THANKS TO ALL OF YOU..IM SPENDING MORE MONEY...

A place to talk about decoy trailer setups and ideas.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU..IM SPENDING MORE MONEY...

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:09 am

Just joined the family a little while back and love all the usefull info on this site..But thats where the problems started....In this thread. Now im in search of a new enclosed tailer for haulin all my hunting stuff..I never bought a enclosed trailer before and need a little input from you guys with trailers..So many makes and models to chose from, im looking for a 6x10 or a 6x11 or 6x13 if the price is right for the 13..So my question is::
What brand do you guys like.....Who make a good qualty trailer
What size...I know you all say you will out grow it but i like the smaller ones for the gas prices
Drop down door or barn style...Will be loading a four wheeler SOMETIMES so ramps are not a big deal for me to use

I prolly over looking a bunch of usefull aspects of a good decy trailer so if you all have any imput on what to look for in a trailer PLEASE let me know...And thaks to all for the great ideas and all the pics you have posted..So with that being said thanks to you all for me spending more money...Again...Ill just blame it all on you so the wife doesnt take it out on me..Ill post pics of the process when i start to modifie the trailer...( If i can figure out how to post pics someday)

Thanks for any advice you can give me....Be safe and have a great hunting season...
oH
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Re: THANKS TO ALL OF YOU..IM SPENDING MORE MONEY...

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Featherlite makes a very good trailer. I wish I had spent the extra money for one. The one I got allows too much dust into the trailer and is not sealed up well enough for me. I drive the Sask gravel roads and everything inside gets a coat of dust. I have a Diamond brand, 6x12, tandem wheel.

I think barn door is more practical, even though you would have to utilize a ramp for 4 wheelers etc. I have seen too many folks, myself included, that have busted their arse and peeled off a layer of ankle skin on the support wires of the ramp rear door.

For me, the 6 x 12 has been the largest practical size that is both manuverable and convenient.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:07 am

I did siding for many years. I prefer the barn-door style because them cables will hurt you like the previous poster said.
Carry two pieces of 2x12 that are about 4 feet long and you got your ramps.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:45 am

Some very usefull info. from you guys..THANKS...I was liking the drop down door, but the barn door makes more sense now, i can use the two doors for hanging the Lay outs on and get them off the floor..The two pieces of 2x12 is a good idea also and not hard to move around..Looking at a 6x12 now for the fact that i will have more room to grow in to, and it not too big to pull and move around and not too small to get cramped once filled..Im just geeting tired of load and unloading all the time and getting out to hunt and not having the right close for the weather, like last weekend didnt need waders but was raining real hard and forgot the rain pants at home so had to wear the waders and that walk sucked...THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU...hopefully in near future ill have my dream trailer with barn doors and 2 pieces of 2x12s for ramps...Thanks again..Good call on spending a little more money for a good sealed trailer..Will be deffinently looking into that also..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:20 am

Bought a trailer about a month ago, 2011 stealth V -nose with barn doors 6x12..Have it all gutted and replaced the walls and closed off the ceiling with the luen that was on the sides..Painted it white and did the floor with gray RESTORE for decks and about 20 inches up the walls. Added 10 strings of LED light strips (5 on each side) Looks good and well litt up....

Would post pics BUT DONT KNOW HOW...
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm

IMAG1230.jpg

How it looked when I got it.
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:23 pm

IMAG1235.jpg

gutted and water proofing the floor...
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:25 pm

IMAG1240.jpg

[img]
IMAG1240.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
IMAG1243.jpg
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:28 pm

IMAG1247.jpg

[img]
IMAG1247.jpg
[img[
[img]
IMAG1247.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
IMAG1263.jpg
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:31 pm

IMAG1267.jpg
IMAG1266.jpg
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm

IMAG1279.jpg
Attachments
IMAG1289.jpg
IMAG1287.jpg
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:43 pm

All done now to fill it up...Sorry about the mess up on the pics but this was the first time uploading pics....
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Great rehab on the trailer, ATC!! :thumbsup: Was that a new or used trailer? What'd you have to give for it? The grey/white inside really lightens it up and will be really helpful in the wee hours of the morning with your lights. Got them installed yet? Don't know what your plans are, but a steel pipe across the back, about 2 ft from the door, high enough so you don't crack your head, will allow you to hang your hunting clothes on hangers so it makes packing much easier. You may want to ( if the idea interests you) put the type of mounting receivers so you can remove the bar after you get to your destination if it's in the way. I glued a piece of double sided velcro to the plastic rod holder so I could wrap it around the holder and the bar in place to keep it from jumping out on the road. I put some eye screws in the wall so I could bungee the hanging clothes against the wall.

