Duck Hunting Aventures in CT

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

Duck Hunting Aventures in CT

Postby BKOliver » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:51 pm

Hello,

I have just moved to the Redding, CT area and am looking for places to hunt waterfowl (ducks, geese). I have a 2 yr old chocolate lab that I have trained from a pup, he feels that it is important that I find him activities to do! I also have a dozen magnum G&H deeks and a robo duck to futher the chances that he will get to do what he loves (me too). If anyone feels it in their heart to give me some much needed info, feel free to share.

Thanks
BKOliver
Newb

Postby Admin2 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:07 pm

:welcome: to DHC :thumbsup:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:28 am

Hi BK.....welcome to our little piece o' the internet!!!!

The CT forum needs you and your input.......we have a few hardy members that keep active on-line with us, especially during the season.

I live in Maine now, but grew up in Wethersfield and was a guide for about a decade in CT.....and still get down there a few times every season either for Canadas or sometimes on the CT River for ducks. Never really hunted in the Redding area, but we have a couple other fellows here that know that area pretty well. My exposure in the SW of CT was limited to the shore, but I always get back to Wheeler for the extended goose season come Feb.

Again, welcome.......and keep up with the rest of the NE, especially the Maine forum!

D-
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MrCamoClad » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm

Welcome - In my eyes - CT is a little difficult to hunt Waterfowl. Because of the limited number of public hunting areas the "good" ones get alot of pressure - especially the walk in ones.

Your best bet is to do ALOT of scouting.
If you can find a private area you are golden if not...then take a look at the hunting guide and find some local hunting areas and take a drive to check them out.

If you have a boat - a nice boat ride on the CT river will reward you with spots to hunt....you just have to get there MIGHTY early to get "your" spot....and dont be suprised if you do get "your" spot that another hunter will set up 101 yards away from you.

Keep in touch during the year.......
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Thanks for the input

Postby BKOliver » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:22 pm

I appreciate the info! I have dealt with alot of the same issues in Oklahoma, as far as crowdedness and finding places to hunt. I do have a boat and look forward to scouting some of these areas. I have been looking and saw that the Housatonic ?sp? offers some back water areas to hunt. Are these good areas or overcrowded? I also see alot of flooded timber around. Are you allowed to hunt these or not? Back in OK the areas of flooded timber are good areas. Are they here in CT ? :salude:
BKOliver
Newb

Postby MrCamoClad » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:08 pm

Unfortunetly I dont know anything about hunting locations west of the CT River - As far as flooded timber being legal to hunt - it all depends on if its private or state. If its state land - hunting premitted - then of course - yes provided you have the proper distance from Road - Buildings etc....if its private....you better ask !!!!

As far as if Flooded Timber is a good area to hunt ??? - Yes - especially for Woodies. If these areas are still flooded in early season - you should be able to find Woodies in there.

Once the 2nd season begins and the mallards & black start coming down...any area that has little pressure and looks ducky will provide adeqate action.

With you having a boat....nows the time I say "He Honey - want to go for a nice boat ride on the River" ?? While she is enjoying the sun and reading her book and sipping on a cocktail - I am looking around like a peeping tom with my Binos for ducky hunting legal spots.

Keep in touch during the year - maybe we can meet up ??
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Major Woods » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:02 am

The only place I hunt West of the CT river is the Norwalk Islands. Bring plenty of shells, lots of ducks down there.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby Woodsman » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm

Closest I have ever hunted to Redding is the Quinnipiac River Marsh. It is huge and has alot of variety. It is also quite a ride from Redding.

I found alot of info on the DEP's website, including downloadable maps of legal state areas. I printed and laminated some that I use alot.

If you see an area that is not private and meets the regs for distance and shooting in a safe direction by all means hunt it.

Good Luck
Woodsman
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting