New truck thoughts?

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, KCDuckMaster, ajmorell

New truck thoughts?

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:41 am

I love my '04 F250 but I really don't need the Super Duty... I do haul my own firewood, run it to the goose pit, haul boats, I have a small landscaping gig in the summer and just generally need the room of a pickup, but not really the power of a Super Duty.....so I can step down to a regular 150, 1500 or the like
I'm looking to buy next summer and want to see what you guys think.

Here are the facts:

I really want an 8' bed but I really do NOT want the crew cab and the 8' bed, it's just wayyyyyy too long.
I like my Ford but they really are a lot more money than the competition.
I hate Chevy, but they have been catching my eye lately, the look like they have poor ground clearance though
No Dodge....
Gotta be 4x4

thoughts?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: New truck thoughts?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:20 am

I'm a Chevy man and I'll stand by that. A 1500 with a long bed and a 5.3L would be nice for all around working and they get pretty good millage for a full size v8 truck.

personally I wouldnt get an f150 just because I hate the way they look, the interior, and I have yet to be impressed by my friend's dad's f150 we too for a 10hr drive to wisconsin pulling a 21ft boat it really searched for gears on the highway.

but I think if you pull a trailer thats loaded (like more than a boat) weekly in the summer I'd stick with what you got for a little longer if its not going to fall apart any time soon.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

New truck thoughts?

Postby whisperin' duck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm a Ford man. I tried to love a chevy but couldn't. I will say this about the new 6 speed tranny. It's awesome just driving, but SUCKS pulling much. I had an 09 and killed it. I pull a 22' hydraulic tilt trailer with cars, trucks, etc. About once sometimes twice a week. At 54k miles the tranny started slippin' and I moved up to a 3/4 ton. Now, my hauling is through town and on the rode. The traffic lights are killer! As soon as I'm done haulin' I'll certainly go back to a 150. For now ima stick with my 250 gasser!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bsbritton78 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Your question is like wanting to buy a nice shotgun and settling for a Mossberg pump. You get what you pay for. I recommend the new F-150 with the ECOBOOST engine. Yes it is a little more money, but do your research and go test drive one. You will not be dissapointed!!!
bsbritton78
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:22 pm

I see more guys having trouble with Fords than Chevys. That being said I am a Chevy man so I may be a little bias.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:37 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:I see more guys having trouble with Fords than Chevys. That being said I am a Chevy man so I may be a little bias.

If you go to a Ford dealer, yes, you'll see a lot more people with problems with Fords. And vica versa. One of my buddies owns a mech shop and in the times I've been there he has either or.
What it all boils down to is personal preference, period, end o discussion. You like what YOU like. :thumbsup:
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DUCKINout » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:57 pm

Ever think about a tundra ?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
DUCKINout
hunter

New truck thoughts?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:33 pm

I have a 2011 F150 4x4 5.0L. Put a 2.5 leveling kit and 35 inch nitto grapplers and it still gets 19-20 on the highway and around 16-17 in town. I love the truck wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:35 pm

bsbritton78 wrote:Your question is like wanting to buy a nice shotgun and settling for a Mossberg pump. You get what you pay for. I recommend the new F-150 with the ECOBOOST engine. Yes it is a little more money, but do your research and go test drive one. You will not be dissapointed!!!

LOL compared to the GM V8's their millage is only marginally better in town and the same on the highway. and if you ever plan to tow anything the ecoboost is a joke, 6 people and a 20ft boat on a fishing trip with an 8hr drive my buddy's ecoboost got 11.5mpg and kept shifting up and down on the slightest grade.

yes its snappy and quick when its unloaded, and performance and HP wise they are toned down from the factory to keep from out preforming ford's 6.2L but you put a trailer on them and the v6 really shows its still a v6. its ment to be the new soccer mom car IMO.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:37 pm

ducksNgeese91 wrote:I have a 2011 F150 4x4 5.0L. Put a 2.5 leveling kit and 35 inch nitto grapplers and it still gets 19-20 on the highway and around 16-17 in town. I love the truck wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now.

calling BS on this. hand calculate your millage with a correct speedometer I can bet you its not over 13mpg in town unless you have regeared your axles.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

New truck thoughts?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:20 pm

I'll fill up tomorrow and hand calc it and get back. I'm going off what the computer in my truck says.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:23 pm

ducksNgeese91 wrote:I'll fill up tomorrow and hand calc it and get back. I'm going off what the computer in my truck says.

usually those are 1-2mpg off. also with the bigger tires your speedometer and odometer will not be reading correctly with the bigger tires unless you have had a tune or gear swap.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

New truck thoughts?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:44 am

I have had it adjusted to comp for the tires But like I said I'll Hand calc it and see how she does.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:59 am

ducksNgeese91 wrote:I have had it adjusted to comp for the tires But like I said I'll Hand calc it and see how she does.

Yea, let me know about that, I'm curious. My 09 got 13 or 14 in town driving easy and 17-18 on the road. That's all easy driving though. If I really drove it it was 2 or so less
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

New truck thoughts?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 am

whisperin' duck wrote:
ducksNgeese91 wrote:I have had it adjusted to comp for the tires But like I said I'll Hand calc it and see how she does.

Yea, let me know about that, I'm curious. My 09 got 13 or 14 in town driving easy and 17-18 on the road. That's all easy driving though. If I really drove it it was 2 or so less

What engine did you have in your 09?
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:47 am

ducksNgeese91 wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

What engine did you have in your 09?

5.4, They didn't start the new lineup until the '10s
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

New truck thoughts?

Postby ducksNgeese91 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:02 pm

My brother has the 4.6 3v. Which kicks ass for a small v8. Its a newer His is an 09 4x4 In highschool I had a 2003 with the 4.6 2v and it had no balls.. the 3v version of the 4.6 really shocked me I'll call him and ask him what kind of mileage he sees out of that truck.
ducksNgeese91
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:21 pm

I love my ranger... just saying lol.
VAgooser
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 pm

VAgooser wrote:I love my ranger... just saying lol.

I dont see how you guys with mid-size trucks haul your gear!!! by the time I have 2-4 people in my cab, guns blind bags and coats in/under the back seat, waders in the tool box, and then blinds and few doz decoys in the bed my truck is PACKED

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:57 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
VAgooser wrote:I love my ranger... just saying lol.

I dont see how you guys with mid-size trucks haul your gear!!! by the time I have 2-4 people in my cab, guns blind bags and coats in/under the back seat, waders in the tool box, and then blinds and few doz decoys in the bed my truck is PACKED

My buddy just bought a crew cab Tacoma with the short bed and I was thinking the same thing. It's comfy inside but I think it'll be crammed with 3-4 guys and all our gear.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 am

most likely will be I bet, I have a buddy I went to high school with and I see him at the public areas and he drives a single cab ranger and he really only has room for him self, gun, waders, and coat in the truck's cab and then a big decoy sled that filled up his bed he has all his decoys in. and then he has decoys pilled well over the top of the bed.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ebitzan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:35 pm

i would reccomend getting something older... these new trucks suck... no way around it
You ain't gonna hit nothin unless you got steel in the air
"If it runs on water, It DIES!" ~ Tool-Man
Coot shooting pro-staff
Mallerd killing pro-staff
Kazoo blowing pro-staff
Skybusting pro-staff
Barrel sticker pro-staff
ebitzan
Account Suspended for Personal Attacks

Postby whisperin' duck » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:31 pm

ebitzan wrote:i would reccomend getting something older... these new trucks suck... no way around it

Nah, man, these new rigs are great. IF they're under warranty :wink:. My 08 250 gasser has 160k miles on it and no issues, except it's hard to park, gets horrible mileage, you go nowhere fast, and it rides like a log waggon... :huh: :huh: Why do I like it?
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby macdaddy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

[quote][/quote]2500hdon37s wrote
LOL compared to the GM V8's their millage is only marginally better in town and the same on the highway. and if you ever plan to tow anything the ecoboost is a joke, 6 people and a 20ft boat on a fishing trip with an 8hr drive my buddy's ecoboost got 11.5mpg and kept shifting up and down on the slightest grade.

yes its snappy and quick when its unloaded, and performance and HP wise they are toned down from the factory to keep from out preforming ford's 6.2L but you put a trailer on them and the v6 really shows its still a v6. its ment to be the new soccer mom car IMO.

This is why I bought - & recommend - the F250. Ford discontinued the Ranger; and replaced it w/the F150. The 150 can easily haul a flat of flowers, but beyond that, well...

I'm proud as all get-out of my 250. It's what I recommend for a new truck. :hammer:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:16 am

2500hdon37s wrote:
ducksNgeese91 wrote:I have a 2011 F150 4x4 5.0L. Put a 2.5 leveling kit and 35 inch nitto grapplers and it still gets 19-20 on the highway and around 16-17 in town. I love the truck wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market right now.

calling BS on this. hand calculate your millage with a correct speedometer I can bet you its not over 13mpg in town unless you have regeared your axles.

was thinking the same thing...why? because i have the same truck......I have to work at it to get 16 mpg HIGHWAY!!! average is about 15 all around.......but you have to drive 55 and stay out of the throttle to get over 16 if at all

in 6th gear at 80 mph the rpms are only about 1700 rpm maybe 1800....but still the gas mileage sucks...and when i first start the truck in the cold i get about 7 mpg until it warms up

that said, i love the power 360 hp....chevy offers 315hp... i am on my 3rd f150 in a row.....soo little trouble, I ll keep coming back...rides like a car....

but the trucks dont get the gas mileage Ford claims

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Next

Return to Vehicle forum