LED Camo Light Bar by Baja Designs

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

LED Camo Light Bar by Baja Designs

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:41 pm

Ok guys. I've been telling you that I had a new light on my boat and here it is. Its a camo 30 inch LED light bar made by Baja Designs. Around the first of August (2012) they found me through this forum and contacted me about putting one of their lights on my boat and giving it a review. They are trying to enter into the hunting market and wanted feedback on the design and engineering as it relates to putting their lights on boats, and duck boats in particular. I researched them a little bit and found that they started out making lights for motorcycles and trucks for off road, Baja 1000 and stuff like that so they have been in the business for quite some time.

This light is 10,500 lumens pulling 126 watts. If you guys remember I had 2 100 watt KC Off Road lights on it. Those were pulling 200 watts (obviously) so this LED light is pulling half the power. I can't even begin to tell you how bright this light is. The pictures below and the video do not begin to do this light justice. The light has a very low profile at 1 1/2 high x 3 inches wide. This particular model (30 inch) has 30 LED's in it and each are the size of a quarter. They can be configured differently from the manufacturer between spot or flood according to what it's being used for. Mine is configured with 6 spot LED's (3 on each side) and the rest are flood. The light has 3 functions. It has 100% power, 50% power and a strobe function, which is really cool by the way. The light can be operated with just the on/off switch without the functions, if desired, or both switches to operate the functions.

Once I received the light I figured out that I would need to make a mounting bracket. The bracket they sent would not work for my particular setup. Not a big deal as I had some material to make it with. I got it done and got the light mounted. The camo dipping, even though it's not the same pattern, matched the boat really well. I did find that it wasn't quite as tough as I'd hoped but nonetheless, it will hold up to the duck hunting environment and it's rigors. It will match any camo pattern and it's low profile design will look awesome on any duck boat. I also noticed the wire going into the light was on the side. I did not like this at all. As duck hunters we are going through flooded timber and shallow water. If this wire get's caught on a limb and breaks it then the life of the light is over. I recommended to the company that they might want to consider moving it to the middle of the light as this would offer much better protection.

Next I moved on to installing the wiring. The light came with a complete wiring harness that is basically plug n play. I mounted it with both switches to keep the functions. I figured it this way. If I ever run into trouble on the water and need to get someones attention, I can use the strobe function and get them heading my way. This wiring was initially made for a truck and not designed for a boating application so it wasn't long enough. It was easily rectified with an extension they provided and I was able to finish it up. The harness comes with waterproof connections, a relay and everything needed already installed. I wired it direct to the battery vs. wiring it into my switch panel. The on/off switch uses a 3 prong switch to operate the light functions. The switches on my panel are 2 prong so I couldn't do it that way. I drilled a couple holes next to my existing panel and installed both switches.
Once I got it on the water and tried it out I was completely amazed at how bright this light actually is. I was able to take it out several times before I made the video below. I could see navigation markers almost 1000 yds away. It turned night into day with no exaggeration. As I navigated into coves and came up on land masses, I could see them long before I got to them, whereas before I had to get close before I could see the land and could only see nav markers 300 or 400 yds away. Another thing is I no longer have to worry about running my battery dead. I have an extremely low profile light that I don't have to worry about trying to conceal.

Synopsis:
This light, while may not fit all applications, I highly recommend for any duck hunter, bow fisherman, or any other hunter's boat. It provides enough light to navigate shallow water at night without wondering about not seeing what's in front of you. Even though there is room for improvement to better fit the duck boat application, this light isn't far from being a "perfect" light to have on your boat. Take a look at the pictures and watch the video in 1080p HD and see what you think. Leave a comment letting me know.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Re: LED Camo Light Bar by Baja Designs

Postby carolinagreenhead » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Here's the pics and video.

Attachments
SANY0916.JPG
SANY0911.JPG
SANY0926.JPG
SANY0947.JPG
SANY0931.JPG
SANY0930.JPG
SANY0914.JPG
SANY0911.JPG
SANY0905.JPG
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby ncswamphuntin90 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Nice video and pictures and article would surely purchase one to put on my boat that's the kind of brightness and quality of light I'm looking for

Colton Wilburn
ncswamphuntin90
hunter

Postby steve-o » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:16 pm

very cool. it looks good on the boat.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby BEDB » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:17 pm

I'll take one. How much?
Flocked Wear Field Staff
Bring 'em Down Boys Pro Staff
lock 'em n rock 'em
BEDB
hunter

Postby Duckaholic-Anonymous » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:05 pm

Those lights are awesome! I have what you had - 2 KC 100 watt day lighters, but I'm not terribly sad with their performance. The price tag for those lights is a little more than I could justify for their purpose, but I would probably buy them if I had $700 laying around.

