lots of teal just like last year.
I am taking a Jr out for a morning teal shoot this coming Saturday and it should be lots of fun to watch him heat up the bbl.
Good Luck and Safe Hunting.
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby Bulldog0156 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:13 am

Deer Lodge Josh wrote:
Bulldog0156 wrote:Dude it's september. The only birds migrating right now are the snowbirds from the midwest down to AZ or FL

The main snowbird migration is still a month away. My parents live in AZ so always dread the snowbird migration. I always joke I know it is elk rifle opener when every other rig on I-15 heading south is from alberta. Also the wall mart parking lot is filled each night with motorhomes.

As for waterfowl, we had hundreds if not thousands of geese come through the valley a couple weeks ago. One week nothing, the next on our way to town, saw some sandhills then the cut wheat fields had never ending geese taking off from them. hope they are still around and not early migrators on their way to UT or AZ (or even Mexico) Have been having new mallards every week showing up. My place has two groups of ducklings still waiting to fly this year. But new mallards are showing. Even odd things like coots. last weekend in august maybe 1000 on main pond at warm springs, next weekend up to 10,000 out there. Always a good sign birds are starting to migrate.

Yeah just trying to bust your balls a little :beer: I haven't noticed new birds, but there sure a lot of locals this year.
Bulldog0156
hunter

Postby jberg440 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23 am

Watched 2 wood ducks land in a pond 30yds from my deer stand if that counts?
The man banging on the door kept yelling "Alcohol, Tobbaco, and Firearms!" I just assumed it was more supplies.
jberg440
hunter

Postby gunsnrods » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:12 pm

seems to be a fair amount of locals ducks around. The geese just left in the last two weeks though. Have maybe a quarter of what we had but im guessing it will still be a good opener. I was juss scouting my spot this evening.
gunsnrods
hunter

Postby Deer Lodge Josh » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:46 pm

Was out this weekend. To my surprise at sunset big flights of ducks. Mallards, teal, wigeon. Saw well over 500 ducks fly by at sunset. Had teal and mallards landing along the river while fishing during the day. Good numbers of geese also. Looking forward to saturday morning. With other hunters out, it will keep the birds moving. Also saw wood ducks and misc diver ducks around. With no one hunting yet, many of the birds (manly geese) were flyin low. Hope they stay stupid and fly low all day saturday. Or if they get sky busted elsewhere they find my little place a place they want to land. Put the finishing touches on the blinds and hauled decoys out ready to set up saturday morning.
Deer Lodge Josh
hunter

Postby TopWop » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 pm

I just had an eye exam, so I know I can see
fairly well. What I don't see are any waterfowl
in the Gallatin Valley to speak of. A few geese here
and there that's about it.
TopWop
hunter

Postby pmarauder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 pm

Is it possible to even see birds through all of the smoke?
pmarauder
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting