Mallard question????

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Mallard question????

Postby redbull173 » Wed Nov 24, 2004 12:21 am

Me and my dad have been trying just to shoot green head mallards and normally we end up with a hen mallard... and my question is do the green heads always fly higher then the hen...

thanks kyle
Kyle Taylor
redbull173
hunter

Postby NESoDak » Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:32 am

I can't say the drakes fly higher than the hen, but as often as not the drakes will fly BEHIND the hen. In a flock of ducks the old lady of the crowd is the boss, a hen will lead the migration, etc ... For ducks, it is a woman's world. I suspect you are shooting the lead bird more often than not, I have done the same myself.
"If you don't think too good ... Don't think too much." Ted Williams
NESoDak
hunter

ducks

Postby tuckhunter » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:26 am

if you really wonts some duck go to a pond u have hunter early in the season make sure it if froozen then break the ice u will have so many ducks in you wont ask that question again
tuckhunter
hunter

Postby Remmag » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 pm

R u People serious. The hen is usually first?? come on I've had 6 or 7 drakes land before a hen . Just look for the greenhead and kill it. or just shoot hens it doesn't matter they let you take 4 mallards.
Remmag
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:17 pm

NESoDak wrote:I can't say the drakes fly higher than the hen, but as often as not the drakes will fly BEHIND the hen. In a flock of ducks the old lady of the crowd is the boss, a hen will lead the migration, etc ... For ducks, it is a woman's world. I suspect you are shooting the lead bird more often than not, I have done the same myself.

I am going with NESoDak, Drakes do land first sometimes, but about 75% of time, I would say the lead birds I have shoot or seen have been hens.
mccree79
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:48 pm

I know it can be hard to do, especially at low light or if the sun is in your face, but you should really try and identify the greenheads from the susies. Works for me.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:33 pm

Normally hens do lead the flock, but I have noticed they tend to be more skeptical of a decoys spread than the drakes.

If you aren't sure which duck is a hen and which is a drake try to get them to land. Once you've picked out the drakes stand up and flush them. That works really well when it is early and there isn't much light.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:59 am

I agree with Yeller.... A lot of the time the hens lead the group. 9 times out of 10 if I can convince the hen to light... then the rest of them will light as well. This can also go in reverse order... I hate it when a hen flares!!! If she has other ducks with her they almost always follow her out of the hole. :hammering:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting