Winchester SX3 recoil

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Winchester SX3 recoil

Postby NeverFail » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:22 pm

I have a new sx3 3 1/2 12 gauge duck blind camo 28" barrel. I shot about 300 rounds of 1 1/8 oz trap loads and about 50 3" loads. The recoil for all these shells are about the same as my Benelli M1 super 90. I thought the recoil was suppose to be a lot less. The gun fits me. I killed many geese already this year and do well on trap, skeet and Sporting Clays. When I close my eyes and point the gun at an object the bead is the only thing I see (no barrel at all). The heel of the recoil pad has a plastic covering and is really hard. I think this is causing the bruising i am getting. The gun ejects all shells including 1 oz trap loads. Is there something wrong with the gun? It really kicks hard. I've been hunting for 35 years. I shot a lot of different guns in my life. The SX3 reminds me of my old mossberg pump's recoil. I've shot doubles, OU, pumps, gas autos and inertia driven autos. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Re: Winchester SX3 recoil

Postby waterrat2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:20 am

When I test fired mine before I bought it, I thought the same thing, however, I believe it was in my head. I was focused on the claim of light recoil. After a few yrs of shooting it, I do think the recoil is lighter than most.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby duckslayer74 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:17 am

300 rounds isn't quite enough for break in, give it some time and keep it clean.
Winchester SX2 12ga, SX3 20ga, Kicks Highflyer and Terror chokes.
duckslayer74
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 am

I had one for a few months and with 1 ounce loads it seemed to have less recoil than by Benelli. Anything heavier than that I couldn't tell any difference either.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby 23yearsago » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm

Only recoil ever noticed on mine was when I patterened my 3 and 3.5 hunting ammo,, out in the field, shooting at birds,,, recoil, I don't recall noticing any :wink: !!
23yearsago
hunter

Postby spoonysmaker » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:28 pm

23yearsago wrote:Only recoil ever noticed on mine was when I patterened my 3 and 3.5 hunting ammo,, out in the field, shooting at birds,,, recoil, I don't recall noticing any :wink: !!

X2
spoonysmaker
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:02 am

Has anyone tried to add weight to help with the recoil? If so how did you put the weight in the Butt stock?
NeverFail
hunter

Postby FOWLHAMMER » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:29 am

I have the exact gun! 28 inch barrel SX3 waterfowl. My gun has next to no recoil at all! When shooting field loads i often show off by shooting it 1 handed! It cycles through every size shell i rack through it! I love my SX3 and cant imagine buying anything else! My boys will both have SX3 when they become old enough to shoot! Best gun ever!
Chootem Choootem! Bang Bang quack quack DEAD!!! God I love it!
FOWLHAMMER
hunter

Postby Rockboy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:17 pm

My SX3 recoil is non existent compared to most scatterguns I have ever shot. Only two guns that have less recoil. A Beretta A400 Xtreme with Kickoff and my old Ithaca Mag 10 Auto. Mag 10 is the least recoil of any 12 or 10 ga gun I have ever shot. My SX3 is the bomb with any load. Could be the fit cause a good fit has more to do with felt recoil than the gun itself.
Layout boats and blinds are pure death from below to the mallet's but leaning on a tree is the best deal in the woods!
Rockboy
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:40 am

Fixed recoil issue. I put on a limbsaver and it made a huge difference. I had to expand the holes to accomadate the sx3 stock. It looks like it was factory installed. I love it. I also added a limbsaver to my Benelli M1 super 90 and that made a big difference too. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:45 pm

I had a BPS last duck season and I had a bruise on my shoulder the whole season. Got an SX3 and I never really notice it. Remember last year I hated shooting cripples cuz it hurt my arm like hell. I've put about 500 shells thru my gun and never noticed the recoil. If u need less recoil than the SX3 than get a 20 guage. Just because they say theirs gonna be less recoil doesn't mean its gonna be non existent. And if its kicking as much as pump guns something is wrong with it. I feel like urn probably just expecting to much. Shoot 15 rounds with a pump then try it with the SX3, if u don't notice a difference u either go a flicked up SX3 or the lightest kicking shotgun in the world.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Re: Winchester SX3 recoil

Postby Takeem406 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 am

23yearsago wrote:Only recoil ever noticed on mine was when I patterened my 3 and 3.5 hunting ammo,, out in the field, shooting at birds,,, recoil, I don't recall noticing any :wink: !!

I proudly own both a Maxus and an SX3... OK so the SX3 is the wife's!

I owned a piece of Italian scrap metal before only smokes I'd get a head ache from shooting 3" shells!
It honestly shocked me the first time i shot my Maxus. Shooting 2 3/4 Hevi it was like a 22! Then shooting 3.5" shells was lighter than my old shotgun! Now I just burn 3" shells and I can empty that gun so fast on a flock of geese getting more than one bird per flock is usual! The muzzle stays on target only moving a hair.

Only time I get beat up is pattern testing and Hypersonics.

Trap loads are fun! I can shoot the gun over my head, off my hip and all the things Flannigan(sp?) does... of course I don't hit anything LOL.

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby fabalis » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:11 pm

The recoil pad on the new Wincheste sx3 is really bad. The top is so hard that it is like a ball hitting your shoulder if not mounted perfectly. I simply don't get that Winchester will put their name on that pad. Probably because Benelli was critized for their soft pad being easily torn Wincehster has tried to avoid this, but the result is terrible. Any old fashion rubber pad is easier on the shoulder than the new one. I simply cut that metal hard part off after having fired three shells goose hunting. It was tough to cut off though but worth it. Just too bad that you have to do that to a 1000$ gun.
fabalis
Newb

Postby winchester1852 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:49 pm

dont notice any recoil only on the 3.5inch rattle the old noggin a bit.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Re: Re: Winchester SX3 recoil

Postby mudpack » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:13 pm

Takeem406 wrote:I can empty that gun so fast on a flock of geese getting more than one bird per flock is usual!

So the advertising is correct?
mudpack
hunter

Postby Idaho Mike » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Just went out this afternoon and shot some clays with my SX3 along with my SBE II and a new A5 that my buddy just bought.

All 3 guns were fired with the exact same load Winchester trap loads of 1 1/8" of #8 @1300 fps.

Of the 3 guns the SX3 had the less felt recoil followed by the SBE II, with the new A5 having the most felt recoil.

The SX3 has less felt recoil but not by much when comparing it to the SBE II. I'm thinking maybe in the neighborhood of 15-20% less and IMHO not enough to notice when hunting, unless your shooting 3 1/2" shells. :yes:
Idaho Mike
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 pm

Its a 12 ga guess what its going to kick :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:19 pm

I have the same gun. Just got it a couple months ago. Recoil with 2 3/4 field loads while dove hunting was practically nothing. Pattered some 3.5 in win drylocks yesterday with a t shirt on and man I could feel it!! But if I am shootin at dux I never feel it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
no3topqb
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:15 am

I own the same gun, an SX3 3 1/2" and the recoil is minimal. Mine has the decelerator pad on it which came with the gun and it does the job. When I shoot trap loads I can shoot all day with no fatigue. 3 inch shells have minimal recoil as well, and 3 1/2 inch have slightly more but with the hunting jacket on, its nothing that I have to worry about and it is a soft shooting gun. One of the best shot guns I own. Everyone has different recoil sensitivity, what might seem like a big kick to one, might not be bad to another. If I were to take a survey I would classify the SX3 as a soft shooter. I love shooting mine. Easy to clean too. My suggestion is that if your gun is truly not absorbing the recoil and it is kicking as hard as a fixed breech gun, then there might be something wrong. I would have it checked because from what I am experiencing with my gun is soft shooting all the way around.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Postby SquadIrons » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:43 am

I also have a 3.5" SX3. I notice maybe a slight recoil difference but I notice a HUGE muzzle jump difference. My follow-up shots are right on target and I can find target much faster after the shot.
SquadIrons
hunter

Postby gcs » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:30 pm

I have the SX3 and only shoot 3" steel waterfowl loads through it, yes, it kicks. Is it better or worse then other guns? I dunno, but
the SX3 is a very light gun, therein lies the problem, my old 11-87 weighs over a pound more and is much more controllable with stout loads. I finally figured out I was only shooting it in a blind, not hauling it all over the county, so I stuck an old mercury recoil suppressor I had laying around into the magazine and it is now more civilized.
But I still can shoot the 11-87 better, something to be said for a 8# gun. :biggrin:
gcs
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:14 pm

SquadIrons wrote:I also have a 3.5" SX3. I notice maybe a slight recoil difference but I notice a HUGE muzzle jump difference. My follow-up shots are right on target and I can find target much faster after the shot.

I agree about the follow up shots. Shot some skeet with some 3.5 Kent's just messin around. Noticed a big difference in the muzzle jump compared to the sbe2 I got rid of...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum