Goose Hunting Tips

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Goose Hunting Tips

Postby colebyrob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm

I have never been goose hunting and I have a corn field that has about 25-35 geese coming into it every afternoon before they come to my pond right at dark. what would be the best way to hunt them. I don't have any goose decoys and am not a very good goose caller. Would mallard decoys and a Mallard call work? Any tips on hunting them would help tremendously.
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Re: Goose Hunting Tips

Postby sportsman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:31 pm

How large of a field is it? Can you hide in the corn? I would suggest hunting the field because they might roost in the pond and if you shoot their roost you may never see them again.
sportsman
hunter

Postby colebyrob » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:06 pm

It is a large field and there is a dried up pond with trees around it that they fly over about twenty feet off the ground. I was thinking about just setting up in the trees and shoot them as they fly over.
If that don't lite your fire , your wood's wet . - Jim Ronquest
colebyrob
hunter

Postby Huntfish12 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 am

lay in the field and cover up with some stubble at the last place you saw them or in the closest area. Get a black shirt or material and make a flag out of it. When you see them comming in the distance start waving it. When then get about 200yds or less away, stop waving and pray that they come your way. Other then that, with no decoys or calling skills, your very limited. And no on the duck decoys, leave them home along with the call.
Theres always someone out there thats better then you. I'm that guy.
Huntfish12
hunter

Postby Ilovesidebysides » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Correct on the ducks. Don't bring them.
Even if you had just a few decoys, you'd be in much better shape. Even one really...
Don't shoot their roost.
Ilovesidebysides
hunter

Postby michelleclark » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks for the tips. Its very informative. thanks for sharing this.

http://www.welovekohsamui.com/things-to ... oon-party/
michelleclark
Newb

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:33 am

colebyrob wrote:It is a large field and there is a dried up pond with trees around it that they fly over about twenty feet off the ground. I was thinking about just setting up in the trees and shoot them as they fly over.

This is the best idea, don't over hunt them maybe once a week and you'll get more chances at em.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby steveclapton » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:56 pm

Huntfish12 wrote:lay in the field and cover up with some stubble at the last place you saw them or in the closest area. Get a black shirt or material and make a flag out of it. When you see them comming in the distance start waving it. When then get about 200yds or less away, stop waving and pray that they come your way. Other then that, with no decoys or calling skills, your very limited. And no on the duck decoys, leave them home along with the call.

I read this post and i completely agree with you. Very nice and interesting this, thanks a lot for sharing...

phuket beach hotel
steveclapton
Newb

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum