BPS side loading port?

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

BPS side loading port?

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

I was just thinking about if it would be possible to cut a loading port into the side of a BPS and I stumbled across the website of a company that actually does this modification. I like the idea but that open space behind the bolt looks like an open invite to general marsh crud. What do you guys think?
rifles2.jpg
(8.62 KiB) Downloaded 1825 times
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: BPS side loading port?

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:21 pm

Why?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:24 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Why?

This^^^
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:11 pm

Because when a flock of teal or divers make a second pass and my gun has run dry, I can't get used to loading the first shot through the bottom. So why not?
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Why?

It could make quick shell changing a bit easier. With my BPS's, if I want to put a different shell into the chamber, I have to release the shell in the magazine .... load the magazine with the shell I want in the chamber ..... work the slide to eject the shell from the chamber and load the replacement shell from the magazine tube. Then insert another shell into the magazine tube.

In my side ejecting pumps, I can pull the slide back part way and pull the shell removed from the chamber with my fingers without releasing a shell from the magazine tube. I then drop the shell I want in the chamber into the side port and close the bolt to chamber it. It all takes longer to describe than to do.

Is it something I'd pay money to have done? Not likely, but for someone who wants a unique shotgun, which has a feature that could be considered an improvement ...... I've seen people spend money on more foolish things. Consider the money people spend on hood scoops, air dams, air foils and fancy aluminum wheels for their cars. :lol3:
tripleb
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:10 pm

You shouldn't have to do all that, all you should do is switch the gun to single shot pop the round out, put the other round in close the chamber swith it back to mag feed.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:You shouldn't have to do all that, all you should do is switch the gun to single shot pop the round out, put the other round in close the chamber swith it back to mag feed.

Not many BPS's have that magazine cut off switch. Mostly just the trap versions I believe.

To swap a chambered round I slide the forearm back with my hand firmly over the ejection notch. When the shell hits your palm it will stop the rearward motion just shy of the magazine releasing a shell. Then take the new shell and thumb it past the shell carrier and directly into the chamber. Close the action.

I find the bps actually easier to swap a chambered round than my 870 because it will never stack up two rounds in the action when you accidentally pull the slide back a bit too far.

I'm just thinking that if my bps had a side loading port it would load like every other pump and auto that I own. I don't use the gun very often but I was thinking about making a project gun out of it so it is an "improvement" that I'm considering.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 am

If its an older version I wouldn't, if its fairly new go ahead, I would be worried about the integrity of the chamber and shell pressures.
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Part of the draw to the BPS is the bottom feed/eject. Taking that much material from the side of the receiver would weaken it dramatically and definitely create an open invitation for crud to enter as the bolt does not completely cover the new hole.

Not being a smart a$% but I'd get some snap caps and practice shucking shells into it as quickly as you can versus chopping up a damn nice piece of engineering. Having learned to shoot with an Ithica Mod 37 and then getting a BPS back in 82 I can attest that one can quickly and easily slide new cartridges into the gun with some practice. After all, birds making a second pass take a little while to swing around and come back over the decoys...plenty of time to reload for another barrage.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:02 am

clampdaddy wrote:
Tipsntails7 wrote:You shouldn't have to do all that, all you should do is switch the gun to single shot pop the round out, put the other round in close the chamber swith it back to mag feed.

Not many BPS's have that magazine cut off switch. Mostly just the trap versions I believe.

To swap a chambered round I slide the forearm back with my hand firmly over the ejection notch. When the shell hits your palm it will stop the rearward motion just shy of the magazine releasing a shell. Then take the new shell and thumb it past the shell carrier and directly into the chamber. Close the action.

I find the bps actually easier to swap a chambered round than my 870 because it will never stack up two rounds in the action when you accidentally pull the slide back a bit too far.

I'm just thinking that if my bps had a side loading port it would load like every other pump and auto that I own. I don't use the gun very often but I was thinking about making a project gun out of it so it is an "improvement" that I'm considering.

Sell the BPS and buy a NOVAhhhhh :fingerhead:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:02 am

VaTailfeathers wrote:Sell the BPS and buy a NOVAhhhhh :fingerhead:

I make it a point to never trade down.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:41 am

clampdaddy wrote:

:thumbsup: :beer:
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:27 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:If its an older version I wouldn't, if its fairly new go ahead, I would be worried about the integrity of the chamber and shell pressures.

The BPS locking block locks into the barrel extension, so removing some metal from the side of the receiver won't weaken it much. If it locked into the receiver like some of the older shotgun designs (Win. Model 12?), then that would be a different matter, of course.
tripleb
hunter

Postby The Drake » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:28 pm

Carry a 2nd gun.........
The Drake
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:44 pm

Why "fix" something if it isnt broke?

but if you honestly think it will help you/ be handy to have go ahead and do it.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:17 pm

What are you going to do with the ejector? The gun is set up to feed and eject to the bottom so empties would still shuck out at your feet and you'd take a chance of breaking the ejector by feeding from the side.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:05 pm

Seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist to me. My favorite part about my BPS was the bottom load/ejection, selling it was one of the dumber things I've done.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby cootlover » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:25 pm

Bps stand for "browning piece of sh*t" :biggrin:
cootlover
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:30 pm

cootlover wrote:Bps stand for "browning piece of sh*t" :biggrin:

Yeeaahh.....I remember when I had my first beer.
clampdaddy
hunter

Re: Re: BPS side loading port?

Postby ajmorell » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:25 pm

cootlover wrote:Bps stand for "browning piece of sh*t" :biggrin:

Geez, how insightful....what are you 12?....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby lostknife4 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Years ago I had several Browning Model B-2000's. They were a gas operated semi auto's that had the loading port on the left hand side of the receiver, when a shotshell was placed into that port it would automatically load into battery when the bolt was back on an empty chamber. This was VERY fast reloading indeed.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!. 5 shots in a very short time. Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:01 pm

Man it was a joke :thumbsup:
cootlover
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:45 pm

lostknife4 wrote:Years ago I had several Browning Model B-2000's. They were a gas operated semi auto's that had the loading port on the left hand side of the receiver, when a shotshell was placed into that port it would automatically load into battery when the bolt was back on an empty chamber. This was VERY fast reloading indeed.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!. 5 shots in a very short time. Lost

The B-2000's are some sweet guns it's to bad Browning had to discontinue them after so many people were cutting parts of their fingers of because of that "VERY fast reloading". The B-2000 is one of the few guns that can hang with my Belgian A5.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby gawaterfowler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:48 am

Practice is all I can say. After awhile you get use to it. Plus after 3 shots each from every gun in your boat or blind the group in well out of range I shoot a bps and browning cynergy at ducks and normally limit before hunting buds due to better shots. Like I say rarely does third shot totally kill ducks.
gawaterfowler
hunter

Postby GunnerNYS » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:48 pm

clampdaddy wrote:

:thumbsup:
GunnerNYS
hunter

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum