Mallard Decoys (GHG Pro-Grade vs. Dakota vs. Avian X)

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:04 am

I have 2 dozen GHG Pro-Grade Mallard Decoys and am looking for something better. I like them its just they don't have the best durability ever. I keep them in 12 slot bags but the bills scratch. I have looked into Dakotas and everyone seems to like them, the only thing I don't like is the hens, they don't seem life-like enough. Now if their a decoy that will last over 10 years than yah I'll get em. The new Avian X Mallard decoys look really good . I think they are a step up from Pro-Grades in looks. They say their suppose to be durable, but I was wondering if anyone here has used them. Please give your input on which ones you would go with.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Re: Mallard Decoys (GHG Pro-Grade vs. Dakota vs. Avian X)

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:24 am

IMO where the Dakotas pay off in looks is how they ride on the water. They have the best/most realistic posture of any decoy on the market. I've only had mine for half a season, so I can't personally attest to durability...but all reports point to they are the best in that category as well. By the time a duck gets close enough to decide he agrees with you about the way the hens are painted you should have put him belly up on the water anyway... :wink:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby GA_DrakeAssassin » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:18 pm

I love my Dakota Decoys. Can't go wrong them. Like CutEm said they ride very well in the water. Another nice feature is that you can adjust the heads which is nice. I've had mine for a season and half now and they have proven to be durable. Just be careful if you use the flocked heads. One has to be a little bit more careful. But they do sell replacement flocked heads if they do ware out. They are a little on the heavy side but.... their realism and durability definitely makes it worth it. I will definitely be picking up another dozen when the bank accout allows for it.
GA_DrakeAssassin
hunter

Postby sooner737 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Plus with dakotas...YOU HAVE BACKUP HEADS!! Theres flat out not doubt about it. Your lucky your ghg's made it out of the box without any major chips. I think you missed the big sale rogers was doing on dakotas but still....they are 30$/ dozen more than ghg prograde and WORTH EVERY PENNY!
sooner737
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 pm

I have discovered that extreme realism on decoys is sold more to the buyers and not to the ducks. G&H aren't all that realistic looking as other brands are, but they'll last you forever. People here on the lake use 100-200 pure black silo's for their spread and slaughter ducks. When they are flying at 40 miles per hour, and a hundred feet off the ground, they won't notice or care. I spray painted all my decoys from lastyear and used acrylic paints instead of buying new ones.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby MuddyTwelveGauge » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:24 pm

Dakota's are my favorite! But everyone has something special they are looking for!

Use the code duckseason on marshmutt.com and get up to 15 percent off the whole decoy department.

www.marshmutt.com
www.marshmutt.com "Keeping the Steel Flying and the Dogs Retrieving"
A Duck Hunting Chat Sponsor
MuddyTwelveGauge
DHC Sponsor

Postby imboray » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:24 am

Dakota's everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. The hens look better on the water than in your hand. We had 12 doz locked up in ice for 4+ weeks 2 yrs ago and none took on water, none & ther was only minimal paint damage. Buy em during preseason sales or contact a Dakota staffer and buy from them. It's usually cheaper.
imboray
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 am

MuddyTwelveGauge wrote:Dakota's are my favorite! But everyone has something special they are looking for!

Use the code duckseason on marshmutt.com and get up to 15 percent off the whole decoy department.

www.marshmutt.com

Nice Post!!! :thumbsup: :clapping:
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:37 am

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I have discovered that extreme realism on decoys is sold more to the buyers and not to the ducks. G&H aren't all that realistic looking as other brands are, but they'll last you forever.

My G&H mallards certainly didn't.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby holtspur » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:40 am

My question is would y'all hesitate to Texas rig Dakota's and throw em over your shoulder? Sorry, not tryin to hijack.
holtspur
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I wouldn't.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby holtspur » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:18 pm

You wouldn't hestitate to or you wouldn't do them that way?
holtspur
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 am

Didn't mean to be cryptic. I wouldn't hesitate to Texas rig them. Little doubt slotted bags or even double bagging in slotted bags would be best for any decoy's longevity, but my Dakotas are transported and stored in traditional back-carry bags.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 am

Rick Hall wrote:Didn't mean to be cryptic. I wouldn't hesitate to Texas rig them. Little doubt slotted bags or even double bagging in slotted bags would be best for any decoy's longevity, but my Dakotas are transported and stored in traditional back-carry bags.

X2. If I was carrying more than a dozen of them I would just throw a hitch in my TX rigs and drop them in the bag. Since I only carry 6-12 at any given time, I don't see a reason not to have them in the slotted bags. I'm sure they will hold up fine, but I'm not inclined to "put them to the test" if I don't have to.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby holtspur » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks guys I don't mean to really put em to the test its just the way I transport, not to mention its quick and speed is key when I hunt the draw hunts, since we get to the hole a few minutes before shooting time. I just know I was considering pro-grade mallards and was told without slotted bags they would e destroyed by wagging em around that way.
holtspur
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:27 am

holtspur wrote:Thanks guys I don't mean to really put em to the test its just the way I transport, not to mention its quick and speed is key when I hunt the draw hunts, since we get to the hole a few minutes before shooting time. I just know I was considering pro-grade mallards and was told without slotted bags they would e destroyed by wagging em around that way.

If you gather the lines and put a hitch in the group, sliding the hitch down as close to the decoys as you can, it will reduce the amount of banging and swaying.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am

I would use stretchy weights and we hunt out of a boat 80% of the time so I don't need to carry them much at all. I'm asking are they durable because Im not gonna spend the extra money for them when they don't look as good and if they are as durable as GHG.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm

If you don't think the Dakotas look as good as GHG, our notions of that are very different. And it wouldn't be hard to beat most of what I've seen of GHG durability:

Can't speak to the Avian-Xs.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BDC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:03 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:I have discovered that extreme realism on decoys is sold more to the buyers and not to the ducks. G&H aren't all that realistic looking as other brands are, but they'll last you forever

Thanks Junior! And, by realistic you mean 'pretty' coming out of the box, well they may not be AS pretty, but check'em in a year or two. I bet G&H's look more 'realistic' then!
BDC
DHC Sponsor

Postby sorensonhs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:53 am

i got two dozen gig pro grades and the zip shut slotted bags. Paint is falling off like crazy. Even in spots where it would get very little wear. Very disappointed but its not like everyone dent know gig decoys have crap for paint. Cant wait to get dakotas. bye bye ghg
Put on your seat belt… I wanna try something.
sorensonhs
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 am

My older brother hasn't replaced his G&H he bought 10 years ago. They are very dirty but no cracks, not faded, and they still work.
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 am

I was thinking I might just buy Hot Buy mallards and replace them every year. We only use about 2 Dozen mallard decoys in our spread anyways. I would have 2 Dozen Pro-Grades, Dakotas, or Avian-X's just for realism. And I know GHG's fade but I wanna know if Dakotas chip or not. Im not leaving my decoys out all season so the main thing Im concerned about is chipping and scratching. I saw the Avian-X's at cabbalas and they seem really tough, but IDK know if I wanna spend that kinda money to find out how tough they are.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby imboray » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:03 pm

There is absolutely no comparison in durability between GHG and Dakotas. Dakota paint and durability rivals that of G & H, except they look way better. Nothing rougher on paint than ice, & our Dakotas were locked up for 4 weeks with very minimal paint wear. IMO they are by far the best deke on he market. The Avians look great but remember they are on the market for the first time. I shy away from first year decoys because there always seems to be bugs to work out. Fred's 1st year goose dekes last year had some paint issues. Read buyers reviews on Cabelas & other sites for more opinions, but they will echo what most of us are saying.
imboray
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Dakota's and its really not even close, GHG's are not near as durable and to me G&H just don't look good. I know the ducks don't care but i do. I've got to look at em and if I don't have confidence in em why have em. Everytime I look at them I alway think they look like crap.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Podcast » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Dakotas. Friggin awesome deeks. I use fully flocked now but still carry the Dakotas and use them when more deeks are needed.
Stage 2 GTR rippin up a 1746 custom Mike Kliebert
Podcast
hunter

Next

Return to Duck Decoy Forum