my SBE 1

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

my SBE 1

Postby geordie tom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:33 am

Hello. I live in the north east of England i have been wildfowling over 20 years. I have owned an SBE 1 for 7 years this gun has failed me quite often, i have to keep it very clean, to stand a chance of getting through a trip out without it failing me.
I fitted a new spring at the back last winter and the gun worked very well after that.
When i went shooting on Saturday the geese had arrived and during this flight, the SBE let me down, i was trying to get it to shoot but it would not shut the bolt properly.
I wiped some water off the front of the bolt and moved the bolt back and forth fast like, and then the gun felt like it was shutting stronger. it worked for 5 shots then it stuck again.
I do like this gun it shoots good but this sticking, is making me just not trust it any more. It has not been shot that much in its life i got it new and it as all the time stooped shutting properly but not as much as now its beginning to make me want to have it sold.
The gun has a new spring and is kept very clean all the time, but the slightest trace of dirt or water it stops working. I don't oil this gun very much just a light smear of 3 in 1 is all i put on it. What can i do to this gun to make it work properly.
geordie tom
hunter

Re: my SBE 1

Postby Park Duck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 am

keep it wet in oil(clp) :thumbsup:
Park Duck
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Thank you will oil it a lot, any oil type preferred for the make of gun.?
geordie tom
hunter

Postby Morgan87 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:01 pm

CLP is a great brand of lube. They carry it in most walmarts for around $3 a can!!!
Morgan87
hunter

Postby T Man » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:28 am

The 3 in 1 may be your problem. If I remember right, it is a little heavier weight, which in the cold can slow down actions, and it is sticky, which means it will hold dirt. Like previously stated, keep it wet with CLP and you should be in good shape. Out of curiosity, what brand spring did you put in?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby geordie tom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 am

A normal spring from Benelli i got it from york guns.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:09 am

You need a wolf +25% spring
Park Duck
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:17 pm

I will try and get a one then. thank ya.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:18 pm

geordie tom wrote:Hello. I live in the north east of England i have been wildfowling over 20 years. I have owned an SBE 1 for 7 years this gun has failed me quite often, i have to keep it very clean, to stand a chance of getting through a trip out without it failing me.
I fitted a new spring at the back last winter and the gun worked very well after that.
When i went shooting on Saturday the geese had arrived and during this flight, the SBE let me down, i was trying to get it to shoot but it would not shut the bolt properly.
I wiped some water off the front of the bolt and moved the bolt back and forth fast like, and then the gun felt like it was shutting stronger. it worked for 5 shots then it stuck again.
I do like this gun it shoots good but this sticking, is making me just not trust it any more. It has not been shot that much in its life i got it new and it as all the time stooped shutting properly but not as much as now its beginning to make me want to have it sold.
The gun has a new spring and is kept very clean all the time, but the slightest trace of dirt or water it stops working. I don't oil this gun very much just a light smear of 3 in 1 is all i put on it. What can i do to this gun to make it work properly.

That seams to be the norm for benelli. There quality is tanking in a hurry. My brother had a sbe2 for about 2 months and it jammed or wouldnt close all the way 5 or 6 times everytime we went out. Benelli wouldnt do much to fix the problem so he took the hit and traded it for a sx3. It is a whole lot better shooting gun. I dont want to be a smart @$$ but I would cut your loses and try a different gun.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:59 pm

I hear you. And know what you say is true, i experience it too often not to see the problem. :huh: Plain fact is i have limited funds and buying another complete gun is out of my reach. I like the gun but it is annoying having to think for it and nurse it through a session. In the heat of activity it takes my brother to point out how it sticks to me afterwards, i am so used to pushing it shut i sometimes don't remember doing it now he hates the gun, but i shoot it well its light has good points shame i cant say its reliable. Hope the wolf spring solves the problems for me.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby flyndutchman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:32 am

Check the rotary bolt locking lugs and make sure there isn't a burr forming on the surface where it needs to rotate into the barrel recess. I had to stone a burr off on mine after about 100 rounds when it was newer. Not a problem since and it has never falied to load another round except with very light skeet loads that I shouldn't have been shooting through it anyway.
flyndutchman
hunter

Postby Netstar1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 am

Park Duck wrote:You need a wolf +25% spring

+1 Wolf.
Netstar1
hunter

Postby Pappy84 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 am

geordie, a few things to think about. The original SBE1s came coated with something like cosmolene and need torn down and cleaned. A very light lube is then needed to help them run. I have then used G96 gun lube which has worked very well. The SBE1s also have a steel action tube that can rust and cause problems. Rather than get the wolf spring that is aslo steel and may rust, look into a Sure Cycle action tube. The tube is stainless as is the spring and follower, can be run dry and will not rust or pick up alot of crud. The Sure Cycle has worked for me over the past 15 years with no problems and we shoot a bunch of birds under all conditions.

Just a FYI from a fellow SBE owner.
Friends don't make promises they can't keep.
Pappy84
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 am

geordie tom wrote:Thank you will oil it a lot, any oil type preferred for the make of gun.?

CLP is BreakFree

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... hlhkz8ui_b

CLP is used by the US Military on AR type rifles M16 M4 and many other rifles.

I use it on all my Auto shotguns (my Benelli SBE I loves it) and my AR15's and AR10's. Run them wet with BreakFree and then wipe them down when you get done shooting and apply a little more. CLP stands for Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant. It works and it works well. My guns don't rust when they get wet duck hunting, they run well and it is easy to clean any buildup or burnt powder from the action and bolt with just the use of a clean rag.
StoneTower
hunter

Postby geordie tom » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:21 pm

After a lot of emails i did get a hold of a wolf spring from a dealer in Liege France. I cost a lot of money at 18 euros but this did include delivery. So i can accept that. I fitted the spring and the gun worked fine for 20+ shots, i had one jam but that was caused by me, not pulling the gun in to my shoulder firm enough, the gun seems a lot improved now with this spring.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm

One of the guys on a turkey forum whom is a gun nut and a chemist highly recommends a new product dubbed "weapon shield" claiming it is superior to all other gun lubes.. I will be trying it once my CLP is gone.
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby T Man » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:40 pm

geordie tom wrote:After a lot of emails i did get a hold of a wolf spring from a dealer in Liege France. I cost a lot of money at 18 euros but this did include delivery. So i can accept that. I fitted the spring and the gun worked fine for 20+ shots, i had one jam but that was caused by me, not pulling the gun in to my shoulder firm enough, the gun seems a lot improved now with this spring.

Glad you got it figured out. The sure cycle system is the ultimate answer to the question as it takes out the most common failure point. However, the wolf spring costs 20 dollars, the sure cycle runs 150 last I checked. (USD)
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby geordie tom » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm

The shotgun is working as it should now, i do believe it is cycling stronger now than when the gun was new. And shoots light field loads with not a problem. Thank you all for advice i do like this gun and i can not afford the money to replace it and now i do not need to.
geordie tom
hunter

Postby Griffin4590 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:48 pm

+2 on the wolf spring. SBE I is gods gift to waterfowling. Likes a lot of lube and always always slam the bolt, DONT close it slowly with your hand. If you open the bolt for whatever reason you MUST lock it to the rear and slam it close.
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm

Griffin4590 wrote:+2 on the wolf spring. SBE I is gods gift to waterfowling. Likes a lot of lube and always always slam the bolt, DONT close it slowly with your hand. If you open the bolt for whatever reason you MUST lock it to the rear and slam it close.

I can pull the bolt back on my M1 1/3 of the way and the wolf spring will lock it closed.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Griffin4590 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm

T Man wrote:
Griffin4590 wrote:+2 on the wolf spring. SBE I is gods gift to waterfowling. Likes a lot of lube and always always slam the bolt, DONT close it slowly with your hand. If you open the bolt for whatever reason you MUST lock it to the rear and slam it close.

I can pull the bolt back on my M1 1/3 of the way and the wolf spring will lock it closed.

I agree and I can do the same but why leave it to chance and wonder if you pulled it back far enough.
Griffin4590
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am

Many of the problems people have with auto shotguns and ar15 type rifles are due to lack of lube. CLP lube is cheap, makes the gun run well, prevents rust, and cleanup is easy after a shooting session. A little CLP down the recoil spring tube (work the plunger) and it will not rust. I just don't understand what people do to their duck guns. Do they row the boat with them? Mine gets really wet when it rains and it runs all day. When I get home, I take it apart and wipe it down with a rag that has CLP on it. I let it air dry on the kitchen table and then put it back together and add a few squirts of CLP in the working areas and I am ready to go. Moving parts need lube. There is such a thing as too clean of a gun if clean means bare metal. When it rains my cousins 35-40 year old II00 stops working. He for some reason cannot switch to CLP and likes to use turbine oil. The last time I asked him, he said he could not find it when he went to the store. When his 1100 stops, I give him a squirt of CLP out of the little bottle that I carry with my choke tubes and everything is fine. CLP does not wash away with water like a lot of oils do so it keeps doing the job that it should do. I use it for my choke tubes too.
StoneTower
hunter

Postby Park Duck » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:44 am

Militec oil is way better than clp
Park Duck
hunter

Postby Weston81 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am

I'll go with what the military use's, at least I know the Army does for sure and that's CLP.
Weston81
hunter

Postby StoneTower » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Wow! that Militec oil is expensive. I will stick with the CLP that has worked great for me for over 30 years. Besides, I have over 2 gallons of the stuff so I should never need to buy more. :yes:
StoneTower
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum