Texas Duckers Headin North! A Little Help Please?

Discuss Michigan hunting and share your duck hunting secrets here. From lay out boat hunting on the great lakes to the stubble fields.

Moderators: quackerkiller, waterfowlhunter

Texas Duckers Headin North! A Little Help Please?

Postby dukmanx » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:28 pm

Hey all you Michigan Duckers! Can't wait any longer for the season down here in Texas to start so me and a buddy are headed up to Michigan this Thursday to get a jump the rest of the boys down here. Going to be up there for the south zone opener this Saturday! We will be up there to hunt for 6 days str8 and was hoping you locals could help out a bit. We are both lifelong hunters of over 30 years each and we are needing a little direction to start in for our short stay. Marshall is where we can stay for free but will travel wherever to shoot the green! I have been doing a little research on the public hunting areas as well as reading a bit on the forum and need to know a bit more as to how it all works with the draw thing in the mornings, We hunt public as well as private down here but don't have the draw system for our public hunting grounds so if somebody could explain a bit more I would appreciate it. If any of you fella duckers would be interested in trading a hunt or 2 by showing us around then when our season starts down here I would be happy to take you on a few green timber Mallard hunts if ya like. From what I have read there are flooded corn fields and what we call down here Loks.(controlled flood plains). I have also noticed that the majority of the Mallard migration path in the past is east of Marshall for the most part. Am I rt about this or am I way wrong? I could go on and on but in a nut shell we were just hoping to get a little advice from you local guys up there if possible. Not asking for your honey holes! I know how that works out! Trust me. Just a little advice is all.
Thanks,
Dukmanx :hi:
Nothing but Green and a Kicker Bird is the only way to roll
dukmanx
Newb

Re: Texas Duckers Headin North! A Little Help Please?

Postby John Singer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:41 am

I live about an hour east of Marshall near Jackson. You will not likely see the concentration of birds here in Michigan that you likely see in Texas.

The Waterfowl Management Areas of this state are run on a drawing system. These areas include Allegan, Shiawassee River State Game Area, Fish Point Wildlife Area, Nayanquing Point Wildlife Area, Muskegon Wastewater, Point Mouille etc. Opening weekend they are by reservation only. After opening weekend they are run by a daily draw. You need to arrive at the check station at the appropriate time for either morning or afternoon hunts. The times and addresses are given in the Waterfowl Hunting Guide. You register your party for the drawing. When the drawing is held, your party's number will be called. In the order that you are drawn, you can select a hunting location from the map/board. You then go to that location and hunt (usually 1/2 day). The hunting on these places can be either good or bad depending on many factors including the migration, the weather, nearby hunters shooting at or while birds are working your spread, etc. If you hunt these areas, you will likely hear some of the best and some of the worst duck calling that you have ever heard in your life (read that the "laughing jackass").

It is very dry this year and many of these areas will not be holding the water that they usually do.

In the area that I live, my best hunting for both mallards and Canada geese occurs in cut corn fields. I have access to a couple of farms near where I live and the corn is just getting cut.

There is some very good mallard hunting to be had in Michigan however, we are probably better known for our diver duck hunting (you call it "jack").

My daughter lives in Central Texas and I make it down there about once per year to visit. PM me if you are interested in trading hunts. Can you put me on to some hog hunting in February or March?
John Singer
John Singer
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:55 pm

dukmanx wrote:Hey all you Michigan Duckers! Can't wait any longer for the season down here in Texas to start so me and a buddy are headed up to Michigan this Thursday to get a jump the rest of the boys down here. Going to be up there for the south zone opener this Saturday! We will be up there to hunt for 6 days str8 and was hoping you locals could help out a bit. We are both lifelong hunters of over 30 years each and we are needing a little direction to start in for our short stay. Marshall is where we can stay for free but will travel wherever to shoot the green! I have been doing a little research on the public hunting areas as well as reading a bit on the forum and need to know a bit more as to how it all works with the draw thing in the mornings, We hunt public as well as private down here but don't have the draw system for our public hunting grounds so if somebody could explain a bit more I would appreciate it. If any of you fella duckers would be interested in trading a hunt or 2 by showing us around then when our season starts down here I would be happy to take you on a few green timber Mallard hunts if ya like. From what I have read there are flooded corn fields and what we call down here Loks.(controlled flood plains). I have also noticed that the majority of the Mallard migration path in the past is east of Marshall for the most part. Am I rt about this or am I way wrong? I could go on and on but in a nut shell we were just hoping to get a little advice from you local guys up there if possible. Not asking for your honey holes! I know how that works out! Trust me. Just a little advice is all.
Thanks,
Dukmanx :hi:

First of all dukmanx, welcome to DHC and to Michigan. I used to hunt around Marshall quite a bit (moved back to Nebraska this summer), and there is a ton of good hunting to be had, however, ALL of it is private. I don't mean this to say that there is no good public hunting in Michigan, that is most certainly not the case, but there is no private land in Calhoun County (where Marshall is located) and relatively little in the surrounding counties. I don't know where you got your info regarding flooded corn fields and controlled flood plains, but you are not going to find any of that around Marshall without doing some SERIOUS driving. Michigan's summer was very dry, and as such they have very low water conditions, so I would guess that most of the hunting this year will be focused around the rivers. The Kalamazoo river that runs through Marshall will most likely hold a lot of birds, and even though there is public access to the river, none of the land surrounding it is, so you will need permission to hunt it. I still have a few connections in Marshall that I might be able to pull to put you on a few birds, but I have a feeling that a hunt swap is probably not what they will be considering as they will most likely not be travelling to Texas anytime soon. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I know from hunting that area for the past few years how great of hunting it can be but it is a VERY hard area to get permission (a lot of land is leased for deer hunting and they won't let people on it until after November). If you have any questions, feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can't steer you in the right direction. Good luck!
sws002
hunter

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:56 pm

If sws cant hook you up with anything your next best bet would probably be to hop on 94 East from marshal for about 2 hours and hunt Erie or St. Clair. I dont hunt that area but it always seems to be productive for those that do. good luck. might be a few guys out there for the opener though. if its anything like it is here on the saginaw bay it can become quite the battlefield for the frst hour while the teal are flying.
2013 DHC California cyber scouters---6
:moon:
NuffDaddy
hunter

Postby TopGunMich » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Your several weeks early for prime migration. If you have a boat head over to Pt Mouliee, Lake Erie or Shiawassee near Saginaw, theres a fed and state game area! Good luck, sorry for the late reply!
STIMULUS PKG THAT WOULD WORK: PUT A $1000 DOLLAR REWARD ON THE 15 MILLION ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS IN THIS COUNTRY, $2500 ON DRUG DEALERS, & $5000 ON TERROIST, $10000 ON POLITICANS !!!!!!
TopGunMich
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 am

I wish I had read this earlier, and that you were coming up a different week, I would have been more than happy to show you around.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Return to Michigan Duck Hunting