Jamestown Waterfowl Area

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby Tjengle » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm

Forget it
Last edited by Tjengle on Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tjengle
hunter

Re: Jamestown Waterfowl Area

Postby 2bd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:26 pm

i would suggest deleting this post and pm'n someone about it, or pick up the phone and call them. :thumbsup:

even talking about a certain place is enough to get 100's in the parking lot.
2bd
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:32 am

Yes you are internet scouting, read the TOS.
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 185
Season #2 197
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Please delete

Postby Tjengle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:43 am

Please delete
Tjengle
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:39 am

Any bets on the over/under for amount of hunters there this weekend.

The line will be set at 165...

Who's in?
Go Pack, the Bears still SUCK!

Co-Founder of the S.B.A.M.F.W.C.
rmb79
hunter

Postby 2bd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:00 pm

i would bet over
:mad:
2bd
hunter

Postby TBS » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:58 pm

rmb79 wrote:Any bets on the over/under for amount of hunters there this weekend.

The line will be set at 165...

Who's in?

That is way too low.....I was told the count from opening weekend of teal season was near 800. I'd say no less than 500 for the weekend, and probably 10-15 campers in the parking lot......There will be many guys from OOS staying to hunt during the entire week. Birds will be gone in less than 4 hours.........Have fun!
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby cONG » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 am

everything is lies
cONG
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:02 pm

Should have taken the under...110 hunters this morning.
radfordc
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:06 pm

radfordc wrote:Should have taken the under...110 hunters this morning.

165 is the line for the weekend total. Looks like the we are on course to far exceed that.

rmb79
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:27 am

So if I hunt two days I'm two hunters? Anyway, so far it's been good.
radfordc
hunter

Postby rmb79 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:27 am

radfordc wrote:So if I hunt two days I'm two hunters? Anyway, so far it's been good.

By that logic, if the 110 hunters hunted sat, and the same 110 hunters hunted sunday, then no one hunted sunday? The over under. Is for the total amount of hunters for the 2 day total. New day = new amount of hunters.

rmb79
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 am

What a great weekend of hunting. Saturday afternoon the teal were everywhere and they were flying good again this morning. Not many big ducks yet...my buddy did kill a widgeon.
radfordc
hunter

Postby 2bd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:18 pm

Tons of teal, made a great hunt. Seemed like there were more hunters sunday than on saturday.
2bd
hunter

Postby 2bd » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Anyone hear any info in the 2 shots that rang out on saturday about 6:30am? I heard a dog barking like crazy and shot, a guy yelling and another shot. Talked to the warden, he hinted the guy "took care of" the barking dog.
2bd
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:56 am

2bd wrote:Anyone hear any info in the 2 shots that rang out on saturday about 6:30am? I heard a dog barking like crazy and shot, a guy yelling and another shot. Talked to the warden, he hinted the guy "took care of" the barking dog.

I heard Dog barking for about 10 minutes straight with no stop. 1 shot.....silence.....2nd shot.....silence

If that guy did shoot his dog he needs to be in jail.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:35 am

Jail? It would be better to take away his gun owner ship rights for 5 years and his hunting rights for life.

Jails are full of people that get out and re commit crimes. Why not hit him where it really hurts?
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 am

radfordc wrote:Should have taken the under...110 hunters this morning.

Yes, and another 75-80 in the afternoon for a first day tally of just under 200.
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 am

EcatMagoo wrote:
2bd wrote:Anyone hear any info in the 2 shots that rang out on saturday about 6:30am? I heard a dog barking like crazy and shot, a guy yelling and another shot. Talked to the warden, he hinted the guy "took care of" the barking dog.

I heard Dog barking for about 10 minutes straight with no stop. 1 shot.....silence.....2nd shot.....silence

If that guy did shoot his dog he needs to be in jail.

:mad:

That is absolutely TERRIBLE! I wasn't out there in the morning and hadn't heard anything about that....I hope that guy gets what is coming to him!

UNBELIEVABLE!! Some people, I just don't understand.... :no:
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 am

radfordc wrote:What a great weekend of hunting. Saturday afternoon the teal were everywhere and they were flying good again this morning. Not many big ducks yet...my buddy did kill a widgeon.

I completely respect your opinion, and I understand you had a good time this weekend. However, I prefer to "decoy" ducks and there was very little of that happening this weekend. Pass shooting is more of a "dove hunting experience" IMO......either way, by Sunday morning 90% of the birds left prior to sunrise. They are already showing the signs of overpressure........too many hunters and too much pressure equals reduced hunting opportunities in my book.....atleast for those of us who like to set up a spread and call ducks into the hole....I saw more skybusting and cripples this weekend than I can ever recall.....what a shame :no: .........Either way, it is public hunting and that is just the way it is, we can either accept it, or find something else to do, because KS wetlands are going to be VERY crowded this year. And, with the new influence of the dept of tourism on KDWP, coupled with the current governor's policies, we will probably never again have public waterfowling opportunities like we did 10 years ago. Guess I'm just sad to see it go :crying:

I don't think we are too far removed from having a draw system in KS. As hunter numbers continue to rise and public water access continues to decline, I see no other solution for the long term.
Last edited by TBS on Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TBS
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 am

Hmmmmmm..... If the guy had taken his barking dog out of the marsh, straight to his vet, and had the dog put to sleep, would you still be all forming up in a lynch mob? His dog, his property. He has some rights of ownership, does he not?
If he'd broken the law, wouldn't the warden have arrested him instead of just saying "the man took care of the dog"?

I know how we all feel about our hunting dogs, but a dog is an animal just like a steer or chicken....and we eat them!
Granted, there were other, more politically correct, ways of dealing with a barking dog issue, but he had the right to choose which one to utilize. Have a great day! :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:40 am

TBS wrote:I don't think we are too far removed from having a draw system in KS. As hunter numbers continue to rise and public water access continues to decline, I see no other solution for the long term.

The other solution is wait until next season.
Keep in mind that this year is a VERY unusual year: no water in many of the other Early Zone refuges means abnormally-concentrated hunters in the few areas that are holding water/ducks. Hunter numbers are not rising appreciably, and public water has declined at the whim of Mother Nature; next year we may have TOO MUCH water!
No, this situation is not caused by increased Kansas hunter numbers and declining access (you could have gone to Cheyenne Bottoms and had all the room you wanted, anywhere on the refuge; no lack of access there), it was caused by the naturally occuring weather cycle. Nothing the KDWP can do to change that....and they shouldn't be trying.
Suck it up. Last two years were phenominal, this year is a write-off. On average, I'd say, we're doing just fine. Not the time for knee-jerk reactions.

I dealt with the draw system in another state for many, many years. Believe me, you do NOT want that system here. :fingerpt:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:57 am

mudpack wrote:Hmmmmmm..... If the guy had taken his barking dog out of the marsh, straight to his vet, and had the dog put to sleep, would you still be all forming up in a lynch mob? His dog, his property. He has some rights of ownership, does he not?
If he'd broken the law, wouldn't the warden have arrested him instead of just saying "the man took care of the dog"?

I know how we all feel about our hunting dogs, but a dog is an animal just like a steer or chicken....and we eat them!
Granted, there were other, more politically correct, ways of dealing with a barking dog issue, but he had the right to choose which one to utilize. Have a great day! :biggrin:

I really honestly can't argue with that.....he ultimately does have a right to decide the fate of his own dog (as long as he isn't doing something tortuous or inhumane), and I don't know the circumstances, but it seems to me, from the limited information I have that the dude lost control of his temper and instead of removing himself and the dog from the situation, he decided to shoot and kill it. As a moderately experienced dog traininer myself, I have to assume the dog was either unprepared for the situation, or confused. It should be the responsibility of the owner to handle the situation properly. IMO, yelling, screaming, and shooting the dog on a public marsh prior to LST was NOT the right way to handle it. :no:
TBS
hunter

Postby TBS » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:08 am

mudpack wrote:
TBS wrote:I don't think we are too far removed from having a draw system in KS. As hunter numbers continue to rise and public water access continues to decline, I see no other solution for the long term.

The other solution is wait until next season.
Keep in mind that this year is a VERY unusual year: no water in many of the other Early Zone refuges means abnormally-concentrated hunters in the few areas that are holding water/ducks. Hunter numbers are not rising appreciably, and public water has declined at the whim of Mother Nature; next year we may have TOO MUCH water!
No, this situation is not caused by increased Kansas hunter numbers and declining access (you could have gone to Cheyenne Bottoms and had all the room you wanted, anywhere on the refuge; no lack of access there), it was caused by the naturally occuring weather cycle. Nothing the KDWP can do to change that....and they shouldn't be trying.
Suck it up. Last two years were phenominal, this year is a write-off. On average, I'd say, we're doing just fine. Not the time for knee-jerk reactions.

I dealt with the draw system in another state for many, many years. Believe me, you do NOT want that system here. :fingerpt:

No, you are correct, I don't want a draw system. BUT, when there is too much demand for the available resources, something has to be done. This year is the exception due to the lack of river flow and pumping of public marshes, but lets face it KS hunter numbers are NOT declineing as a whole. We may have fewer resident hunters than previous years, but the growing number of non-residents is more than making up the difference. Fewer resident hunters can be attributed to many factors such as the trend of landowners leasing private lands. Also, much of it is due to the decline of upland bird numbers. However, waterfowl state stamps are on the rise. As a matter of fact, KS has the largest % increase is state waterfowl stamps in the country over the past 5 years. The large influx of non-resident hunters coupled with the increase in resident hunters switching to waterfowl from upland, along with the drought conditions combined have created a situation of extreme competition for a VERY limited resource.....KS public wetlands.
TBS
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:28 am

TBS,

I think you are over reacting a bit. I understand where you are coming from, but its still the best game around :thumbsup:

The glass is half full. Chin up
TomKat
Dorothy

Next

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting