Great Opening Morning!

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Great Opening Morning!

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:17 am

Showed up to find half the town at the launch. I think everyone was there but my father, who turned out to be 45 minutes late. On the paddle in, a couple guys started yelling at him. At his age, he's pretty deaf, said he couldn't understand what they were saying, but the "tone was not friendly"... I guess I should have burned down that guys blind a few weeks ago.

First flight of birds, went for the Kryptonite I bought off of RJBadfish last year after the season, and realized somewhere in the darkness my insert slipped out, AND slipped off the double drop lanyard. Thats okay, I have other calls. Its opening day, things will look up.

Second flight of birds, brand new gun goes "click". Oh boy its getting worse. Luckily, I think it was just a bad primer.

Next flight, three come in right on the right of the blind giving me (and nobody else) a perfect shot, I really love when that happens... unless they all fly out, then I fell like a dufus.

After that I put down the gun and focused on the dog and trying to get some video. A whole lot of duck calling, and ducks flying away video is about all I got.

The dog did make one awesome retrieve though on a woodie diver. She didn't give up on it and after several dives finally came away with it. :beer:

She got a treat when we got home, I was told to go clean the gear and think about what I did wrong. :no:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Re: Great Opening Morning!

Postby JustinNH » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:32 am

NHDuckHunter wrote:She got a treat when we got home, I was told to go clean the gear and think about what I did wrong. :no:

:lol:

Always good to get out though. I've had my share of 'what else can go wrong' days :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby Cigarz » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:41 pm

get 'em out of the way for smooth sailing the rest of the season!
It's better on the water.
Cigarz
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:03 pm

The dog is on fire, I am still flailing around miserably. I am starting to rethink my goal of taking the entire first week off every year. It seems the past two years there's no ducks around for the opener. I could kill a pile of teal if that were the goal, otherwise, its pretty slim picking. Had two groups of ducks come in this morning, both teal, took one out of each group. The first one flew out probably 150 yards and I saw it go down about 30 feet in to some thick brush. Told the dog I was going to finish my coffee and I sent her to do her thing. This is thick crap, just a bit over her head, she can hardly walk through it. 3 minutes later she comes back with a blue wing. :bow: No idea how she does it, no idea why anyone would duck hunt without a dog. Before I got her, I probably shot 10-15 birds a year, since I've gotten her, she retrieves at least that many that I would never ever find without her. I can't imagine hunting without a dog anymore.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:04 pm

Plus she pulls double duty. :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMGP0064.JPG
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby deertoducks » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Still beats going to work :thumbsup: I used to take time off for the early duck seasons but now use all my vacation time in November and December. Usually better time of year for me for ducks, deer and a little trapping if I have time.
deertoducks
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:28 pm

sounds like a great retrieve and nice work on the pheasant as well. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby duck envy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:54 pm

It is great fun to hunt over a well trained dog!

Unfortunately, I don't have the time for year long training and care of a dog... nor do I have the space. So the only time I experience the joy of a retrieve is when I hunt with friends that have well trained dogs.

:biggrin:
duck envy
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:35 am

Oops, did I say she was well trained? I wouldn't go that far. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 am

10 ducks & 1 goose fell opening morning for 3 of us.

I headed to Maine to hunt Fri & Sat. I should've stayed here. Way to warm. Say plenty of ducks but nothing wanted to play the game. The season has been open since 9/24 up there.

Opening morning of pheasant, I had 5 flushes, 2 shots and got one. Thurs flushed 4, got my 2.

Slow week as far as I'm concerned. I hope this cool snap brings a few more birds to our area.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:09 am

Decided to take a few hours before work today. Hunted far from home, close to work to make the most of it. Up and out at 3:30 and ended up being just a tad early in to the marsh. good thing too, because I didn't see a damned thing for at least 45 minutes AFTER shooting light. Perfect conditions too out there today. Had two single woodies come screaming over without giving me a look, then finally about 8 I wake from my haze to see a lone black cupped and sailing in. Took me by surprise and I came up too early. thought I blew it but made a great shot (if I say so myself) right at the very very edge of what I would call an ethical shooting range. Duck folded in half and did a great tumble down. thank goodness.
Awhile later I had a loan drake mallard come in real low. He came in on my right and I was certain due to his elevation he was about to bank any second in to the dekes. No luck, he kept going. 2 feet off the water, well within range too. I just don't care much for pass shooting so I let him fly. :no: :oops: . Had to get to work for a meeting, so I packed up about 8:30. Just as I'm standing in the middle of the decoys, I have a flock of about 30 woodies come in. Figures. Sucks hunting alone though, I missed the dog and I am quite sure she was pissed watching me get dressed and pour the coffee and never open the crate door.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:16 am

Congrats on the black.

I had the same thing with the mallard happen to me and my buddy this weekend with two black ducks. Came in a bit too fast so they pulled away at the last second. Thought for sure after they would circle back so we held off calling the shot... They did circle back two times, but saw something they didn't like and left on the third pass by us.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting