Mallard Decoys (GHG Pro-Grade vs. Dakota vs. Avian X)

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Re: Mallard Decoys (GHG Pro-Grade vs. Dakota vs. Avian X)

Postby thunderroad » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:49 pm

JuniorPre 360 wrote:My older brother hasn't replaced his G&H he bought 10 years ago. They are very dirty but no cracks, not faded, and they still work.

I just got a dozen super mag mallards and a dozen super mag pintails...can't go wrong with G&H
thunderroad
hunter

Postby overcorn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:27 pm

dakota dakota dakota Its not even close man..They hold up, and if you buy them you wont ever buy anthing else
overcorn
Newb

Postby duck501 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Dakotas are a hole lote batter then ghg. I have some of the 1st Dakotas out and thay hold up all most as good as my G&Hs. Need more time with the Dakotas. i have had my G&Hs for a really long time.
duck501
hunter

Postby youngwihunter » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:25 pm

i know this is an old post, but i don't understand why people have so many problems with the pro grades. i've had them for a few years and i texas rig them, and there isn't paint chipping. if you use a flat clear coat krylon over em a few coats, they'll last you! and like i said. i texas rig them and bang em around.
youngwihunter
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:28 am

youngwihunter wrote:i know this is an old post, but i don't understand why people have so many problems with the pro grades. i've had them for a few years and i texas rig them, and there isn't paint chipping. if you use a flat clear coat krylon over em a few coats, they'll last you! and like i said. i texas rig them and bang em around.

If you have to spray a protective coat over a brand new decoy for it to hold its paint, that says a lot about the quality.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 am

youngwihunter wrote:i know this is an old post, but i don't understand why people have so many problems with the pro grades. i've had them for a few years and i texas rig them, and there isn't paint chipping.

That's been my experience, also. Last year I used GHG PG's and Avian-X mallards in the same rig. Had no problems with either, but if I had to choose one over the other, it'd be the Avian-X. Flat awesome decoys.
Dakota's? They look more like a duck decoy than a duck. At least that what the pictures in their ads look like....and those should be as good as they get.

Is ultra-realism necessary to pull ducks? No, not all the time. But when I'm trying to convince those birds circling 60 yards up that these are real ducks sitting on the water, I want all the realism I can get. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby youngwihunter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

i didn't spray them with clear coat when i first got them. i had never heard of anyone doing that. but now that i have heard about it and started doing it, i've noticed that it really helps. friends run dakotas and they've said that everything on them chips. even the flocking on the heads. since i've told them about a protective coating, their problems stopped. i would do it to every decoy i own. any brand. just makes anything last longer. imo
youngwihunter
hunter

Postby duckbuster93 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 pm

mudpack wrote:
youngwihunter wrote:i know this is an old post, but i don't understand why people have so many problems with the pro grades. i've had them for a few years and i texas rig them, and there isn't paint chipping.

That's been my experience, also.

x2^^^^^^^^
I also have been using the GHG Pro-Grade Mallards for a couple of years now and have not had an issue with them...but I do baby them...so maybe that's why. I am now considering getting more mallard decoys and am torn between the 3 brands listed. I almost have my mind made up on the Dakota X-treme Mallards but I need to see them in person before I pay that kind of money, like mentioned earlier, they don't always look real in ads or online. As for Avian-X; I have never seen them in person either but they do remind me a lot of the GHG. Guess I won't have my mind made up on what ones to get until I go to Cabela's this fall and look at them side by side..
duckbuster93
Newb

Postby CutEm214 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:04 pm

duckbuster93 wrote:
mudpack wrote:

That's been my experience, also.

x2^^^^^^^^
I also have been using the GHG Pro-Grade Mallards for a couple of years now and have not had an issue with them...but I do baby them...so maybe that's why. I am now considering getting more mallard decoys and am torn between the 3 brands listed. I almost have my mind made up on the Dakota X-treme Mallards but I need to see them in person before I pay that kind of money, like mentioned earlier, they don't always look real in ads or online. As for Avian-X; I have never seen them in person either but they do remind me a lot of the GHG. Guess I won't have my mind made up on what ones to get until I go to Cabela's this fall and look at them side by side..

If you go with the Dakota's (and that's my recommendation fwiw), I would wait until late summer..they are coming out with a new paint scheme for the hens.
CutEm214
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:59 am

CutEm214 wrote:I would wait until late summer..they are coming out with a new paint scheme for the hens.

They'd be wise to take a good look at their drake, too.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am

Everyone's welcome to their own opinions, but while I didn't care for how orange the first generation Dakotas were, I don't see any bugs on the current Dakotas, and more importantly, the birds apparently don't either:

Just ran the numbers for the past three seasons of using Dakotas vs the three prior with GHG and Avery made Real Image mallards; same blind and number of days hunted each season, but there were, of course, many other variables to make it more a matter of inference than proof positive. None the less, we averaged 245 mallards a season over the Dakotas vs a 104 mallard average for the GHGs. Again, I don't believe that proves anything but that the Dakotas don't seem to be running them off. Not even during times like that pictured above when my "pond" was literally just mud.

But I do believe that the notion that there's something of significance wrong with the Dakotas is, itself, wrong. And I believe that the next time I need mallard decoys, I'll buy more Dakotas unless something currently unavailable and apparently even better comes along.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:00 am

Rick Hall wrote:But I do believe that the notion that there's something of significance wrong with the Dakotas is, itself, wrong.

Rick - I'm sure you know as well as I do that this notion comes from their price tag and the feeling from some people who can't or won't afford them that they will never be worth it. Its the usual, "If I can't have it then I will degrade it." :rolleyes:
CutEm214
hunter

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum