Duck Hunting Forum banner

Waterfowl in trouble

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dunk221999 
#1 ·
Go to :

kdcalls.com

read the article, post you thoughtd on the forum there...I will be forwarding the responses to USFWS, Congress...ect

Thanks

If your a member of the refuge forums or waterfolwer.com please post this there

#2 ·
I totally agree with this article. Nest sucess is the first problem that has contributed to low waterfowl populations. According to Delta Waterfowl a 15-20% nest success is needed to maintain the existing population. Well in 1992 they estimated the reproduction at 10%, therefore if the trend remains constant, then today it would be somewhere around 7%. Hmmmm its no wonder we arn't seeing as many ducks as we used to in our ponds.

When you drive down the road and look at the majority of the wetlands that are left in Minnesota, they all are surrounded by just a thin layer of grasses that could be used for nesting, which results in a pretty easy search for skunks, fox, and raccoons. Delta Waterfowls newest report on predator management showed that on there Cando block of 36,000 acres which was mostly crp, that when trapped and removed of predators, nest success was 86%. It seems to me that the solution the the continents duck population problem is getting figured out. CRP grasses and Predator Management.

All that is left for our conservation groups to do is to put money and a lot off effort into these area's and we should see some better results. Until then, if the problem keeps gettting more and more ignored, then we probobly won't even have a hunting season 10 years from now.

Lee Roberts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.