Ballestic Charts

From the .22 to the mighty 50 caliber

Moderator: fowl_wishes

Ballestic Charts

Postby bubba57 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Can anyone give me some web sites with 30-06 and 308 ballistic charts.

Thanks. Bubba
THE PRIDE OF HASKELL COUNTY OKLA.unknown in other parts of the world
"FLY YOU LEAD CARRIN BASTARD" ( My dad, 1919/1997)
bubba57
hunter

Re: Ballestic Charts

Postby apexhunter » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:47 pm

If you are shooting factory ammo simply go to that manufacturer's website and they will have the ballistics information for all rifle loads. Ballistics101.com also has charts of most manufacturers' loads

If you are handloading you cn go to the site of the bullet manufacturer and most will have charts for each bullet and/or the ballistics at varying velocities. handloads.com/calc/ is a good calculator where you input the specs of the load and it'll calculate the curve (you need the weight & BC of the projectile, MV of the load and bore to sight height).
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks Apex. Coffee drinking buddy told me about a sight, Ballistics 101. It has the ballistics for all factory loads on the market.
I dont shoot enough to justify reloading center fire, I do reload my on shot shells. I have always shot an 06, just traded for a 308 and wanted to see how they compared.
bubba57
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:10 am

Hornady.com has a new updated package that will work for you if you know the:
Cal .30
BC .362
Vel 2900
Sight: 100 yard zero

Get er done..............
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:34 pm

Above and beyond the ballistics of a particular load THE important factor is to find the load that your rifle likes. Too many people, myself included get caught up with finding the fastest & flattest load available for their rifle (obviously with the appropriate bullet for the intended task) but any gun may or may not like fast loads or a particular bullet and won't shoot them into a dollar bill. I had a .270 BAR that couldn't print a Federal load w/ 130 Game King into a mayo jar lid at 100 yards but was better than half MOA with Federal loads w/ 130gr Ballistic tips...both were at 3060 MV and identical weights.

I will give up a few FPS for a load that my gun will consistently shoot small groups- espacially for hunting loads. I do nto believe a whitetail at 150 yards will ever know the difference between a bullet traveling 7800fps and one going 2900fps and I'll always prefer the one that I can put into his boiler room shot after shot. If you don't reload you may have to buy a few boxes of ammo to see what your rifle prefers (or shoot a few of somebody's to check them out as well). Don't wory about POI when checkign loads but the group sizes...once you find a good one then sight to that load and stick with it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby bubba57 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:09 pm

apexhunter wrote:Above and beyond the ballistics of a particular load THE important factor is to find the load that your rifle likes. Too many people, myself included get caught up with finding the fastest & flattest load available for their rifle (obviously with the appropriate bullet for the intended task) but any gun may or may not like fast loads or a particular bullet and won't shoot them into a dollar bill. I had a .270 BAR that couldn't print a Federal load w/ 130 Game King into a mayo jar lid at 100 yards but was better than half MOA with Federal loads w/ 130gr Ballistic tips...both were at 3060 MV and identical weights.

I will give up a few FPS for a load that my gun will consistently shoot small groups- espacially for hunting loads. I do nto believe a whitetail at 150 yards will ever know the difference between a bullet traveling 7800fps and one going 2900fps and I'll always prefer the one that I can put into his boiler room shot after shot. If you don't reload you may have to buy a few boxes of ammo to see what your rifle prefers (or shoot a few of somebody's to check them out as well). Don't wory about POI when checkign loads but the group sizes...once you find a good one then sight to that load and stick with it.

I agree 100%. My Rem 06 is a tack driver with winchester 150 gr. silvertips and all over the paper with Rem. 150 gr. cor-lokt.
Just wanted to see what was out there for the 308 so I could get a game plane. The 308 will prob. be my wifes gun, I traded her 243 for it. :smile:
bubba57
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 am

Now you really opened up a can of worms...............

Accuracy depends on primers,powders,bullets,B/T ,flat base,tip type,OAL,crimps-no crimp,stock bedding, barrel free or bedded etc,etc.

To save lots of money just try two or three different factory bullet weights and see what your gun likes the best.
My 270 likes 130 and 140's but hates 150grs............my 30-06 likes 200gr down to 165 but I can only get one powder and
the 150gr Rem Core-Lokt to group around 1" at 100 yards............. and I agree, maximum loads are not always the best !!
Both these rifles like 55grs of imr 4831 for the 140 and 180gr bullets, an accurate 90% load.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Rifle and Handgun forum