Washoe Lake Update

Nevada’s wide open spaces provide great hunting opportunities. From Sprg to Snow Geese. Discuss here in the Nevada duck hunting forum.

Moderators: NV Guide, Old Duck Getter

Washoe Lake Update

Postby DuckManWest » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:07 am

Took the boat out last week to test run the new motor. Launched at the North ramp. The South ramp is closed. Nothing but mud there. After backing down the ramp and having all 4 tires off the concrete, I still did not have water under the boat! The bottom is fairly hard, so i proceeded another 20 feet into the lake. At this point, I barely had water touching the bottom of the boat. I managed to push boat off trailer. Once we got motoring, I headed North about 50 yards. Shallow and lots of rocks above and below water. I then headed to the West side of lake. Some areas 150 yards to shore has 2 inches of water. The cover that was in water last year is high and dry. From there I went towards the South end of the lake. Water deeper, but still no cover next to water. The bird count was poor. Maybe 20 birds while I was out there.
Bottom line: looks like a walk in show for Washoe until we get more water!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Re: Washoe Lake Update

Postby sanjuandel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:32 pm

how dry will little washoe get? will it dry up? thanks
sanjuandel
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:04 am

Washoe lake nor little Washoe are in danger of drying up this year. Could it? Yes it could. It would take several years of minimal winter precipitation to dry up both lakes. Washoe has more water this year than it did 3 years ago.
With the regulations for Washoe as they are, I would not hunt Little Washoe. It is not part of Scripps and too close to people walking their dogs. Attempting to hunt there would just give the anti hunters more ammo to get the whole place shut down to hunting. I have witnessed slob hunters rain down goose loads into that parking lot while people were walking dogs, etc...
Just my two cents on the matter.
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby NVduck » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 am

Little Washoe is closed to hunting. Dont hunt little Washoe. The State Park office has hunt maps for the lake if you have any questions on where you can hunt.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:21 pm

I could go on and on talking about hunting this lake as well as North and Soouth Scripps. Another thread for another day!
Now that 7 day a week hunting is here to stay, and it seems like people are hunting everywhere.....a few issues I observed last season:
People hunting from shore in a boat on East side...in the park...next to picnic table....50 yards from Eastlake blvd. (by the curves) A little close to general public, cars, etc... and not even a good place to hunt. :no:
People leaving garbage, spent hulls, etc. laying around. Please pack it out. Does not take much effort!
Driving off road. Everywhere you go, someone else is sure to follow. As soon as it gets soaked out there, mud gets very slick and deep. Little water and lots of dirt on the north end. Be careful where you tread.
Hunting in the same place, 12 days straight ????? Really... birds gotta relax sometime, It wont be there!
Just my two cents!
Hope everyone has a great season, wherever you hunt!! :beer:
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby NVduck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am

I have seen most of this as well. The entire east side of the lake is CLOSED to hunting from south beach day use area all the way around until you hit Scripps
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby NVduck » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

Couple last things to add, PLEASE know the laws where ever you are hunting and follow them. Also use common sense dont shoot towards people walking there dogs, dont shoot towards parking lots, when people do things like this it makes hunters in general look bad. This in turn causes law makers to look at how they have set up things and our huntable area shrinks more and more.
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:46 pm

Aha..this is the thread I will be closely watching
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby NVduck » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 am

Any updates on Washoe LAke?
mcqueenmetalfab.com
NVduck
hunter

Postby DuckManWest » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 pm

It has been relatively quiet on the north end of the lake. I usually hear banging going on this time of the year. I was out on the North side and water slowly coming back into the lake. With snow on the mountain, the creeks coming in from the West side will be slowly depositing water back into the lake. Does not take much snow to get them flowing.
A word of caution: For those driving to the north end from Bellevue - proceed at your own risk. This is not considered a road. Enough people drive it, then it looks like a road. The water spreads out across the weed flats on the way to the bigger water. As soon as there is water on that ground, it turns into a sink hole. I have seen big trucks buried below the axles out there. :no:
I looked for the Specks, but did not see them. Does not mean they are not there!
might hunt it this weekend to see what is around. Besides, it is safe water for the new pup! Stillwater tomorrow. Dog will be staying home. Do not need any vet bills!
A few more storms and it might be o.k. by Thanksgiving! Let us keep our fingers crossed!
Good hunting to all!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I was out there Monday A.M. stayed till noon, didn't shoot my gun. Was a blast to sit out in what I like to call "Real" ducky weather and saw very few birds. The ones I did see are pretty skittish - used to the screaming calls I'm sure. I'm going to be heading out pretty much weekday A.M.'s and once I finish sanding the new glass job on my sneak boat, will be getting excited to sit out in the water further away from this small, hunter city created on the north and south sides... Yeeesh..

The garbage left out there is sickening.. I don't know how anyone can call themselves an true outdoorsman and treat the outdoors so absolutely, disgustingly horrible without any regret. I picked up someone's goose silhouette's, plastic bags, huge white plastic wrap, shells, boxes, peoples garbage..etc etc.

It will be nice when the birds come through, I'll be out there, thanks for the updated postings all.

Mikey
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby deadeyedave » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:05 pm

I hate to see the garbage in hunting areas. My friends tease me cause I will bring back cans and what not in my back pack when I am hunting. Thanks for picking up OTHER PEOPLES messes. Don't worry about the ducks in Washoe. People will get discouraged out there and then the pressure will let up and the ducks will come flying in...
deadeyedave
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm

deadeyedave wrote:I hate to see the garbage in hunting areas. My friends tease me cause I will bring back cans and what not in my back pack when I am hunting. Thanks for picking up OTHER PEOPLES messes. Don't worry about the ducks in Washoe. People will get discouraged out there and then the pressure will let up and the ducks will come flying in...

Dave,

You're exactly right my friend. I've done the same thing since I started hunting years and years back.. Good to know there's others out there. No worries how, "bad" we or others think the hunting gets, I'll still be out there with my pal, I'm NEVER disappointed if I leave with no birds, I'm not a fan of it but It's so great to be able to hunt in different states within my life. Stoked...

Good Hunting!
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby wvgeese » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Shot some specs sat am only saw 50-60 might all be gone now, gonna look tomm, sure was nice having a couple hundred around to play with :thumbsup:
wvgeese
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Going to try tomorrow A.M. as well but this time in the boat around the southern area of the lake. Gonna sit for a few hours or until I realize the boat leaks again. It's not too fun to lay down in water waiting for a dozen ducks to show up!

Anyone have any luck with geese decoying over water out on Washoe?!

Mikey
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:42 am

Geese are a 50/50 deal.

Sometimes they show up some times they don't come south and stay in the Reno area .

Some days you set up on the wrong side of the lake.................

Good luck.
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Sagebrush wrote:Geese are a 50/50 deal.

Sometimes they show up some times they don't come south and stay in the Reno area .

Some days you set up on the wrong side of the lake.................

Good luck.

You can say that again...... I set up in the layout boat today but still within some brush on the south side of the lake... wowzers..... I didn't even see a worthwhile bird to shoot at until 9:30... I also believe that was a coot... Did see one nice Drake Buffie, but he stayed out a bit further. I also saw ONE.... one flock of birds out in the middle.. They are definitely wary and staying out there... Someone was in the southern ponds.. shot about 6 times total the whole day and I did hear a few pops from the north end.

It was fun to sit out there and imagine what it would be life if birds came in.... Enjoyed the morning and also Don't understand this Nevada Parks deal. You ask hunters to pay for upkeep in the "Scripps" area then every other bit of area is technically a park... so then if you want to park... at a PARK THAT IS OPEN TO HUNTING on the 1 out of a dozen area's that actually has Water out here.. and they want you to pay $5.00 EVERY TIME YOU WANT TO HUNT WASHOE?! wow... there either better be a Seasonal park pass thats $20.00 or so, or you west coast hunters are seriously getting taken advantage of.. If you have a 115 day or so season and a guy wants to hunt the south end of Washoe while using one of the several parking lots in a OFF season Environment HALF that time.. wow you are paying a TON of money to not shoot any birds...
MnNorseman
hunter

Postby snipe hunter » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 am

I have hit washoe twice and have bagged 2 limits of geese... Went to mason bagged 2 limits there it comes down to the goose call go to my website www.12gaugeposse.com and try our bounty hunter goose call....tell you what guys if you want to kill more geese this season your going to want to have this call...it will call them from across the lake.....we went to washoe with no decoys and had 10 land 20yrds from us, we are headed back out tomorrow should be on fire!..good luck guys.
Tanglefree Waterfowl
Nevada Field Rep/Pro staff
http://www.tanglefree.com
12 Gauge Outfitters LLC
Master Hunting Guide
http://www.12gaugeoutfitters.net
snipe hunter
hunter

Postby overton buster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 am

Wow.. Now that is impressive... :bow: lol Think I might have to give one of them calls a try...... :yes:
overton buster
hunter

Postby overton buster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:52 am

I dont see a sound byte??
overton buster
hunter

Postby nick226 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:48 am

snipe hunter wrote:I have hit washoe twice and have bagged 2 limits of geese... Went to mason bagged 2 limits there it comes down to the goose call go to my website www.12gaugeposse.com and try our bounty hunter goose call....tell you what guys if you want to kill more geese this season your going to want to have this call...it will call them from across the lake.....we went to washoe with no decoys and had 10 land 20yrds from us, we are headed back out tomorrow should be on fire!..good luck guys.

Does that come with a money back guarantee?
nick226
hunter

Postby mallardmaven » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:47 pm

I don't like advertising on this thread. Isn't there a spot on here for you to appropriately sell your ware?
mallardmaven
hunter

Postby overtonskybuster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:10 pm

:fingerhead:
mallardmaven wrote:I don't like advertising on this thread. Isn't there a spot on here for you to appropriately sell your ware?

OH $HIT its the internet police man.... :lol: :bow: :bow: :hammer:
overtonskybuster
Newb

Postby DuckManWest » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:14 am

Come On Snipe!! :lol: You are killing me!!!! :lol:
Mason with a good spread, decent calling and the birds are working the refuge....I will give you benefit of the doubt on that one.
Washoe.......SERIOUSLY........Not yet
Probably not a good idea to be telling everyone Washoe is on fire now... It is not. Lucky to see a few birds right now. People hunting all around it and no place for birds to go. Somebody going to read the post, drive far, hunt without decoys, just a call, get skunked and be peed off! :mad: THAT would be kind of funny in a twisted sort of way.

Just busting your acorns! :hammer:

Heading out there now to see what's not there!

Good Hunting, All!!!!
DuckManWest
DuckManWest
hunter

Postby MnNorseman » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:39 pm

Snipe...

Pretty big words for a man with not one review on his site?? I get it.. you're probably a marketing or business major student and want to cash in on the lucrative market of Duck hunting in one of, if not Thee driest state(s) in the country.. So, you and Belding gonna make movies together now or what? Nice pro staff as well, so who's the financial backer for this dream team you got set up?

-Busting yer chops there big boy... Way to "Limit" out on Geese.. what 3 per day?! Way to reach for that bag limit bud. Totally must be the Calls.....

Yours truly - MN Norseman
MnNorseman
hunter

Next

Return to Nevada Duck Hunting