I really like your improvements. :beer: There is another thread on here that has some flood light installations for early mornings set up, some other ideas that make the goose hunting regimen easier and one that has oddball things that folks have in their trailers that make things easier. I'll try to copy the links for you.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:47 pm

Thanks for the compliment. It was a used trailer ( 2011) and the guy only used it a very little, paid $1,800 and I thought it was a deal.Im real happy with it and can't wait to put it to use. Your advice helped me make the right choice ( barn doors & 6 x 12) for this trailer. Thanks a bunch. There's still more to do before September 1st. So if you can post some pics of your trailer that I can use to help me out I would appreciate it. Under coated the frame and tongue and did the seams inside and outside when I had it gutted, That was just for piece of mid for me. All the wires are ran in conduit along the side ( up top) to keep them out of the way and run to the V nose to a battery box with a deep cycle battery and a toggle switch on the side of the box. That way we can run spot lights and turn them on and off from the service side door...Im sure there's a bunch of other GREAT Ideas you all have ,so post them and help a brother out...THANKS 10 finger for your help. .
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Of course, we drive up to Sask every year from NC and bring our 3 day possession limits back, therefore we need coolers to pack our frozen birds into. I put a small, 1"x 1/2" furring strip on the floor, back door to front door to slide the coolers behind to keep them from sliding around. On the wall, I mounted a stainless handicap rail that the second level of coolers (stacked on top of the 1st level) would slide under. We use rubber bungees from eye screws in the wall to eye screws in the furring strip to stablize the coolers so they don't move during the trip.

Another thing we do, is fill one of the large 100 qt. coolers with free ice as we leave town so we don't have to spend $3 a bag at the gas stations on the way up for the drinks in the cooler in the van. Ice is still there for 2 or 3 days after we get there.

I also ran some of those removable pipes (3) across the front of the trailer just behind the front door. This seperates the trailer into two parts for the trip. I use the top pipe (top of door height) to place homemade steel rod hooks that I formed so they will encircle the pipe, that I'm able to hang bags of decoys, blind bags, etc on the pipe and get them off the valuable floor space. Any/All those pipes can be removed while we're up there hunting. I have a mini-motorcycle that I mount inside the front door section against the pipes. I use it to get from the parked van to the goose field and back....no walking for me.....and cover it with camo.

Just a few "food for thought" ideas that have served me well. The trailer resides with my Canada trip buddy about 70 miles from me, so photos are non existent right now. I'll snap some when I go down next week, if I remember.

By the way, you can use 2x8's for the ramps if you use hardwood (oak) with the ramp accessories on each end.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:21 am

tenfingergrip wrote:Featherlite makes a very good trailer. I wish I had spent the extra money for one. The one I got allows too much dust into the trailer and is not sealed up well enough for me. I drive the Sask gravel roads and everything inside gets a coat of dust. I have a Diamond brand, 6x12, tandem wheel.

I think barn door is more practical, even though you would have to utilize a ramp for 4 wheelers etc. I have seen too many folks, myself included, that have busted their arse and peeled off a layer of ankle skin on the support wires of the ramp rear door.

For me, the 6 x 12 has been the largest practical size that is both manuverable and convenient.

Someone on here had those pool noodles in orange they split and put over the cables to make them high vis. stay away from blue ribbon. I've seen a couple that were junk
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Cypress_Bend » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:29 pm

awesome job on the trailer. I am about to go pick mine up this weekend. How hard was it to take off the cheap walls and put the newer thicker walls in. What all did you have to do to "waterproof it" and what kind of lights did you use cause the look good in there.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:35 am

Wood was easy to replace went with 3/8 sanded plywood for the abuse it will endure over the years, wanted something on the ceiling to stop any punchers from the inside and give it a clean look..

Waterproof was tompson for outdoor decks, had some laying around , not sure if it will help any but didnt hurt to try..Let dry for 3 or more days and used a paint brush to apply.

Lights are from EBAY and also waterproof.They run off 12 volt deep cycle battery that has a toggle switch and a in line FUSE. All hid in wire management from home depo for 4.00 ..

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 1217760494

for the lights^^^^^^^^^^ This one in a US seller and is a great price..Let me know if you want pics of anything and I can post them ASAP..THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT ON TRAILER..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:14 am

ATC,
Why didn't you just run the LED lights off the trailer lights inside or maybe both the deep cycle and the inside light ( an either/or)?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:28 am

tenfingergrip wrote:ATC,
Why didn't you just run the LED lights off the trailer lights inside or maybe both the deep cycle and the inside light ( an either/or)?

The lights it came with you have to have the truck lights on to use it, didnt want to run the truck battery down in the middle of know where and that light sucked..this way I dont have to worry about the trucks battery going dead. That deep cycle battery will last awhile without charging it and the LEDS draw a very low power supply. I can also use the battery for spot light and other things the will use a battery..I guess it was just PIECE OF MIND for me knowing the truck will always start. Its really takes up no room or in my way at all and to have the option to turn on the light when ever I want to and dont need the truck hooked up..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby Cypress_Bend » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:21 pm

this is a really good thread so instead of creating another one I will just keep this one going.. I traded even for a 1974 16' camper for a 6x 12 enclosed trailer, with side door and fold down ramp... the pictures the guy sent me before the trade looked good and figured it would be a good trade. I didnt need the camper anymore because I used it when I was out of town working on the road. Anyway I showed up at our designated meet spot and looked over the camper one last time to make sure nothing was out of place on the ride over. All of a sudden this guy pulls in with a brand spanking new enclosed trailer.. Come to find out he bought it and had one load ever hauled in it. he said his wife wanted to do more camping and get out of the flea market business(I assume that is what the enclosed trailer was for) So long story short I traded a 74 camper for a 2013 enclosed trailer. needless to say I am pretty excited about my new gear

with all that being said ATC mine looks almost identical to yours, it already has 3/8" plywood on the sides and 3/4" treated on the floor. I plan to cut some of the blue foam board to help on insulating a lil bit and instal between the metal braces on the roof and instal 3/8" plywood on the roof also, so that nothing will get rammed through the ceiling. i also plan to put the led lights in like what ATC has done on his. I was thinking about putting a flood light on the outside of the door side of the trailer also. I will more than likely put some kind of thompson water sealer down and paint it white.

the main purpose for this trailer is to store a fourwheeler in the rear, and a place for 6 guys to keep waders, jackets, blind bags, robo's and other daily necessary gear dry, while we hunt in missouri in a rice field, we have a camper that we will be staying in and did not want to clutter it up. I plan to keep the trailer on site when not there hunting, it will be on a fenced in lot with 8 other campers and hunting groups and where a guide service operates out of, so i feel safe that it will not be stolen.

is there anything that I may be missing or that I need to do now before I set this trailer up. i was thinking of using coat hanger hooks to hang jackets and waders from, other than that it will be a wide open floor plan.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:39 pm

Congrats on the awesome trade you got , im sure you will be happy with the new trailer. The white walls will brighten it up on the inside alot , and with the LED lights will definitely help out alot. I ran 5 strips of LEDS down each side , but im sure you can run more if you like. If you buy 3 off EBAY you will get a total of 12 strips and you could run 6 on each side that would help even more. Make sure you super glue them to the roof, that 3M sticky stuff didnt really hold them up long they were all hanging by the next day. Have fun enclosing the ceiling make sure you have some extra hands and using 3/8 will be even harder. If you want some pics of any of the wiring I post some. Mine is a open floor plan for now but after the season im sure ill get a better idea of what needs to be done and where stuff can go to maximize the space. Again congrats on the trailer, im sure it will only make stuff easier on us this year.... :clapping:
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:50 pm

Great deal, CB! On the coat hangar hooks, don't scrimp on the cheapo's, use quality, and put as many and more than you want. You'll find tons of uses for them. I would also recommend the closet rod holders ( the kind you can remove the rod, plastic) so you can hang a batch of clothes hangars on and bungee to the wall for travelling with your clothes still on hangars so you can move them into hotels, houses etc easily. With the removable rod, you can take it down during the hunting gear transport to the field.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Cypress_Bend » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:34 pm

ATC if you could post some pictures of the wiring that would be great. I like the idea of it being joked up to a deep cycle battery. So you don't come back to a dead vehicle in BFE.
Cypress_Bend
hunter

Postby AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:45 am

Hay CB ive been trying to post some pics but it says my files are to big. Ill take some different ones tonight and try to get them up ASAP..Sorry ill try to change my setting on my camera and see if that works had no problems before..
Im the real EASTWOOD
AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER
hunter

Next

Return to Decoy Trailer Forum