One thing - how would you cover the lights up hunting? Just throw your blind or whatever over the top? I just painted my KC light covers and put those on. But either way, good review, awesome lights.
Duckaholic-Anonymous
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:37 am

Duckaholic-Anonymous wrote:Those lights are awesome! I have what you had - 2 KC 100 watt day lighters, but I'm not terribly sad with their performance. The price tag for those lights is a little more than I could justify for their purpose, but I would probably buy them if I had $700 laying around.

One thing - how would you cover the lights up hunting? Just throw your blind or whatever over the top? I just painted my KC light covers and put those on. But either way, good review, awesome lights.

They hide easier than the KC's. Yes just throw the blind over it.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:42 am

I took before and after photos but can't get the after pic to load here so refer to the video so see the before and after pics.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:48 am

That sure is a nice light bar. Definitely pricey. Great video, pictures, and review.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby Huntndogs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:21 am

I will give them a second look when the prices come down to reality. :fingerhead:

Great write up on the review, but I do not see a huge market for these among duck hunters. They are all over the SoCal desert on $40k+ dune buggies. When you spend that kind of money on a sand car, what's another thousand.
"Hunt with an ugly dog"
Huntndogs
hunter

Postby baja designs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for the review shawn

I just wanted to add for a lot of people who don't want to spend a ton of money on lights even a smaller section like a 10" or 20"
will put out a ton more light then just standard round Halogen lights and most lights used. Also our lights are backed by our liftime warranty!
Thanks
Mike
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby Treydu22 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:31 am

looks good. Might get one just hope it doesn't get stepped on and is durable enough to take some hits from limbs
Treydu22
hunter

Postby baja designs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:34 pm

Treydu22 wrote:looks good. Might get one just hope it doesn't get stepped on and is durable enough to take some hits from limbs

Hey tredu22
I can assure you these lights are built to take an abuse. We've had multiple cases with off road racers using our lights and crashing at high speeds (highest known 96 mph) destroying cars and the light bars still worked.
Also forum members get 10% off there order
Thanks
Mike
BD
mike@bajadesigns.com
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Also all black end caps will come camo as well
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby Duckin'Around » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

www.seeliteleds.com

For whatever it's worth, here's a link to some LED lights I've been considering putting on my boat and they're more competively priced than the Bajas.
Duckin'Around
hunter

Postby baja designs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:14 pm

All great lights but Baja Designs lights will out perform and outlast the competition, you never have to worry about buying
a new light with our lifetime warranty on our in house American Made products!
With electronics and lights you definitely get what you pay for.
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Even the 10" Fall Camo Stealth light bar and 20" Stealth light bar will put out a insane amount of light way more then 5 or 6 standard halogen lights.
Forum members receive 10% off there orders this brings the price for a 10" to $323 and the 20" to $575
Please let me know if you have any questions
Thanks
Mike
BD
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Here's a test to the durability
The driver and co-driver are ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1gMWkWUDI4
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Hey guys
Here's what a 10" Stealth looks like at night
The tree against the wall is over 550 feet away. Ill post a few comparison photo's to see the differences

Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey guys just wanted to show you a few pics
Here's two pictures that Shawn took the first one is the Stealth Light bar on his boat and the second
is two KC halogens.
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

baja designs wrote:Hey guys just wanted to show you a few pics
Here's two pictures that Shawn took the first one is the Stealth Light bar on his boat and the second
is two KC halogens.

Thanks. I couldn't get the top one to load for some reason.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby baja designs » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Did it load now?
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby baja designs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Don't forget we offer 10% off for forum members.
Get the brightest and longest lasting American Made lights!!
Mike
BD
7605602252 ext 101
BajaDesigns.com
Mike@bajadesigns.com
baja designs
DHC Sponsor

Postby chaltig » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:55 am

That is an awesome setup! Love the proveil camo on the light bar!
Field Staff Pacific Custom Calls
chaltig
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:50 pm

If the light requires a six-pound finned heat dissipater, there must be some additional amps being wasted (turned into heat instead of into light). Since LED's produce no heat in operation, I'm guessing there must be some inverter in the unit that puts out a lot of heat. How much amperage draw is actually going on? I know the lights are rated at 126A, but that has to be only a portion of the overall draw.
How many volts do the LED's operate on? Are you bumping the 12DC going into the unit up to something higher going into the LED's themselves?
I'm impressed with the light output, but concerned about a few other things. Hope this product finds a steady market.
mudpack
hunter

Next

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds