Smokers

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

Smokers

Postby Ducksup » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:49 am

Whats the best smoker you have ever used?
Ducksup
hunter

Re: Smokers

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:28 am

Brinkmann Pitmaster Deluxe.

The first picture in this thread is mine.http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=191151&hilit=smoking+again
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby slowshooter » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

I will tell you in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Just picked up a tamale pot to convert a Smokey Joe Gold into a Mini WSM.
Then finished up replacing a hose on a Grand Cafe (LP) smoker and doing some minor repair.
Picked up an old rusted Brinkmann Sportsman for 5 bucks... Which I am going to derust and mod to see if I can get it to work.
And I plan on testing against all three against my Weber 22 inch grill.

Most guys around here using one of three things. Traegers, Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) and or an Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS).

If I had all the money in the world I would probably buy a Big Green Egg and a WSM. And keep everything else for the days that I want to cook small for a few folks (or bust them all out for a BBQ marathon followed by a food fest).

As a kid we used to pit roast whole hogs, but these days suburban living has limited that... So eventually I am going to have to figure out to build a hog cooker that can bet used ala the Caja China - or better yet a whole hog smoker.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby flight control » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm

I use an ugly drum smoker (UDS), google and youtube it. It works very well and cost me 70$ to make.
When I die I hope its in a duck blind, that, or shot in the back climbing out of a jealous mans bedroom window.

Team wrecked 'em
Tim Hortons pro staff
flight control
hunter

Postby pwest58@gmail.com » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 pm

I use a Weber WSM and love it! I had a Brinkman gas smoker a hated it. A friend has a Bradley and loves it but it was pricey. You need to ask yourself "do I want gas electric or charcoal."
pwest58@gmail.com
Newb

Postby SmackinTheQuackin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:06 am

Big chief and little chief
HUNT TO HUNT ANOTHER DAY

CONTRA COSTA COUNTY DUCKS UNLIMITED CHAPTER

"hold my beer...watch this"
SmackinTheQuackin
hunter

Postby william costa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 pm

smokin tex.
william costa
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am

Hmm. Got my mini WSM working today. Burned it in and smoked a fatty (bulk sausage stuffed with Goat cheese, basil leaves and wrapped in a bacon weave). Held a 250 temp for hours. I think I will do a couple of mods but overall it's a keeper.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby aaronrocker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:00 am

I'm a trager fan
WizzBang Prostaff
http://www.waduck.org/
aaronrocker
hunter

Postby jared850 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:00 pm

As far a consistency and ease of use smokin tex or big chief all the way. Only problem is they don't last long and are kinda pricey to be disposable.
Goat Rope
jared850
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:27 am

Update. I honestly love this stupid little smoker. It can do about 13 or 14 lbs of shoulder with no problems.
I've smoked darn near everything and it's been no fail.

There are lot of plans out there for it. If you make one you should go with a weber gold. Easier to manage heat.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby sharris » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

Ugly drum smoker -- works great and was easy to make. It takes monitoring to keep the temp in the right zone, though. Looking at pics of the mini wsm, it looks like it is easier to add more charcoal into than the UDS. How long does a basket of charcoal last in that? The most I can get out of the UDS is 4-5 hours before I have to add more.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2014-15 Season
Duck: 24
Dove: 4
Pheasant: 40
sharris
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:08 pm

sharris wrote:Ugly drum smoker -- works great and was easy to make. It takes monitoring to keep the temp in the right zone, though. Looking at pics of the mini wsm, it looks like it is easier to add more charcoal into than the UDS. How long does a basket of charcoal last in that? The most I can get out of the UDS is 4-5 hours before I have to add more.

I use the minion method to manage the speed and temp of the burn. So I get between 3-4 hours out of the burn at 220-225. It's a snap to refill but after about 8 hours the ash level gets high. That's easy to deal with as well.

All you have to do is pull the pot with lid and meat in it and set it aside on a non flammable flat surface. Pull the lit charcoal with tongs and put into a chimney. Pull the small grate, dump the ash, replace the grate and re-ring the charcoal tray with briquets, replace the lit briquets, drop the top half back on and the temps go right back to normal. Takes a whopping 3 minutes.

Also, it takes less than a minute to pull the pot to add briquettes as needed. I use trader joes briquettes as they burn clean with less ash. The only problem is that they do take a little more effort to light.

The first charcoal burn will be shorter because you have to get the smoker up to temp. That usually takes about 45 minutes - it's never taken over an hour - but it's never been less than 35 min.

There are a lot of sites that have more information on the conversion. Mine is running pretty well, but depending on how you drill out the pan, what you use as a heat diffuser (I use a foil wrapped clay saucer) your results are going to vary.

Hope this helps.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 am

Pittmaster deluxe. Charcoal and wood.
Has two sides. Can grill, smoke, or both. Try grilling chicken and then finishing it on smoker side. Makes it easy to get tender n juicy fall off the bone barbequed goodness.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby callinfowl » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:58 am

flight control wrote:I use an ugly drum smoker (UDS), google and youtube it. It works very well and cost me 70$ to make.

This ! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :yes:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby Duck Diver » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:13 am

Horizon smoker

old school, will last you 100 years :-)
Duck Diver
hunter

Postby handyandy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm in the middle of turning my old stove I replaced from my kitchen into a smoker. Figure it's a good insulated box wth smoking racks and a good heater element in it that keeps a good consistent temp. The problem I'm having is getting smoke in it. Unfortunetly when set at a low temp like 220 the element doesn't get hot enough to get the trey of woodchips on top of it smoking. So I may have to make something in the bottom drawer that will get the chips smoking and cut a hole into the oven to allow the smoke to rise up into it. I've been looking at a smoke pistol or something similar for the part that will actually make smoke. I'm trying to have it be almost worry free other than adding more chips to keep it smoking. If you want a charcoal smoker a old stove would still work great just make the bottom drawer into a small fire box have a hole cut in the bottom of the oven for the smoke and heat to come up through. The oven holds the heat and smoke really well so it wouldn't take many coals or wood chips in the drawer to get it going and to keep hot.
Red neck engineering- If ya can't fix it with duck tape, bailing wire, zip ties, and JB weld well than it can't be fixed.

If it moves and it aint suppose to duck tape it. If doesn't move and its suppose to put WD-40 on it.
handyandy
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking