Where to hunt??

Information about Iowa duck hunting. Learn, share and discuss valuable tips and tricks with others.

Where to hunt??

Postby Canyon Man » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:51 am

I'm a college student living in NW Iowa. I go to Dordt college. I'm a long ways from home and I have no idea where where to go hunting. All i've got is a few decoys and a call, no dog or boat. I don't mind driving a couple hours to kill some quackers. Can anyone help me out??
Canyon Man
Newb

Re: Where to hunt??

Postby steelworker » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:30 am

I live in Sioux Center too. If you have money to drive to Dickinson or clay county area there are a lot of good hunting places up there. Try the Iowa DNR interactive mapping. I have decoys, a pickup, shotgun, shells but I also have a house payment and kids so I dont drive to the Okoboji area much. I have been kinda lazy about ducking the last couple yrs because my dog was a terrible duck hunter. Awesome on retreives but too antsy and drove you nuts whining and wanting to get up and wander. Awesome pheasant dog. He went to the great CRP patch in the sky last spring so this yr I am gonna chase ducks some more. PM me if you wanna talk more
steelworker
hunter

Postby blakduck » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Dickinson county and surrounding used to be good. I used to live in Iowa and had plenty of luck in that area. Just watch out there are some goose refuges in that area. If you don't have any diver dekes you'll need some for the bills, whistlers, and cans.
blakduck
hunter

Postby Canyon Man » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks for the advice. Have you ever hunted Dan Green slough? Or around that area?
Canyon Man
Newb

Postby blakduck » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Never hunted DGS. I usually hunted up around Big Spirit and West Okojobi. There a lot of marshes/smaller lakes in that area. Check out the Kettleson Hogback area and you'll find plenty of hunting opportunities. However not sure what the water levels are like this year. Usually in late October most of the local puddle ducks have been shot or left but there are usually plenty of divers around cause most people don't target them. We always thru out mallard dekes with some cans and/or bill dekes and they would pull in some divers when the puddle ducks were not plentyful. It may be a drive for you but it is probably one of the better options you have. There is tons of public hunting in that area. Also lots of pheasants!!
blakduck
hunter

Postby puntgunner » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:49 am

Better bring your snow shoes to use to walk on top of the mud up here in Dickinson county....dry, dry, dry.
puntgunner
Newb

Postby Canyon Man » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Yeah it seems like almost all of the places I checked out have either been super dry or you need a boat to hunt them. I'm having trouble finding anywhere to hunt that has water but you don't need a boat to hunt.
Canyon Man
Newb

Return to Iowa Duck Hunting