Speck call air locking or sticking?

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Speck call air locking or sticking?

Postby Rtyler4616 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:31 am

I'm a pretty avid duck caller and average Canada goose caller, and decided to pick up an RNT speck hunter (coco/poly) call just to fool around with. We hardly see any in my area apart from the handful that mix in with a flock of canadas.

I watched the rnt DVD, which wasn't very helpful, and the riceland YouTube video which seemed to help a little more.

The problem I keep running into, is my call keeps air locking or sticking fairly quick into the time I start practicing. Is it air locking because I'm creating to much back pressure or choking it down too much with my hands? (I have to confess I'm reluctant to want to take it apart in fear of never getting it back together tuned correctly.)

Any suggestions?
"Call em in or Blow em Out"
-Jimbo
Rtyler4616
hunter

Re: Speck call air locking or sticking?

Postby Klondike » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Try blowing a steady stream of air through the call with no obstruction of the insert and slowly closing your on call hand down until the call rolls over. Try hanging around that point where the call changes over or you feel the bump of the break. If the call still hangs,buy a riceland. Even the poly version is much more user friendly then an RNT.
Klondike
hunter

Re: Speck call air locking or sticking?

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:51 pm

I've never experienced a speck call air locking. I would say that you've got a back pressure problem. The other poster offered good advice, though I wouldn't give up on it. Riceland makes a damn fine call, but I bet you can figure out the RNT.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum