Pics of your spread.

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Re: Pics of your spread.

Postby addicted2ducks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Anchor up and put out just like you would on shore, as long as you have a boat. I have shot divers standing up in a boat with no cover. Shot a few while taking a leak even. They follow the lines in. It's cool to see. Lines, j shapes, balls, all work from my experiences. Just give a focal point other than you.[/quote]

I wish we had dumb birds to shoot down here. I guess by the time they get here in Jan. they have been educated by every shotgun and spread all the way down on the migration.
addicted2ducks
hunter

Postby Hook'em Hideout » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 am

Pic of half the spread.....
Attachments
image.jpg
Hook'em Hideout
hunter

Postby Robn1020 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Long line of bluebills on the right, puddle ducks in the middle, and buffies close off to the left.
18'44'' GoDevil w/ Stage 1 35 GDSD "Momma I wanna go fast!"
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk22 ... G_1555.jpg
Robn1020
hunter

Postby grahambiel66 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:05 pm

I'm gonna be running about 4 dozen dekes and I was thinking two dozen of them on long lines with a clump of sinlgles in front of the boat blind. Should I run a j with a really long single line or have a shorter double line leading in?
grahambiel66
hunter

Postby Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:41 pm

grahambiel66 wrote:I'm gonna be running about 4 dozen dekes and I was thinking two dozen of them on long lines with a clump of sinlgles in front of the boat blind. Should I run a j with a really long single line or have a shorter double line leading in?

I would make a "V" with two long lines (a dozen decoys each). Set the tips of the "V" about 25-30 yards apart and then the rest on single droppers in a clump at the point of the "V". Set up the shooters 10-15 yards off the clump.
Shade,
Yard Buck pro-staff trainee
Shade
hunter

Postby Scaup3 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:13 pm

Diver hunting touches my funny bone and have been hard at it for over 30 yrs here in MN. Even with the dwindling scaup population it is always enjoyable to put a big water spread out and watch all species decoy to it. We have in the past and still do the traditional hook pattern incorporating a few small family flocks in the pocket and large numbers of decoys upwind of the decoy spread. Keep the outside edge within shooting distance as many birds like to ride the open water when making passes. I don't believe spinning wing decoys do much to help on open big water (unless there a numbers of mallards around) but we put a half dozen out anyway. As soon as we dont do that a flock will pass us by and someone in the group will say "shoulda had the robo"s out!"
Scaup3
hunter

Postby grahambiel66 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Shade wrote:
grahambiel66 wrote:I'm gonna be running about 4 dozen dekes and I was thinking two dozen of them on long lines with a clump of sinlgles in front of the boat blind. Should I run a j with a really long single line or have a shorter double line leading in?

I would make a "V" with two long lines (a dozen decoys each). Set the tips of the "V" about 25-30 yards apart and then the rest on single droppers in a clump at the point of the "V". Set up the shooters 10-15 yards off the clump.

Where is the best place to get historical wind data? I've been looking around weather.com and can't really find what I'm looking for.
grahambiel66
hunter

Postby Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 pm

You belong to a local duck organization? Meet some old timers that know the area. Fishing shops, hunting stores, etc. People are always going to be the best resource. Get a weather app for your phone, or just check current winds online and start paying attention to "the normal". Typically during the course of a season, you will end up with two different wind patterns. Here in the greater Seattle area, sandwiched between puget sound and the cascade mountains, we don't get much east/west wind. It's a pretty fair bet that on any given day it's gonna be a SW wind or a NE wind. Knowing that we can almost always set up for a crossing shot and have a 50/50 shot at a wind at our backs without even checking. (I still check each morning though)

Ask around. You'll find someone who knows.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby CAM_C » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

Lots of good info, thanks
CAM_C
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Spread will change depending on location of hunt, wind, tides, river, flight paths, location of blind or whether you hunt out of layout boat with tenders. Our set up's change frequently. Read the wind and river and make sure you scout to see what the birds are doing. Similation of patterns never hurts. Sometime we run as few as two strings up to a dozen with a block. We parallel the strings to the shore and will slightly lead the ends in towards the landing zone or the shooting zone. To strong of a hook at time and the birds peel off the line. Give yourself good shooting lanes and set the decoys so the birds set up in front of you. If they are not finishing don't be scared to change things up, don't wait all day before you make a move. Hunt smart, unless you have all day to burn. We try to get in, shoot our birds and get out with out over presuring an area. If you have lots of fresh birds moving in that may not be as critical, but always a smart move to let the birds sit in an area as much as possible as it make for good shooting when they want to come back. :thumbsup:

Some enjoy sitting in a spot all day enjoying mother nature at it's finest. I try to enjoy it in a timely fashion as time is money. :thumbsup:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby bigbuckilla » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:17 am

bouy body + net rig spread
Attachments
ff 004 (640x480).jpg
ff 005 (640x480).jpg
ff 003 (640x480).jpg
ff 002 (640x480).jpg
ff 001 (640x480).jpg
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 am

1more
Attachments
ff 008 (640x480).jpg
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby slopestacker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:18 pm

how well do those net rigs work? ive seen them but never used one. i hunt the great lakes where the basic J or U set up with 5 to 9 dozen decoys usually does the trick. in the picture it looks like your hunting in a small lake or a back bay/marsh.
if the site of 50+ cans 20 yards from the decoys doesnt get you goin, somethings not right.
slopestacker
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:41 am

Well here in Oregon, not many diver hunters. We use 2 Doz Bills, a Doz Cans, and 6 Buffies. use half the cans for a string out the middle, two 6 decoy strings right and left, we make these about 30-40 yds long, and then the rest in a wad inside of the lines. Kinda like a "W" or a 3 point crown.... if that makes .... OK... Off to Paint for a diagram.... post it in a minute...
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:02 am

OK, this is what we hunt, and we limit out alot of times. Numbers help, but this spot is on a little island and there are 2 flyways on the lake that converge here, so it works good with the few decoys we have.

Hope the pic helps, kinda crude.
Last edited by tlrmike99 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:25 am

This was yesterday on Potomac river in Maryland. Not many divers here yet. It needs to get cold up north.
Attachments
image.jpg
ohioboy
hunter

Postby erp10 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 am

This was the second diver spread I put out in my life. I would have put mor puddlers at the back of the spread but with the fog that day I saw no reason to. All diver decoys are repainted puddlers.
Attachments
2012-11-17 08.21.29.jpg
erp10
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:39 pm

Did well this day out on Lake Erie. I think it was roughly 8 doz decoys, mix of blue bills, red heads, buffies.
Attachments
20121103_095626.jpg
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks guys... keep um coming... Im glad this sparked some serious interest in many guys eyes. I love all the responses. Divers have just shown up here in PA somweheat and i am actually going to be giving it a go on saturday morning for them!!! Thanks for all the pics guys, it really helped!

Goodluck out there and stay safe!

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:21 am

Here in Ireland we set em up like a crow foot in three lines say a dozen bluebills per line,We dont get canz or buffies!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:15 pm

I have my best luck when I just set a mass of diver weeks no blobs I think it looks more natural. I run puddlers in my spread too. I think mallards would get smart to seeing lines. Divers are retarded so...
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:20 am

When you guys mix in Canada's and Puddler's, do you just run them closer to shore in a seperate group? Do you leave space between puddler's and sea ducks is what I'm getting at?
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Shade » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm

OmegaRed wrote:When you guys mix in Canada's and Puddler's, do you just run them closer to shore in a seperate group? Do you leave space between puddler's and sea ducks is what I'm getting at?

Either way works for the divers, but if you want the puddle ducks to come in too, I have had better success when the puddle ducks are grouped off to the side... Not far, but like 5-10 yards of space.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

Postby ky lake mud pie » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:25 pm

Shade i tried setting up your what I call your sun rig on first set here in kentucky. i guess my question is how far off sore are these lines going? How much space between each line and then between each decoy? How deep of water are you usually setting up in? If you have a cross wind does this set up still work? We had birds decoying but i felt like they were landing way to far out. It might have to do with how much spacing i put between each line....on cross winds i wonder if something like this would work? Any advice i would appreciate

like a j hook with singles at the end and some lines leading to the hook

I get a ton of cross winds at this spot we do pretty good on just want to figure out how to get these birds to come in closer to the shore how long doe these lines need to be? How far off shore are you all setting up your lines? Thanks guys.
ky lake mud pie
hunter

Postby Shade » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 pm

I try to get my lines so that my furthest decoy is at about 50-55 yards from the blind, and I try to put the blind right on the edge of the water. I try to make sure that there is 20 yards of space between long-lines at the far end. And there is only about 5 yards between lines at the shore end. I usually hunt from shore and very rarely is the water too deep to wade at the far end of the lines. At times, when the tide is out, I will have decoys that are high and dry. I have found that if divers are looking hard and not committing, I need to give them bigger landing zones. Sometimes this means spreading out the lines more, and sometimes this means pulling some decoys. But more landing space usually does the trick. Try to do you best to get the birds to decoy in to the wind, but it should still work because that method can have almost 180° of direction. Which means that even if the wind were right in your face, you should still have crossing shots on each side of the spread. In WA we can't use motorized decoys so I don't even bother with a pull string, jerk rig, or wind duck. I don't call much.
Shade,
Shade
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Diver Duck Hunting