opening morning question

Discuss everything from issues in the region to Connecticut duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, MrCamoClad

opening morning question

Postby cthunter144 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:04 pm

Is there a rule to when you can leave the boat ramps on opening morning, or any day for that matter ? Last year I showed up to a ramp at 1am already to have 4 boat trailers empty and 2 other cars which I assume were kayaks or canoes, so I just turned around and went to a woodie hole only to hear the war zone to the west of me. What time do you guys leave the ramp on opening morning ? I thought I remembered reading a rule somewhere about midnight but I'm probably wrong could I go out let's say 1030 the ever of the opener ? I haven't had this problem in 5 years so I'm changing tactics
cthunter144
hunter

Re: opening morning question

Postby hardcoreducks » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:15 pm

No you can leave whenever you want. I usually leave depending on tides, but almost always before 1.
hardcoreducks
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Well considering the opener is on a Saturday it will be a mad house at the ramps that people know about. I'm hoping the low tide will keep some people away. But as far as regs go you can launch whenever you want and put out deeks anytime too.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby NortherPride » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:04 pm

U guys are hardcore, 1 am, holy hell
NortherPride
hunter

Postby mosherd1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:15 pm

Is it a matter of getting a good spot to setup or is it because it takes that long to put out the decoys? I am assuming this is for divers?
mosherd1
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Matter of getting a good spot for a nice shoot of mixed bag I like somewhere where's there's lots of traffic and I can convince a few small flocks to commit once the skybusters start blastin away, I try to save the woodie hole for a few days in once the local mallards, teal, ringnecks smarten up real quick
cthunter144
hunter

Postby STEELrainCT » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:58 am

Same here if the marsh i like to hunt has alot of birds then it will be a 1am morning for me also cuz the spot im gonna setup in i cant get my boat in on a dead low tide.ill find out next week when i start scouting.
STEELrainCT
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

there will be a few crews sleeping in from the night before in the Quinnepiac River come the night before the opener this year. AS always......but it has been known to be worth it for a nice shot at a bag limit of teal.

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Me and a buddy are camping out this year better be safe then sorry first time ever gunna have to do it, but with the mass amounts of ducks I'm seeing its well worth it can't wait all goose season was such a tease seeing all the ducks. And tool just wondering what type of rig do. You run and how much hp motor if ur going all the way out past the reefs 5 miles it must get pretty nastey out there, and I'm looking for new boats
cthunter144
hunter

Postby toolmaker » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 pm

cthunter144 wrote:Me and a buddy are camping out this year better be safe then sorry first time ever gunna have to do it, but with the mass amounts of ducks I'm seeing its well worth it can't wait all goose season was such a tease seeing all the ducks. And tool just wondering what type of rig do. You run and how much hp motor if ur going all the way out past the reefs 5 miles it must get pretty nastey out there, and I'm looking for new boats

over 20 feet and more than 100 HP...but the distance from shore doesnt make water dangerous....its the wind , the wind direction and how far the waves have built from, that is whats dangerous. on L I Sound with a north blow of 35 mph...one shoreline has a stiff breeze and 1 footers with lots of spray, the other shoreline has 10 footers crashing on the rocks....

be safe

the tool
favorite quote: We constantly dont do things this way
toolmaker
hunter

Postby cthunter144 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:22 am

One week away till the opener ! I know im way more the obsessed when I'm losing sleep already and the only thing on my mind is duckd duckd ducks, its an addiction that I hope I never get over
cthunter144
hunter

Return to Connecticut Duck Hunting